Sheridan sets line on hypothetical Bama-Clemson Week 1 game, digs on the Gus Bus

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
al.com said:
Sheridan, who had taken to Twitter, said Dabo Swinney’s Tigers couldn’t go through an SEC schedule undefeated.
"Clemson has a great team. They could certainly compete in the SEC. They would not go undefeated in the SEC...Alabama would be a 3-point favorite if they played in Week 1."
"I would say (Gus Malzahn) is an underdog to be the Auburn coach after the season for a number of reasons. He runs the same high school offense he’s always run. That was proven."
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...son-week-1-matchup-calls-out-gus-malzahn.html

Love him or hate him, Sheridan knows what gets people going :D There's a lot more to read re: his tweaks on awburn.

Is it August yet?
RTR!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's also lost 25 games in the last 5 years, average of 5 a year. Saban has lost 21 games in 12 years. .
Yes but Gus is one of 3 active coaches that has beat him multiple times, and Saban always has trouble beating him down at Jerkin Hair Stadium. Ive never attended an Alabama game and been so nervous when we played a 6 win team than I was in 2015 @ Auburn.

I really think this is his last year since I think they will lose at least 4 games.
The problem is that everytime Gus is not hyped up for a season he wins big. Looking at their schedule....

Saturday
Aug. 31
W vs Oregon DucksAT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX7:30pm ETABCBuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 7
W Tulane Green WaveJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 14
W Kent State Golden FlashesJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 21
W at Texas A&M AggiesKyle Field, College Station, TXTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 28
W Mississippi State BulldogsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 5
T at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 12
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 19
W at Arkansas RazorbacksD.W.R. Razorback Stadium, Fayetteville, ARTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 26
T at LSU TigersTiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 2
W Ole Miss RebelsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 9
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 16
L Georgia BulldogsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 23
W Samford BulldogsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 30
L Alabama Crimson TideJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBA

I see 8 Wins off the bat, 2 tossups, and 2 losses. The thing about the tossups are that Florida has a serious problem about beating Auburn period, and Auburn hasn't won at Tiger Stadium since Dinardo walked the sidelines. But I can see Auburn at worst splitting, but I can realistically see them winning both due to Florida being a work in progress and Oeaux without talent so that brings us to 9-10 wins before we factor in UGA and Bama. But here is the thing, Kirby has not won on the road vs the SECW yet, and I have a feeling UGA is not going to have the season they are expecting. So its entirely possible the SECW can be decided at the Iron Bowl.

I predict a pretty good to a really good Auburn season this year, but I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Auburn is weird. I could see them doing what 81 said but I could also see them starting the season 2-2 and looking at a 6 loss season

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Mario (Oregon) is familiar enough with awbern that they won't be totally surprised by the smoke and mirrors offense that caught Washington last year...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mario (Oregon) is familiar enough with awbern that they won't be totally surprised by the smoke and mirrors offense that caught Washington last year...
Maybe, but that Washington team that played them last year was leagues better on defense than what Oregon brings back this year on defense. Point is Oregon beating them will likely be decided off talent and physicality not the fact that Cristobal knows Gus's offense.... Hell Saban knows his offense and has only blown him out once with far better defenses than Oregon has had in the last 20 years. I don't see Oregon keeping it close against Auburn with their defense.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe, but that Washington team that played them last year was leagues better on defense than what Oregon brings back this year on defense. Point is Oregon beating them will likely be decided off talent and physicality not the fact that Cristobal knows Gus's offense.... Hell Saban knows his offense and has only blown him out once with far better defenses than Oregon has had in the last 20 years. I don't see Oregon keeping it close against Auburn with their defense.
Conversely, Auburn returned more offensive power last year than they do this year.

Then, there's the Jack Lockler vs. Justin Herbert debate.

IIRC, it was more Auburn's defense and Washington's inept offense that won Auburn the game last year than Auburn's offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I predict a pretty good to a really good Auburn season this year, but I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass.
I think that Auburn will struggle to win 8 games this year. I could as easily see them only winning 6 as winning 8. I don't give them a prayer of winning 10+.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Conversely, Auburn returned more offensive power last year than they do this year.

Then, there's the Jack Lockler vs. Justin Herbert debate.

IIRC, it was more Auburn's defense and Washington's inept offense that won Auburn the game last year than Auburn's offense.
I think you mean Browning.

Auburn's defense is going to kill Herbert, and I think everyone deep down knows it. Oregon's only hope is that Auburn's offense is so bad that they cant move it on a defense that only kept 1 PAC 12 team under 20 last year.

I think that Auburn will struggle to win 8 games this year. I could as easily see them only winning 6 as winning 8. I don't give them a prayer of winning 10+.
Might want to check again. Auburn is probably the 2nd best team in the West this year. aTm and LSU are fools gold, and the Mississippis are going down down down. Unless you expect some serious movement from Arkansas then that is 4-6 wins there, but we'll go middle and say 5. So that's 8 right there, and I see no way Auburn loses to Oregon so 9 right there. That leaves Florida, UGA, and Alabama. Ill level and say for sure they lose the obvious 2, but Florida is a real weird game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Auburn's defense is going to kill Herbert, and I think everyone deep down knows it. Oregon's only hope is that Auburn's offense is so bad that they cant move it on a defense that only kept 1 PAC 12 team under 20 last year.

Might want to check again. Auburn is probably the 2nd best team in the West this year. aTm and LSU are fools gold, and the Mississippis are going down down down. Unless you expect some serious movement from Arkansas then that is 4-6 wins there, but we'll go middle and say 5. So that's 8 right there, and I see no way Auburn loses to Oregon so 9 right there. That leaves Florida, UGA, and Alabama. Ill level and say for sure they lose the obvious 2, but Florida is a real weird game.
Didn't Auburn lose to Tennessee last year?

They may very well beat Oregon, LSU and aTm but I think you're a little too confident in that. It's not as though they crushed Washington last year either.

Not to mention they play LSU and aTm on the road. Plus not sure we have a clear idea of how good or bad their QB play will be.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well I for one am hoping you are wrong and they exceed expectations by winning 9 games next year. We need to keep the bus parked at the University of Auburn for at least 5 more years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yeah, meant Browning.

Until we see what kind of QB play Auburn is going to get, I'm not sure we can say anything about their season. They do return all five starters on the OL, but the OL was not that great last year. Playing TAMU, Florida, and LSU all on the road with a first time starting QB can be pretty challenging.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Gus' record against CNS is really more about Auburn vs. Alabama. Any coach they put on the field has a fighting chance against Bama...even a CNS coached Bama because it's the ONE game a year that matters most to them.

I will never want us to get so narrow in our thinking that beating Auburn is all that matters, but, to give credit where credit is due, sometimes I wish we hated them and wanted to beat them half as much as they hate us and want to beat us. I'm not talking about "the fans," I'm talking about the players. Their players buy into the hype of hating/beating Bama better than CNS allows our players. It's part of his brilliance to play one game at a time, but it's partly the reason they'll beat us sometimes when they have no business beating us.

FWIW, I hope they lose every game they play this year but look for them to win around 7-8 games and play us as tough as anybody. It's "who" they are.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yeah, meant Browning.

Until we see what kind of QB play Auburn is going to get, I'm not sure we can say anything about their season. They do return all five starters on the OL, but the OL was not that great last year. Playing TAMU, Florida, and LSU all on the road with a first time starting QB can be pretty challenging.
Agreed and the whole key to their season is Oregon IMO. Lose and they could spiral since the noise from fans and media will be extreme.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Yeah, meant Browning.

auburn OL is one injury away from a train wreck. they currently have 10 OL on scholarships.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.