Sheridan sets line on hypothetical Bama-Clemson Week 1 game, digs on the Gus Bus

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not to mention they play LSU and aTm on the road. Plus not sure we have a clear idea of how good or bad their QB play will be.
I can tell you that I'm confident that aTm and LSU wont be anywhere near as good as what they were last year, and both teams maybe fighting for 8-4 or 7-5. Auburn is a lot more stable than both teams, and more than likely the team that challenges us for the West.

You mention aTm on the road... Auburn has NEVER lost in College Station. On the flipside LSU hasn't lost to Auburn since Tuberville and Dinardo faced off. So......

It just seems every time when Auburn returns a good deal of players on defense, LSU loses a lot on defense, and Bama fans are predicting 5 or more losses for Auburn in a year that we have to go to JHS Auburn always seems to shoot the moon record wise. Maybe 9-10 wins is too much, but I can tell you for a fact Auburn wont struggle for 8 wins.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Looking at their schedule it looks like about 6-6 to me if it shakes out as I expect. But they'll probably win 1 or 2 they shouldn't a lose one they shouldn't. Again, I think about 7-5 regular season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yes but Gus is one of 3 active coaches that has beat him multiple times, and Saban always has trouble beating him down at Jerkin Hair Stadium. Ive never attended an Alabama game and been so nervous when we played a 6 win team than I was in 2015 @ Auburn.

The problem is that everytime Gus is not hyped up for a season he wins big. Looking at their schedule....

Saturday
Aug. 31
W vs Oregon DucksAT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX7:30pm ETABCBuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 7
W Tulane Green WaveJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 14
W Kent State Golden FlashesJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 21
W at Texas A&M AggiesKyle Field, College Station, TXTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 28
W Mississippi State BulldogsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 5
T at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 12
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 19
W at Arkansas RazorbacksD.W.R. Razorback Stadium, Fayetteville, ARTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 26
T at LSU TigersTiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 2
W Ole Miss RebelsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 9
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 16
L Georgia BulldogsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 23
W Samford BulldogsJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 30
L Alabama Crimson TideJordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, ALTime TBA ETTV TBA

I see 8 Wins off the bat, 2 tossups, and 2 losses. The thing about the tossups are that Florida has a serious problem about beating Auburn period, and Auburn hasn't won at Tiger Stadium since Dinardo walked the sidelines. But I can see Auburn at worst splitting, but I can realistically see them winning both due to Florida being a work in progress and Oeaux without talent so that brings us to 9-10 wins before we factor in UGA and Bama. But here is the thing, Kirby has not won on the road vs the SECW yet, and I have a feeling UGA is not going to have the season they are expecting. So its entirely possible the SECW can be decided at the Iron Bowl.

I predict a pretty good to a really good Auburn season this year, but I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass.
I just noticed their last four games are at home which is strange. The first 8 games are going to be key to their season, however, the last two at home they will be underdogs..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Might want to check again. Auburn is probably the 2nd best team in the West this year. aTm and LSU are fools gold, and the Mississippis are going down down down. Unless you expect some serious movement from Arkansas then that is 4-6 wins there, but we'll go middle and say 5. So that's 8 right there, and I see no way Auburn loses to Oregon so 9 right there. That leaves Florida, UGA, and Alabama. Ill level and say for sure they lose the obvious 2, but Florida is a real weird game.
Check for what? We have no idea until the games are played - we are guessing. Based on talent alone, LSU ans aTm are both better teams, and they both probably have better coaches. FL has a better coach with equivalent talent. GA and Alabama should dismantle them. And when Gus' teams implode, they do so royally, so losses to teams like Oregon or MS State are not out of the question.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
. Playing TAMU, Florida, and LSU all on the road with a first time starting QB can be pretty challenging.
Its not exactly the road games that we should be concerned about. Lets just say they win two of those (Which I'm telling you aTm is a definite win for Auburn and you have to figure at worse they split with a Florida team about 2-3 years away and Oeux's luck has to run out with the lack of experience and talent coming back) they still play their toughest games at home. Kirby has a huge problem at beating any west team on the road, and has been blown out all three years in that particular game. So are you 100% confident in UGA going on the road in that house of horrors?

Auburn is talented enough to beat anyone on their schedule, and its usually in years where they aren't hyped to do anything and years where most of the West is losing a lot of players that they make a big run.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Auburn is talented enough to beat anyone on their schedule, and its usually in years where they aren't hyped to do anything and years where most of the West is losing a lot of players that they make a big run.
Look, I know that you know this, but I'll remind you - their HS offense relies on dominant play by their QB and RB. We have no idea what they will get from either of those positions yet. I am not sure why you are so confident in a team that is a complete unknown right now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Based on talent alone, LSU ans aTm are both better teams,.
What metric are you using? LSU and aTm lost way more key players than Auburn did this past year.

and they both probably have better coaches..
Jimbo yes, but Oeaux Hell no. Yes I do realize Oeaux is 2-0, but pulling games out of your butt doesnt exactly mean you are a better coach. I guess one would have to believe Gus and Les are equals if you want to go off that logic.

FL has a better coach with equivalent talent..
One who is 2-3 vs Gus with superior qb play every year. And a coach that finds ways to lose many many inexplicable games himself. Florida is 2-3 years away from being a great team, and it never fails that they lose to Auburn when they have no reason to.

And when Gus' teams implode, they do so royally, so losses to teams like Oregon or MS State are not out of the question.
Yeah but when they go on a run with Gus they royally overachieve to the tune of beating UGA and Alabama. It works both ways

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah but when they go on a run with Gus they royally overachieve to the tune of beating UGA and Alabama. It works both ways
I don't disagree with your guesses - I just see them as guesses. I am guessing in another direction - just guessing - and it makes me happy to think of Auburn as a 6 win team, so I'll ride with that for now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Look, I know that you know this, but I'll remind you - their HS offense relies on dominant play by their QB and RB. We have no idea what they will get from either of those positions yet. .
Yeah but that highschool offense has beaten Saban twice in 6 years, and both times we had no idea how good the qb and rb play would be.

I am not sure why you are so confident in a team that is a complete unknown right now.
Im more confident in what is known... they are going to have a defense that gives most people hell. I am more confident in their system of unknowns on offense than I am of either of LSU and aTm's trash qbs with no role players and lack of defenses. Its just setting up for that typical out of nowhere season that Auburn has.

Ill say 9 wins, but there is noway they struggle to hit 8 imo.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah but that highschool offense has beaten Saban twice in 6 years, and both times we had no idea how good the qb and rb play would be.

Im more confident in what is known... they are going to have a defense that gives most people hell. I am more confident in their system of unknowns on offense than I am of either of LSU and aTm's trash qbs with no role players and lack of defenses. Its just setting up for that typical out of nowhere season that Auburn has.

Ill say 9 wins, but there is noway they struggle to hit 8 imo.
I get every team has questions, but you’re dismissing two teams that return QBs. One beat Auburn on the road while the other came close to doing the same.

We had no idea how good Stidham was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get every team has questions, but you’re dismissing two teams that return QBs. One beat Auburn on the road while the other came close to doing the same.

We had no idea how good Stidham was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you have a Game breaker type qb in which the quarterback is the offense, I don’t think saying “ well we have our qb coming back” is that important. I mean it might help but without the pieces that are critical around him it’s just a returning starter. Look at Stidham last year and compare him from the year before.

Burrow is a horrible qb, and Mond is an average at best qb. Both lost a ton of what masked their horrible play. Especially on offense in Mond’s case. Burrow will probably be walking on egg shells once he finds out he doesn’t have a defense to bail him out anymore.

I would just be more willing to trust Auburn’s defense over anything either LSU or aTm has to offer at this point.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Unless you have a Game breaker type qb in which the quarterback is the offense, I don’t think saying “ well we have our qb coming back” is that important. I mean it might help but without the pieces that are critical around him it’s just a returning starter. Look at Stidham last year and compare him from the year before.

Burrow is a horrible qb, and Mond is an average at best qb. Both lost a ton of what masked their horrible play. Especially on offense in Mond’s case. Burrow will probably be walking on egg shells once he finds out he doesn’t have a defense to bail him out anymore.

I would just be more willing to trust Auburn’s defense over anything either LSU or aTm has to offer at this point.
I believe you are underestimating both Burrow and Mond. Both are better than you are making them out to be. Stidham's 2nd year is the exception and not the rule. Most QB's improve tremendously in year 2 and I expect them both to do so also. The Barn will finish 4th in the west and Gus will be sent packing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I believe you are underestimating both Burrow and Mond. Both are better than you are making them out to be. Stidham's 2nd year is the exception and not the rule. Most QB's improve tremendously in year 2 and I expect them both to do so also. The Barn will finish 4th in the west and Gus will be sent packing.
A 40% passer (Burrow) for more than half the year isn’t a good quarterback by any stretch of the imagination. Had it not been for Ole Miss, Rice, and UCF he would’ve had 40% for the season. Unless Oeaux found some quarterback guru that we are unaware of then it’s safe to say he isn’t going to get any better, and the losses are going to be far more with that defense being decimated by the draft. Danny Etling was actually better than this “messiah”.

Mond has some of his best weapons on offense. Most importantly his TE. He is still going to make plays. But again he has faced this Auburn defense twice and been donkey punched by it twice. Unless you think he is due then I think year 3 vs Auburn will go like year 1 and 2

LSU under Oeaux is due to have that signature Oeaux collapse and I’m calling for it this year after they get destroyed in Austin week 2. I’m telling y’all here and now that this aTm team is going to take a step back and I’ve had several very knowledgeable aTm fans tell me that this is not going to be a good year, and they are predicting a belk and Music City Bowl type year at best. Does that necessarily translate to Auburn being #2 in the West... no but I’m playing the odds that LSU is the clown show that we have been thinking they were destined to be for the last two years and aTm is a few years from something.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I am with you. Lets just see it played out on the field. Any team that goes into Columbia or College Station without expecting a war has a lot to learn ditto against LSU and Auburn. I would comment as well that Tennessee will come to play. We know that with bad bounce any of these can become a challenging game. If anyone believes any of them are a done deal I would invite them to go to CNS's press conference and ask him, again, does he expect to play a lot of folks against any of these teams or if it would be OK to lose one of the early games!

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Its not exactly the road games that we should be concerned about. Lets just say they win two of those (Which I'm telling you aTm is a definite win for Auburn and you have to figure at worse they split with a Florida team about 2-3 years away and Oeux's luck has to run out with the lack of experience and talent coming back) they still play their toughest games at home. Kirby has a huge problem at beating any west team on the road, and has been blown out all three years in that particular game. So are you 100% confident in UGA going on the road in that house of horrors?

Me thinks you are vastly underestimating aTm.....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Do you even know who the awbern qb is?

Talent wise, LSU reloads.

Jumbo and Mullen are far better coaches than Gus.

Gus seems to pull several out of his butt too.

Just sayin'...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.