Sheridan sets line on hypothetical Bama-Clemson Week 1 game, digs on the Gus Bus

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well I can tell you for a fact from someone at the game that no one in the Alabama section had warm fuzzies about the game being in hand until we stopped them on 4th down late in the game. So 0 stretch. They made a very competitive game.

And if we are basing a game off stats then why was the National Championship last year a blowout Clemson’s way. Or why did we beat LSU in 2017? You can’t base a game’s outcome solely on stats.
A different take...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Years ago, I gave up trying to predict the barn.

They confound expectations both ways. Most dangerous when they're an underdog, especially at home. But can't handle pre-season expectations.

I don't know what they're going to do. Their QB is likely to be a true freshman. They return no credible running game. And while all offenses are QB-centric, Malzahn's is off the charts in that respect. Plus, it leans heavily on a good power back between the tackles. There's no reason to think they will have either next year.

OL should be better, and who knows on D? Plus, with the transfers they've had, they're thin and vulnerable to injury.

All that said, they have a remarkable ability to rise up in adversity and cause all manner of trouble.

I wish I could predict them...Warren Buffett and Bill Gates would have me on their speed dial. Buffett and Gates don't have me on their speed dial.
This perfectly encapsulates how I feel about Auburn now. I try not to pile on the "We'll destroy them by 100 this time" comments because they've beaten Alabama when on paper, Alabama should win the game comfortably. That sentiment doesn't change how the game itself actually played out. So, I hope we beat Auburn, in Auburn this season. Even an Auburn team that's struggling at the start of the season can get on a run, and be confident in beating Alabama in their Super Bowl.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I could see Auburn dropping 3 games.
Auburn will likely keep Gus if they lose 3 games.
Lose 4 and the Wheels Come Off The Bus.

All bets are off if Auburn accidently beats Georgia, or Alabama.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well I can tell you for a fact from someone at the game that no one in the Alabama section had warm fuzzies about the game being in hand until we stopped them on 4th down late in the game. So 0 stretch. They made a very competitive game.

And if we are basing a game off stats then why was the National Championship last year a blowout Clemson’s way. Or why did we beat LSU in 2017? You can’t base a game’s outcome solely on stats.
I'm sure if you were there, it would be a different feeling. You're expecting the worst. But watching on TV, I never thought that game was in doubt. They had one big play. We were slowly choking them out, like the Saban teams did before Kiffin came around. Sure, something crazy could have happened that would have changed the tenor of the game, but it did not seem apparent at all. It was nothing at all like 2013, for example.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Might want to check again. Auburn is probably the 2nd best team in the West this year. aTm and LSU are fools gold, and the Mississippis are going down down down. Unless you expect some serious movement from Arkansas then that is 4-6 wins there, but we'll go middle and say 5. So that's 8 right there, and I see no way Auburn loses to Oregon so 9 right there. That leaves Florida, UGA, and Alabama. Ill level and say for sure they lose the obvious 2, but Florida is a real weird game.
Just not sure I buy that. Jimbo exceeded expectations in year one, has very good talent, and definitely has the QB edge vs Auburn. The trip to Baton Rouge will be a very hard trip on a young QB. Even the Bayou Tigers will have a better QB than Auburn.

The next QB recruit that Gus develops will be his first. Gus will hype him as a Heisman winner but then the guy, whoever it is, will have to go out and execute.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
What an awesome thread.

So so many great, intelligent insights, well above my knowledge.

My only thought early in this conversation was.....

S.N.A.S.S.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.