Question: Am I wrong for expecting some level of customer service at a fast food restaurant?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
After writing my first yelp and google review about a fast food joint (not naming it because my location may give it away), and reading other yelp reviews on this same restaurant Ive been asking myself am I in the right in terms of expectations. I mean most of the reviews are 5 star based on the quality of food with no mention of customer service.

Here is my experience at this place: Ive went to this place multiple of times (like 6 times in the last 2 months) and the last 4 have been horrible interactions with the person at the window (different people each time). This last time I pull up the girl says absolutely nothing to me, mean mugs me, and throws my food, drink, and card back at me. She messes up my order (not horribly but still some things are missing), gives me a half ice and half ice cream shake, and gives me a burnt hamburger. To top it all off, she doesn't have the time to smile or say "how you are doing" or how much my order is but has the time to dance with her coworkers while I am right there.

My question is if my expectations of fast food customer service are skewed or not. Because my expectations are generally give me a 20% effort at the very least to make me want to come back again..

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Re: Am I wrong for expecting some level of customer service at a fast food restraunt?

Just one of the many reasons to not eat fast food. I don't eat fast food very much. Usually about once every 2 months, I will do it and regret it. I have found the only place where the workers actually seem happy is Chick-Fil-A. Every where else, the workers seem to be really annoyed people are there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Am I wrong for expecting some level of customer service at a fast food restraunt?

Just one of the many reasons to not eat fast food. I don't eat fast food very much. Usually about once every 2 months, I will do it and regret it. I have found the only place where the workers actually seem happy is Chick-Fil-A. Every where else, the workers seem to be really annoyed people are there.
Yeah I've only had 1 bad experience in my life at Chick Fila and it was more of a person trying to get fired... I reported it to Chick fila and they gave me a free meal. I think Chickfila maybe the only safe place to go. But this particular restaurant seems to go out of its way to make me not wanna go back. I understand that fast food is typically low in customer service, but good god I thought you would get a degree of customer service.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

No, you are not wrong whatsoever. I think part of the problem is we've correlated amount of wage with customer service in that we've said "It's okay if customer service lacks because they have a low wage." Which to me should have nothing to do with it. I get so tired of hearing people say "What do you expect? They only make minimum wage." When in actuality, that same employee would give you the same effort at $15/hour. So the correlation is flawed.

We had the same problem at a pharmacy that we no longer use to fill our medicines. Worst customer service of any business I've ever experienced. Its one particular Wal Greens in our area. You can walk up to the counter, have an employee standing at the computer terminal literally less then five feet from you behind the counter. They'll let you sit there for a good 10 minutes before even acknowledging that you're there. Then, when they finally acknowledge you're there they act like you're the reason for all their problems in life. The complaints of this place has to be in record numbers. But nothing is ever done. I refuse to be treated like that and willfully give them my money.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If I keep getting bad service, I stop going there. I know every place has a bad day, so I don’t boycott over one bad visit, but if it continues, I go somewhere else. And I never complain to management. Not worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

If I keep getting bad service, I stop going there. I know every place has a bad day, so I don’t boycott over one bad visit, but if it continues, I go somewhere else. And I never complain to management. Not worth the trouble.

Agreed. However, customer service or the lack thereof is becoming more common in places whose business model is rooted in customer service.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

Places are trying to “fix it fast” instead of “fix it with a smile”. I’ve always said that someone hired to provide customer service needs to have an empathetic, servings heart. Those are hard to find. I’d rather hits someone who’s genuinely wants to help someone and teach them the product than hire a product expert who could care less about those they are to help.
I used to work at a place that was implementing a thing where every single fix and process was written down in an attempt to make it so a one-eyed drunk monkey could look up the problem and provide support. They are removing the warmth of a technician showing up and helping you out. They are removing that human interaction. The goal is to fix it faster they say. The problem is, multiple high quality people have left over the changes and the customer base would rather have the smiling technician that they have learned to trust, in their office.
I say all that to say that I think a lot of “customer service” is misguided. Chick-Fil-A has it right. Use your manners, be kind, make the person you are helping the only person that matters.

Agreed. However, customer service or the lack thereof is becoming more common in places whose business model is rooted in customer service.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Am I wrong for expecting some level of customer service at a fast food restraunt?

The only fast food place that I get good service at every time is Chick-fil-a. Coincidentally, also the only one who is closed on Sundays (which means everyone gets at least 1 weekend day off) land really values their employees, with good benefits and true opportunities to advance up the ladder in the company. Umm, who would have ever thought that if you treat you employees good, they’ll treat your customers good and just enjoy the job more.

Most other fast food places do not value their employees. They are treated as expendable so, that’s how they treat their customers.

I will say that I have had more positive experiences than bad at Jacks and Whataburger. Not Chick-fil-a good but better than most.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Personally, I don't need someone asking about my day, my family or anything like that. It' s more about what I don't want as a customer. I don't want someone's bad attitude, bad day, bad feelings, life's problems etc. to be taken out on me like I'm the one to blame.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

I think its a very realistic expectation to have decent customer service. Agree 100% with Bamabuzzard on his assessment. Just be nice and treat me with a little respect and I will in turn give you respect back.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Not fast food, but I’ve always been impressed with Costco’s customer service.

For fast food, In and Out has been good as well from what I have experienced.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

[video]https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/RT5y6X0V/qwqy8R.mp4?1528129488685[/video]

Short answer 'yes' with an 'if'; long answer 'no' with a 'but'

For myself, the price and quality of fast food just isn't worth it. I can get a marmita (to go box) from the local Brasilian restaurant with rice, beans, chicken and beef for the price of a big mac meal.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

[video]https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/RT5y6X0V/qwqy8R.mp4?1528129488685[/video]

Short answer 'yes' with an 'if'; long answer 'no' with a 'but'

For myself, the price and quality of fast food just isn't worth it. I can get a marmita (to go box) from the local Brasilian restaurant with rice, beans, chicken and beef for the price of a big mac meal.
I travel for work so I eat out a lot. I also try to avoid fast food. If you get water and order from the lunch menu, you can get out fairly cheaply at a sit down place.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al

I agree with some on this board that chick-fil-a has it going on hands down. If I am traveling and have to eat fast food it is no brainer to where I will go. Their working model is hands down the best. Also that is why they are the most crowded day in and out.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I agree with some on this board that chick-fil-a has it going on hands down. If I am traveling and have to eat fast food it is no brainer to where I will go. Their working model is hands down the best. Also that is why they are the most crowded day in and out.
Whoever designed their drive-through system is a genius.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I've watched them handle a drive-thru wrapped completely around the restaurant faster and more efficient than most fast food places do with three cars in their drive-thru.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005

As a sufferer of IBS I know that when I'm traveling CFA is the one place I can eat on the road and not have issues later on.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I've watched them handle a drive-thru wrapped completely around the restaurant faster and more efficient than most fast food places do with three cars in their drive-thru.
There is a Chick-Fil_A near me that also has a Starbucks and Interstate ramp traffic and they never have tie ups. It really is amazing how quickly they get people through.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

There is a Chick-Fil_A near me that also has a Starbucks and Interstate ramp traffic and they never have tie ups. It really is amazing how quickly they get people through.
Yeah, they do a great job of hiring high quality, competent employees. I think the systems in place are a big help. But if you don't have quality employees to operate within the system. It doesn't work. They've got customer service down to an art form.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.