Alabama - Clemson V

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We have zero challenges until November.
that is because you are Alabama. Some of those games would give most schools fits.

ETA - Clemson's toughest opponent this season is aTm - one of those opponents that you say will provide Alabama "zero challenges". Imagine if your entire season were that easy. The CFP would be a given.

Last edited:

Clemson81to85

Aug 26, 2017
Clemson fan here.
First let me say what an honor it has been to have played Alabama in the playoffs these past four years. After I respectfully disagree with a couple of things that have been said since January, I will say some of the very nice things I feel about Alabama. I certainly don't disagree that we benefited from a very weak 2018 ACC, which was shockingly weaker than the weak 2017 ACC. Having said that, however, I feel that people are stating that Clemson has a free ride every year and that has not been the case.
The 2016 National Championship team, for example, made it through an ACC that many agreed was the nation's best league at the end of that season. The post championship poll that year included #1 Clemson (I know we don't play ourselves), #8 Florida State ( Defeated Michigan in Orange Bowland five straight over Florida), #16 Virginia Tech (defeated Arkansas in Bowl), #20 Miami, #21 Louisville (Heisman Trophy winner). We also beat #4 Ohio State in the Fiesta, #24 Auburn and Georgia Tech, which defeated Georgia in Athens that year. I hear you on saying we had an easy road in 2018, but please don't group 2016 in that declaration. It does a disservice to Alabama in either instance as much as it does to Clemson. In 2015 we had to beat #5 Oklahoma, #11 Notre Dame, #14 FSU, #15 North Carolina,
I also hear quite a bit about the playoff draw. Alabama had to play Oklahoma in the heat and humidity of Miami, while Clemson got to play Notre Dame indoors in Dallas. Well, in 2015, we had to play Oklahoma in the heat and humidity in Miami, while Alabama played Michigan State indoors in Dallas. You all played Georgia in the conference title game this year while we got to play Pitt. Last year, we played Miami, while you had the week off. I know, probably not much easier than playing Miami. I'll beat you to that punch line. Again, I am just trying to point out that because the ACC was down the last two years, it doesn't mean it was down in 2016. We also play a couple of SEC teams every year. I know yall beat Tex AM worse than we did, but it was a tough out in College Station in the second week of the season. Had a 28-13 lead and let them climb back in it. And their crowd became a factor.
If I live to be 100, I will likely never see Clemson with double digit football national championships, let alone 17 like Bama has. Heck, I might not see another one. But I am as proud and thrilled with our three as anyone could be. And I am especially proud considering the last two came over Alabama, the very best program of all time. Alabama has been, is now, and forever will be considered the greatest college football program of them all. A Bama friend was congratulating me the next day and what I told them that morning, is just exactly what I believe today. And that is that the game got away from Bama during a span of about 11 game minutes, the last five minutes of the first half and the first six minutes of the second half. If the two teams played in a week, or three days, or two hours later the result could just as easily be a close Bama win or a blowout Bama win.
At some point, hopefully after Dabo retires and not before, Clemson will revert back to the norm for us, which is a good to very good program, but not perennial national title contender. When that happens, I will look back with pride at this period of playing in the playoffs and even winning a couple of titles. The biggest part of that pride will come from the fact that we had to line up against the best of all time. I also told my Bama friend that Alabama will win many more titles in the future than we will ever play for. But again, when you make that declaration about the "free ride" to the playoff, please don't lump in every time we've made it. And though I concede this year was an easy pass, we still had to beat #2 Bama, #5 Notre Dame, #15 Syracuse and #16 Tex Am to win the title.
Good luck to you folks in 2019, but you won't need it. I fully expect Bama to be in the title game and probably win it.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Clemson fan here.
Welcome.

I don't think that anyone is saying that the ACC always has been terrible, or that it always will be terrible, but it is terrible now, and has been for a few years and this has helped Clemson tremendously.

The weakness of the B1G helped Meyer rebuild my school's football program more quickly than would have otherwise been possible, and kept us on top, and the B1G was never as weak as the ACC is right now.

Essentially, Clemson has a free pass to the CFP right now. Even if you lose to your toughest opponent (an average SEC team), you will still go undefeated in the ACC and make the CFP.

JazzBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 17, 2018
JazzBama here. Used to be MaxBama but somehow lost my former sign in and password. So, starting over. My view is we will see
Clemson again for all the obvious reasons. I think we will respond much like we did earlier when we didn't "Finish". Coach Saban and staff will make sure the team focuses on working hard to correct what happened last year.

I hate the long summer and can't wait for fall to get here. I look forward to having good topics to discuss and really appreciate the knowledge and enthusiasm of this board.

Roll Tide!

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
Not sure if he is trolling, being obtuse, or just trying to find a way to fit in here. But he has not recognized the free pass that Clemson is getting to the CFP, so I suspect one of the former.

You guys are so used to being at or around the top.

Clemson is not used to it.

Apparently most Bama fans have swallowed the Clemson "free pass" idea, so, there's no need offering any other viewpoint.

Like you guys, we're really excited about what this upcoming season will bring.

Peace.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Apparently most Bama fans have swallowed the Clemson "free pass" idea, so, there's no need offering any other viewpoint.
Fair enough, but to be clear, the entire college football world recognizes this. The only fans that think otherwise are fans of ACC schools.

Clemson has a dominant program right now. You shouldn't want more competition. Be happy for the free pass. Every school wishes that they could get one. This ride won't go on forever, so enjoy it while it lasts.

:cheers2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Not sure if he is trolling, being obtuse, or just trying to find a way to fit in here. But he has not recognized the free pass that Clemson is getting to the CFP, so I suspect one of the former.
Me thinks that you nailed it..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Until recently, we haven't cake walked through anything. We struggled twice last season.

I personally have little interest in the conference mantra. To me it's just a thingy allowing every football show to have something to argue over.

Alabama will be absolute favorites in every game they play during the season.

Clemson will be absolute favorites in every game they play during the season.

But Bama will be more tired??

Even with the time off leading up to the post season games?
How many future NFL players did Clemson face compared to Alabama, especially in the trenches?

That will provide your answer.

YES Alabama was more tired going into the playoffs and especially coming out of the semi-final game than Clemson was. It made a huge difference, although it was not the only reason Clemson won. Clemson does not need to ever apologize for this; no one is going to take the trophy away unless the ncaa does for some stupid reason years down the road. The month off leading up to the playoffs is not enough time to completely heal from the season long grind. It helps a great deal, but you're not 100% going into those playoff/bowl games. And then you play that semi-final against another great team and it takes you down another couple of notches.

Clemson did not play another great team in the Cotton Bowl. And again, Clemson owes no one an apology for that. But to gloss over it is to be obtuse.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
By the way, I hated the playoff draw we got. 1st of all, Notre Dame wasn't even one of the 4 best teams. They may not have been one of the 10 best teams. But they went 12-0 so what are you going to do with them? Still they should have been the #4 seed. I knew as soon as it was announced, we were going to be at the disadvantage coming out of the semis. We would have to chase Oklahoma around all night in the Miami humidity, and Clemson would steamroll Notre Dame in the air conditioned Jerry Dome.

It was the worst draw we could get. Just so we are clear, I would have much preferred Clemson's route than ours. That should tell you something.

Clemson81to85

Aug 26, 2017
Welcome.

I don't think that anyone is saying that the ACC always has been terrible, or that it always will be terrible, but it is terrible now, and has been for a few years and this has helped Clemson tremendously.

The weakness of the B1G helped Meyer rebuild my school's football program more quickly than would have otherwise been possible, and kept us on top, and the B1G was never as weak as the ACC is right now.

Essentially, Clemson has a free pass to the CFP right now. Even if you lose to your toughest opponent (an average SEC team), you will still go undefeated in the ACC and make the CFP.

Fair enough. I do think we could lose an ACC game this year though. I have a feeling we are not going to have as easy a time as people think in the ACC, or with Tex Am or South Carolina (road game). I do think we would have a good chance to make playoff if we manage to have only one loss, if we are in serious consideration, maybe more out of playoff performance history (though there is that Sugar Bowl beat down) rather than our schedule strength. But I like how you qualify weak ACC and free pass with right now. That helps and doesn't just dismiss 2015 and 2016. If FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech would not all be down at the same time, it would not be so bad. They have to get their acts together and I never dreamed I would see FSU in the situation they are in now. That is what is stunning to me. I'm not sure how long they are going to tolerate that.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
that is because you are Alabama. Some of those games would give most schools fits.

ETA - Clemson's toughest opponent this season is aTm - one of those opponents that you say will provide Alabama "zero challenges". Imagine if your entire season were that easy. The CFP would be a given.
We should have at least one decent ooc opponent every year. We don’t this season. I blame Saban and Byrne for that. We will not know how good we are until November.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
By the way, I hated the playoff draw we got. 1st of all, Notre Dame wasn't even one of the 4 best teams. They may not have been one of the 10 best teams. But they went 12-0 so what are you going to do with them? Still they should have been the #4 seed. I knew as soon as it was announced, we were going to be at the disadvantage coming out of the semis. We would have to chase Oklahoma around all night in the Miami humidity, and Clemson would steamroll Notre Dame in the air conditioned Jerry Dome.

It was the worst draw we could get. Just so we are clear, I would have much preferred Clemson's route than ours. That should tell you something.
Not to mention that big matchup against whoever it was in the conference championship game.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

We could have chased them around in Dallas- Miami was Saban’s choice. I do agree that Notre Dame and OU should have been in flipped positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A little off topic, but over the long Memorial Day weekend I got a little bored and I decided to watch the NC game from January.

Being somewhat healed from the shock and disappointment of the game, it was easier to watch this time around.

Biggest take away by far: Our offense, despite Tua's INTS that led to 14 points did not beat us. Our playcalling beat us!!! We were literally gashing them for 5-7 yards per rushing attempt but we wouldn't stay with it. If we would have, we would have controlled the clock even more and kept their opportunistic offense off the field and they would have had less big 3rd day plays to score TDS on.

It's true that our defense was really bad, especially on 3rd downs, but it was good enough to win a shootout.

Also, as bad as the halftime score was, if we take that opening 3rd quarter drive and score, I think it totally changes the way the game turned out. Of course, the awful fake FG attempt kept us from getting any points there. But even 3 and a quick defensive stop and another score by pounding the rushing game and we are right back in it.

But as Yogi said, "Hindsight is 50-50."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.