Alabama - Clemson V

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
How many future NFL players did Clemson face compared to Alabama, especially in the trenches?

That will provide your answer.

YES Alabama was more tired going into the playoffs and especially coming out of the semi-final game than Clemson was. It made a huge difference, although it was not the only reason Clemson won. Clemson does not need to ever apologize for this; no one is going to take the trophy away unless the ncaa does for some stupid reason years down the road. The month off leading up to the playoffs is not enough time to completely heal from the season long grind. It helps a great deal, but you're not 100% going into those playoff/bowl games. And then you play that semi-final against another great team and it takes you down another couple of notches.

Clemson did not play another great team in the Cotton Bowl. And again, Clemson owes no one an apology for that. But to gloss over it is to be obtuse.

Louisville
Arkansas State
Mississippi
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
Mississippi State
Mercer
The Citadel
Auburn

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Louisville
Arkansas State
Mississippi
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
Mississippi State
Mercer
The Citadel
Auburn
On that list MSU, LSU and Auburn were better than anyone on your schedule other than aTm (a team that Alabama also played). And you forgot to add GA. Hmmm, wonder how you missed that one. :rolleye2:E

ETA - you do not need to apologize for your easy schedule. I wish that OSU had a schedule that easy every year. But don't try to pretend that Alabama's schedule is comparable.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How many future NFL players did Clemson face compared to Alabama, especially in the trenches?

That will provide your answer.

YES Alabama was more tired going into the playoffs and especially coming out of the semi-final game than Clemson was. It made a huge difference, although it was not the only reason Clemson won. Clemson does not need to ever apologize for this; no one is going to take the trophy away unless the ncaa does for some stupid reason years down the road. The month off leading up to the playoffs is not enough time to completely heal from the season long grind. It helps a great deal, but you're not 100% going into those playoff/bowl games. And then you play that semi-final against another great team and it takes you down another couple of notches.

Clemson did not play another great team in the Cotton Bowl. And again, Clemson owes no one an apology for that. But to gloss over it is to be obtuse.
Alabama faced 9 OLs that were drafted and 8 DLs that were drafted.

Clemson faced 5 OLs that were drafted and 7 DLs that were drafted.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
On that list MSU, LSU and Auburn were better than anyone on your schedule other than aTm (a team that Alabama also played). And you forgot to add GA. Hmmm, wonder how you missed that one. :rolleye2:E

ETA - you do not need to apologize for your easy schedule. I wish that OSU had a schedule that easy every year. But don't try to pretend that Alabama's schedule is comparable.

Didn't miss anything.

That's just the regular season schedule you played.

Is it super easy? Not at all.

But it isn't a ball buster either, by any stretch.

No team can control who gets lined up in front of them in the post season.

I disagree that a month isn't time enough to rest from such a schedule.

I'm not "comparing" Bama's schedule.

That's the nonsense that stat pushers and ESPN blowhards get off on.

Haven't looked it up, but didn't Bama have a win margin of about 29+ points?

Tua was rarely seen much after halftime.

I never saw Bama struggle with any team during the regular season.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Didn't miss anything.

We didn't struggle to win games, but I guarantee you our players took more punishment in games against Mississippi State and LSU late in the year than Clemson did in any game all year.

A month is not enough time to fully heal. It's just not. It's a lot better than 2 weeks, but it's not like the off time between the bowl games and the start of the next season. You're going to carry some bumps and bruises into that semi-final, and then you're going to have fresh injuries there. It's just the nature of the beast.

It's not going to change any outcomes, and I think that point has been made well. Clemson is just as good as Alabama, and every bit of an edge helps. They've got one in their pathetic conference schedule. Maybe Florida State/Miami/Virginia Tech can find their lost competence, but I'm not holding my breath.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't miss anything.

I would suggest rewatching the Mississippi State game. Tua took a beating after Deonte Brown left the game.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Lies, darn lies and statistics. I know there are numerous metrics, but here is one showing end of season strength of schedule.
NCAA College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings & Ratings
Alabama
Clemson
Georgia
LSU
Texas A&M
Miss State
Auburn
Oklahoma
Michigan
Florida.

Bama played the toughest schedule, by a wide margin.
Also, if they had given the #1 seed the selection of whom to play in round one of the playoffs, I would have chosen Notre Dame, which was easily the weaker opponent., but by a strange cut o f the cards, Clemson draws the weaker opponent and a higher seeded Bama draws the tougher round one opponent.
Not making excuses. Clemson kicked Bama's backside in the final, but they had the easier path to that championship game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.