Link: Precision Railroading fees to customers

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
https://www.bizjournals.com/jackson...Lmjy5_X5nqohcQQInVih3BaMFjpNLHbbWiFWq4Pmr0UF4

Slow day for me so I thought I'd come over and get some opinions on a hot topic issue in my area of work.

Quick backstory: Hunter Harrison's Progressive Railroading philosophy has been a huge success in America with three of the four major American railroads adopting aspects of his philosophy (they are too proud to admit it, but I'm sure it's almost identical) after the CSX experienced record low operating ratios last year. The system is based around efficiency and timeliness, so the railroads have implemented a penalty fee for not adhering to the planned service times for each respective customer. The customers are unhappy and have a meeting with the STB scheduled to air their grievances.

Do any of you have anything similar in your business field? What's your opinion?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we have seen the reefer lines get tighter on the number of free days we have to load containers, mostly off of the east coast. it has made things a bit tougher for us when we have to have loads trucked a far distance (multi-day trip) as we have little to no room for error. for the most part, the steamship lines have been willing to work with us some to either grant us an extra day in our contract or waive the fees if we had some kind of problem with the loading schedule.

we have seen more instances of the vessel cut-off (latest return time) changing after we have pulled the container and putting us into demurrage through no fault of our own and that can be a p.i.t.a.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
we have seen the reefer lines get tighter on the number of free days we have to load containers, mostly off of the east coast. it has made things a bit tougher for us when we have to have loads trucked a far distance (multi-day trip) as we have little to no room for error. for the most part, the steamship lines have been willing to work with us some to either grant us an extra day in our contract or waive the fees if we had some kind of problem with the loading schedule.

we have seen more instances of the vessel cut-off (latest return time) changing after we have pulled the container and putting us into demurrage through no fault of our own and that can be a p.i.t.a.
Demurrage is a big word in the industry for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.