9-1 loss ends the season - Page 2
Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: 9-1 loss ends the season

Without the benefit of actually seeing any games (just radio here), my sense was when we got into a critical situation our guys tried to hard, and didn't "do what the game asks you to do." (Ron Washington always said something like that, when he managed the stRangers.)

We would get into a late-inning situation, where just getting the dang ball out of the infield would have at worst tied the game, and gave us some free baseball. No, our guys seemed to press, and would whiff on 3 straight. Rally over. Sometimes game over. Frequently, it was one of our "big guns" who failed us.

But, a lot of that happens when you are constantly behind, in a game. Once we start to be more competitive, the odds are our guys will let the game come to them, and not the other way around.

Maybe not. We'll see.
    As I say, we tried to remove the tusks. But they were embedded so firmly we couldn't budge them. Of course, in Alabama the Tuscaloosa, but that is entirely ir-elephant to what I was talking about.

I don't post on here much but the one thing I did see improvement in this season was WINNING GAMES AGAINST TEAMS WE SHOULD BEAT - as opposed to the last couple of seasons where we would lose to Podunk Junction. That's a positive.
    Anyone looking objectively at this program at the beginning of the season (perhaps even more so after the last couple of seasons and last couple of coaches) could see we are still a ways from being a consistently competetive/good team. Any coach who came into this situation would have very hard row to hoe. It's gonna take Coach Bohannon a couple of years to fix the rudder before we can even begin to right the ship.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I just want Bama to put a truly competitive team on the field that can compete for the conference. Granted, though I'd love to be a powerhouse in baseball. The odds of that ever happening are probably not good. But it sure would make watching the baseball tournaments with my boys a lot more interesting if our team was represented. It kills me to hear my boys ask "Daddy, why isn't Alabama any good in baseball?" I'm just not used to hearing "Alabama" and "not any good" in the same sentence. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I just want Bama to put a truly competitive team on the field that can compete for the conference. Granted, though I'd love to be a powerhouse in baseball. The odds of that ever happening are probably not good. But it sure would make watching the baseball tournaments with my boys a lot more interesting if our team was represented. It kills me to hear my boys ask "Daddy, why isn't Alabama any good in baseball?" I'm just not used to hearing "Alabama" and "not any good" in the same sentence. LOL!
    While I understand your dilemma, as we go an watch UF since it is only a couple of hours from where we live, Alabama is still the 3rd most winning team in SEC history. Only behind UF and LSU. The way scholarships are not handed out in/at Alabama (state funded like HOPE, etc) puts a major hamper on recruiting. That isn't an excuse, just a reality that makes it more difficult. Coaches have to be spot on in recruiting without missing on a player. That just isn't possible. and it is slowly killing baseball at UA. Coach Bo is doing a great job imo, just inherited a major dumpster fire.
    Back to your original post, I too, am ready for us to get back to competing for championships in the SEC.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think we got better but we have a ways to go before we are expecting Regionals. Next year we should probably expect Hoover, but I think Bo needs 3-4 more years before we start getting impatient because I do think he had to recreate a totally new ball club from scratch in the toughest conference in America.
    Iím saying about 1% of what I can. I had the opportunity to speak with someone about high up as you can in the administration and I can tell you eyes are on the program. Regardless of what was inherited, NO coach will have 4 years to turn it around. Hard decisions will be made if a regional is not made next year. A specific comment was made that AUís coach inherited a mess and they were in a regional year 2 AND they have the same scholarship issue.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team

Hopefully the person that told you that is either an idiot or no longer involved with the AD. If we make a decision without taking into account the situation in the beginning and base it in any case on what AU is doing, then that would be the dumbest, most "Auburn" thing we could do.

Two things that make the "AU coach" situation different: Golloway already had auburn on an upswing - his methods may have been under question - but on an upswing nonetheless. Secondly, the AU coach didn't have a Goff completely imploding the team ahead of his arrival, as Coach Bo did. Thompson's 'rebuild' wasn't anything near what we've faced. We can't give Bohannon forever, but I don't think he's had near enough time to remedy all of the woes he inherited.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation First Team bamabaseballfan's Avatar

Who is on the replacement list? I doubt there are any highly successful head coaches lined up to take over. Any time you hire an assistant itís a gamble. While things are better than they were, itís still a ways off. Also, how much is a change going to set recruiting back again? You all know how early kids commit these days. It takes a long time to build those relationships.

BamaNation All-SEC

I think that a knee-jerk reaction because of what Auburn has accomplished would be pretty damn silly, and if Byrne is any kind of professional administrator he understands that.

I think that our final RPI was #44 (of 299). We are getting closer to being where we want to be. It just takes time and talent. Split our Sunday games from 2019 and we are probably in a regional this year. Hopefully we can get that done in 2020.

rtr

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanatic View Post
    Hopefully the person that told you that is either an idiot or no longer involved with the AD. If we make a decision without taking into account the situation in the beginning and base it in any case on what AU is doing, then that would be the dumbest, most "Auburn" thing we could do.
    I would not call them an idiot and they very much could be involved. That said, I believe GB has the ultimate say and I trust him to make the right decision.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban