9-1 loss ends the season

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
In typical fashion, we left 'em loaded, in the 9th, and failed to push a run across.

I know a lot were hoping we would get to Hoover, but what would have been the point, other than to have some fun.

Here is to a better 2020 season.

(Also in typical fashion, DUH-verse went down several times today, aided by 3 power outages.)

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I'm just glad it's over. I really thought the team would have shown more improvement than they did this season. This team is nowhere close to being competitive with the better teams in the SEC. I hope next year is alot better but dont see how it can be. I don't know where the talent will be coming from to compete but we sure don't have it now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm just glad it's over. I really thought the team would have shown more improvement than they did this season. This team is nowhere close to being competitive with the better teams in the SEC. I hope next year is alot better but dont see how it can be. I don't know where the talent will be coming from to compete but we sure don't have it now.
https://twitter.com/bw_jones/status/1129854900588949505?s=21

https://twitter.com/bw_jones/status/1129858674581737472?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
We were 1-11 against the top 4 seeds in SEC and 6-12 against the rest. Played one of the toughest schedules in the country. Going by the eye test, I can see an improving team. Biggest thing I can see offensively is stranding runners on base. Alabama's offense has been doing this going back all through the Gaspard years. Need to recruit and develop more pitching.

Edit : 4-10 in SEC games decided by 3 runs or less. So we had chances to get to Hoover, but I think not scoring with RISP was the main culprit.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
My only argument against the whole lottery issue is UA has its merit scholarship program which works similar to the lottery. If an in state kid has a 26 ACT and 3.5 GPA they get 25%, a 28 ACT and 3.5 HS GPA, they get 50% tuition. A 30 ACT gets 100%. Out of state you need a 32 ACT for a full ride and 30 ACT for 50%. A 28 ACT for out of state is 25%.

Not saying everyone we recruit qualifies but, I bet a lot do.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Gaspard getting lazy towards the end and Goff nearly killing the program has left a huge mess that would've taken even the best coaches in baseball a good bit of time to turn around. I think expecting Hoover with this schedule was on the " Would love to achieve, but it was going to be tough to achieve" category. It really came down to a bad outing to close out the USCE series, a bad inning vs aTm, or a bad game vs LSU. I think we got better but we have a ways to go before we are expecting Regionals. Next year we should probably expect Hoover, but I think Bo needs 3-4 more years before we start getting impatient because I do think he had to recreate a totally new ball club from scratch in the toughest conference in America.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Gaspard getting lazy towards the end and Goff nearly killing the program has left a huge mess that would've taken even the best coaches in baseball a good bit of time to turn around. I think expecting Hoover with this schedule was on the " Would love to achieve, but it was going to be tough to achieve" category. It really came down to a bad outing to close out the USCE series, a bad inning vs aTm, or a bad game vs LSU. I think we got better but we have a ways to go before we are expecting Regionals. Next year we should probably expect Hoover, but I think Bo needs 3-4 more years before we start getting impatient because I do think he had to recreate a totally new ball club from scratch in the toughest conference in America.
This!

Spot on imo. Getting swept at UF was not a big help.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It is obvious that there were programs we had no business being on the field with (Vandy, Georgia, State), but there were several ranked teams we played pretty well against. A couple of big hits or a decent arm or two and we could be right there next year. Consider we were 0-10 in Sunday SEC games. Find an arm to keep us in those games, go 5-5 and are at 35-21 for the year and most likely in a regional even at 12-18 in the league.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I have to believe it is going to get better.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
It is obvious that there were programs we had no business being on the field with (Vandy, Georgia, State), but there were several ranked teams we played pretty well against. A couple of big hits or a decent arm or two and we could be right there next year. Consider we were 0-10 in Sunday SEC games. Find an arm to keep us in those games, go 5-5 and are at 35-21 for the year and most likely in a regional even at 12-18 in the league.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I have to believe it is going to get better.

rtr
Even if we only go 1-9, 2-8, or 3-7, we'd be going to Hoover instead of SCar. Looking back it's easy to find places where a couple hits and games go the other way, specifically, the game we gave" to SCar on Sunday (walked a batter with 1 out, then threw two wild pitches to allow him to score,) the Sunday games against both LSU and A&M where we had runners on 3rd in multiple innings with less than 2 outs and couldn't score them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I get we are in a tough league and the previous two coaches didn’t help matters. But if you can’t finish 12th out of 14 teams, you have a long way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Everyone knows that, but an rpi of #42 at the end of the regular season says we don't have as long to go as many think. There are several programs looking ahead to regionals that we played very tough.

rtr

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Without the benefit of actually seeing any games (just radio here), my sense was when we got into a critical situation our guys tried to hard, and didn't "do what the game asks you to do." (Ron Washington always said something like that, when he managed the stRangers.)

We would get into a late-inning situation, where just getting the dang ball out of the infield would have at worst tied the game, and gave us some free baseball. No, our guys seemed to press, and would whiff on 3 straight. Rally over. Sometimes game over. Frequently, it was one of our "big guns" who failed us.

But, a lot of that happens when you are constantly behind, in a game. Once we start to be more competitive, the odds are our guys will let the game come to them, and not the other way around.

Maybe not. We'll see.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't post on here much but the one thing I did see improvement in this season was WINNING GAMES AGAINST TEAMS WE SHOULD BEAT - as opposed to the last couple of seasons where we would lose to Podunk Junction. That's a positive.
Anyone looking objectively at this program at the beginning of the season (perhaps even more so after the last couple of seasons and last couple of coaches) could see we are still a ways from being a consistently competetive/good team. Any coach who came into this situation would have very hard row to hoe. It's gonna take Coach Bohannon a couple of years to fix the rudder before we can even begin to right the ship.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I just want Bama to put a truly competitive team on the field that can compete for the conference. Granted, though I'd love to be a powerhouse in baseball. The odds of that ever happening are probably not good. But it sure would make watching the baseball tournaments with my boys a lot more interesting if our team was represented. It kills me to hear my boys ask "Daddy, why isn't Alabama any good in baseball?" I'm just not used to hearing "Alabama" and "not any good" in the same sentence. LOL!

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I just want Bama to put a truly competitive team on the field that can compete for the conference. Granted, though I'd love to be a powerhouse in baseball. The odds of that ever happening are probably not good. But it sure would make watching the baseball tournaments with my boys a lot more interesting if our team was represented. It kills me to hear my boys ask "Daddy, why isn't Alabama any good in baseball?" I'm just not used to hearing "Alabama" and "not any good" in the same sentence. LOL!
While I understand your dilemma, as we go an watch UF since it is only a couple of hours from where we live, Alabama is still the 3rd most winning team in SEC history. Only behind UF and LSU. The way scholarships are not handed out in/at Alabama (state funded like HOPE, etc) puts a major hamper on recruiting. That isn't an excuse, just a reality that makes it more difficult. Coaches have to be spot on in recruiting without missing on a player. That just isn't possible. and it is slowly killing baseball at UA. Coach Bo is doing a great job imo, just inherited a major dumpster fire.
Back to your original post, I too, am ready for us to get back to competing for championships in the SEC.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I think we got better but we have a ways to go before we are expecting Regionals. Next year we should probably expect Hoover, but I think Bo needs 3-4 more years before we start getting impatient because I do think he had to recreate a totally new ball club from scratch in the toughest conference in America.
I’m saying about 1% of what I can. I had the opportunity to speak with someone about high up as you can in the administration and I can tell you eyes are on the program. Regardless of what was inherited, NO coach will have 4 years to turn it around. Hard decisions will be made if a regional is not made next year. A specific comment was made that AU’s coach inherited a mess and they were in a regional year 2 AND they have the same scholarship issue.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Hopefully the person that told you that is either an idiot or no longer involved with the AD. If we make a decision without taking into account the situation in the beginning and base it in any case on what AU is doing, then that would be the dumbest, most "Auburn" thing we could do.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Two things that make the "AU coach" situation different: Golloway already had auburn on an upswing - his methods may have been under question - but on an upswing nonetheless. Secondly, the AU coach didn't have a Goff completely imploding the team ahead of his arrival, as Coach Bo did. Thompson's 'rebuild' wasn't anything near what we've faced. We can't give Bohannon forever, but I don't think he's had near enough time to remedy all of the woes he inherited.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.