9-1 loss ends the season
Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

9-1 loss ends the season

In typical fashion, we left 'em loaded, in the 9th, and failed to push a run across.

I know a lot were hoping we would get to Hoover, but what would have been the point, other than to have some fun.

Here is to a better 2020 season.

(Also in typical fashion, DUH-verse went down several times today, aided by 3 power outages.)
    As I say, we tried to remove the tusks. But they were embedded so firmly we couldn't budge them. Of course, in Alabama the Tuscaloosa, but that is entirely ir-elephant to what I was talking about.

Re: 9-1 loss ends the season

I'm just glad it's over. I really thought the team would have shown more improvement than they did this season. This team is nowhere close to being competitive with the better teams in the SEC. I hope next year is alot better but dont see how it can be. I don't know where the talent will be coming from to compete but we sure don't have it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside13 View Post
    I'm just glad it's over. I really thought the team would have shown more improvement than they did this season. This team is nowhere close to being competitive with the better teams in the SEC. I hope next year is alot better but dont see how it can be. I don't know where the talent will be coming from to compete but we sure don't have it now.
    https://twitter.com/bw_jones/status/...588949505?s=21

https://twitter.com/bw_jones/status/...581737472?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Hereís a twitter thread worth your time.

https://twitter.com/bw_jones/status/...770124288?s=21

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

We were 1-11 against the top 4 seeds in SEC and 6-12 against the rest. Played one of the toughest schedules in the country. Going by the eye test, I can see an improving team. Biggest thing I can see offensively is stranding runners on base. Alabama's offense has been doing this going back all through the Gaspard years. Need to recruit and develop more pitching.

Edit : 4-10 in SEC games decided by 3 runs or less. So we had chances to get to Hoover, but I think not scoring with RISP was the main culprit.
    Last edited by ReturnToGlory; May 19th, 2019 at 09:46 AM.

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

My only argument against the whole lottery issue is UA has its merit scholarship program which works similar to the lottery. If an in state kid has a 26 ACT and 3.5 GPA they get 25%, a 28 ACT and 3.5 HS GPA, they get 50% tuition. A 30 ACT gets 100%. Out of state you need a 32 ACT for a full ride and 30 ACT for 50%. A 28 ACT for out of state is 25%.

Not saying everyone we recruit qualifies but, I bet a lot do.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

In the 10 SEC games we lost by 3 runs or less, our offense left 78 runners on base.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Gaspard getting lazy towards the end and Goff nearly killing the program has left a huge mess that would've taken even the best coaches in baseball a good bit of time to turn around. I think expecting Hoover with this schedule was on the " Would love to achieve, but it was going to be tough to achieve" category. It really came down to a bad outing to close out the USCE series, a bad inning vs aTm, or a bad game vs LSU. I think we got better but we have a ways to go before we are expecting Regionals. Next year we should probably expect Hoover, but I think Bo needs 3-4 more years before we start getting impatient because I do think he had to recreate a totally new ball club from scratch in the toughest conference in America.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Gaspard getting lazy towards the end and Goff nearly killing the program has left a huge mess that would've taken even the best coaches in baseball a good bit of time to turn around. I think expecting Hoover with this schedule was on the " Would love to achieve, but it was going to be tough to achieve" category. It really came down to a bad outing to close out the USCE series, a bad inning vs aTm, or a bad game vs LSU. I think we got better but we have a ways to go before we are expecting Regionals. Next year we should probably expect Hoover, but I think Bo needs 3-4 more years before we start getting impatient because I do think he had to recreate a totally new ball club from scratch in the toughest conference in America.
    This!

Spot on imo. Getting swept at UF was not a big help.

BamaNation All-SEC

It is obvious that there were programs we had no business being on the field with (Vandy, Georgia, State), but there were several ranked teams we played pretty well against. A couple of big hits or a decent arm or two and we could be right there next year. Consider we were 0-10 in Sunday SEC games. Find an arm to keep us in those games, go 5-5 and are at 35-21 for the year and most likely in a regional even at 12-18 in the league.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I have to believe it is going to get better.

rtr

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    It is obvious that there were programs we had no business being on the field with (Vandy, Georgia, State), but there were several ranked teams we played pretty well against. A couple of big hits or a decent arm or two and we could be right there next year. Consider we were 0-10 in Sunday SEC games. Find an arm to keep us in those games, go 5-5 and are at 35-21 for the year and most likely in a regional even at 12-18 in the league.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I have to believe it is going to get better.

rtr
    Even if we only go 1-9, 2-8, or 3-7, we'd be going to Hoover instead of SCar. Looking back it's easy to find places where a couple hits and games go the other way, specifically, the game we gave" to SCar on Sunday (walked a batter with 1 out, then threw two wild pitches to allow him to score,) the Sunday games against both LSU and A&M where we had runners on 3rd in multiple innings with less than 2 outs and couldn't score them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I get we are in a tough league and the previous two coaches didnít help matters. But if you canít finish 12th out of 14 teams, you have a long way to go.

BamaNation All-SEC

Everyone knows that, but an rpi of #42 at the end of the regular season says we don't have as long to go as many think. There are several programs looking ahead to regionals that we played very tough.

rtr