Roster moves (transfers/draft/etc)

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
We have to have more talent, and even if it's different talent that's something you have to try and see if someone catches fire. I hate that these guy's dreams didn't work out, but the SEC west is the crucible and we have to find players who can thrive under the most pressure-filled circumstances.

Best of luck to Morris and all of these guys.

rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
That hurts. Tough to have to replace all three guys....uh...two guys? The good news is a lot of guys got innings last year.

Rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The canned answer is that we are upgrading our talent level so some of the guys have to go elsewhere. Since I love our baseball team that's what I choose to believe.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
College baseball is typically rife with transfers. I don't think this year is even an abnormal amount. I feel like there's been past off-seasons where we've had 5-7+ transfers.

I do think mick is right to an extent. A lot of these transfers probably have to do with the "potential" talent level of the incoming players. It's probably been hinted at that their playing time could (and probably will) be reduced to zero, so if the goal is to actually "play" that opportunity would be more likely elsewhere.

That conversation happens at colleges all over the country too, so that's definitely not out of the ordinary. As long as we're not "threatening" to cut them or their scholarship money if they stay, it's nothing to worry about.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
For a player looking for a JUCO to land at, Chipola is the cream of the crop. Coach Johnson is an incredible developer of talent. He regularly has multiple guys drafted. It’s really incredible the success he’s had.
I live in Panama City, so I get to see them a few times each season in conference games.
I lived in Marianna and watched Chipola and also Tallahassee Community College play quite a bit. People would be surprised at the quality of play and competition in the panhandle. There is a tradition of really excellent coaching at Chipola and Tallahassee.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Not really an update, but it's looking increasingly likely that Gavin Collyer will be coming to UA. The Rangers had saved a lot of money by underslot signings in the top 10 rounds, but then they signed their 4th round pick for ~900k, nearly 400k overslot. Unless they get some more signings significantly underslot, my money would be on Collyer not signing.

Also, it appears that Myles Austin has tweeted "positively" about coming to school. Nothing yet about Antoine Jean, but my guess is he's coming to school also.

Brock Love is a pretty big loss because it means we really won't have any returning weekend starting pitchers, but if we can get through this draft having lost only CJ Abrams from the signees, that's a huge win.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Twitter news: Gavin Collyer signed with Rangers. Got a $585,000 signing bonus. I didn't know 12th rounders got that much.
He got a heck of the deal. The amount of bonus he got is what is slotted for the 100th pick in the draft which is middle of the 3rd round. Any money over $125 goes against the Rangers draft pool. Either Texas really liked him or they got had by his agent. Regardless, a no brainer unless he thought he could become a top 100 draft pick.

Even after taxes and paying his agent he has $335K in the bank. Of course, seeing how he’ll make about $800 per month after taxes, that bonus money can go pretty quick.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
We had a kid from San Antonio get a huge bonus. I think he was 3rd round. So I did some digging. Apparently anything above the 10th is good money. After that, it drops significantly and many kids would be better off honing their skills in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamabaseballfan

1st Team
Aug 9, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Twitter news: Gavin Collyer signed with Rangers. Got a $585,000 signing bonus. I didn't know 12th rounders got that much.
Think of it like your monthly budget. You have $X that you make each month. So much is allotted to each bill. If your power bill is lower than it has been being, you can spend that money on something else. Same deal here. Draft someone you know you can sign for less than the slot budgets and you can spend it somewhere else.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He got a heck of the deal. The amount of bonus he got is what is slotted for the 100th pick in the draft which is middle of the 3rd round. Any money over $125 goes against the Rangers draft pool. Either Texas really liked him or they got had by his agent. Regardless, a no brainer unless he thought he could become a top 100 draft pick.

Even after taxes and paying his agent he has $335K in the bank. Of course, seeing how he’ll make about $800 per month after taxes, that bonus money can go pretty quick.
Don't forget, if he plays in Texas anywhere (like Round Rock, Corpus Christi etc.) there is no state tax as well (which you definitely know)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.