Roster moves (transfers/draft/etc) - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Roster moves (transfers/draft/etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post

We getting better!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Sweet!
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Twitter news: Gavin Collyer signed with Rangers. Got a $585,000 signing bonus. I didn't know 12th rounders got that much.

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    Twitter news: Gavin Collyer signed with Rangers. Got a $585,000 signing bonus. I didn't know 12th rounders got that much.
    He got a heck of the deal. The amount of bonus he got is what is slotted for the 100th pick in the draft which is middle of the 3rd round. Any money over $125 goes against the Rangers draft pool. Either Texas really liked him or they got had by his agent. Regardless, a no brainer unless he thought he could become a top 100 draft pick.

Even after taxes and paying his agent he has $335K in the bank. Of course, seeing how he’ll make about $800 per month after taxes, that bonus money can go pretty quick.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

We had a kid from San Antonio get a huge bonus. I think he was 3rd round. So I did some digging. Apparently anything above the 10th is good money. After that, it drops significantly and many kids would be better off honing their skills in college.

RTR!

BamaNation First Team bamabaseballfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    Think of it like your monthly budget. You have $X that you make each month. So much is allotted to each bill. If your power bill is lower than it has been being, you can spend that money on something else. Same deal here. Draft someone you know you can sign for less than the slot budgets and you can spend it somewhere else.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    He got a heck of the deal. The amount of bonus he got is what is slotted for the 100th pick in the draft which is middle of the 3rd round. Any money over $125 goes against the Rangers draft pool. Either Texas really liked him or they got had by his agent. Regardless, a no brainer unless he thought he could become a top 100 draft pick.

Even after taxes and paying his agent he has $335K in the bank. Of course, seeing how he’ll make about $800 per month after taxes, that bonus money can go pretty quick.
    Don't forget, if he plays in Texas anywhere (like Round Rock, Corpus Christi etc.) there is no state tax as well (which you definitely know)
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

BamaNation First Team

That's an unfortunate turn, but I had really thought all along that they were going to offer him a LOT of money to sign. Typically rounds 11-14 or so is full of guys who are probably top 4-5 round talent, but have a little bit of a signability issue (i.e. college path for leverage).

I personally hate the "overslot/underslot" aspect of the draft. And the practice of signing seniors for peanuts while some of these high school kids getting 2-3 million.
    Last edited by baseballfanatic; July 10th, 2019 at 10:03 AM.

BamaNation First Team

OP should be updated with the latest information regarding Myles Austin (enrolling) and Gavin Collyer (Rangers). I've been searching for information on Antoine Jean and Jackson Tate, and found this tweet from a Twins writer in response to Edouard Julien signing, so hopefully this is a good sign that the signing deadline will come and go without any last minute drama in regards to Jean signing. My gut feeling is that Jackson Tate comes to school also.

EDIT -- I'm not smart enough to figure out how to embed the tweet, so here's the link... https://twitter.com/SethTweets/statu...05351761563648
    Last edited by baseballfanatic; July 10th, 2019 at 10:13 AM.

BamaNation First Team

Also, for anybody wondering whether we're recruiting "better" than we were previously, here's the breakdown of top 500 recruits signed per year since 2015 (according to PG) -- not including recruits that signed with MLB teams and didn't make it to campus. PG also does a weird thing where it lists JUCO signees according to their HS grad class, but that doesn't really indicate the recruiting changes, so I've listed them along with the actual UA class they were signed with.

2015 - 5
    • Brock Love - 135
    • Chandler Taylor - 199
    • Cobie Vance - 281
    • Alex Webb (transferred to JSU) - 311
    • Sam Finnerty - 342

2016 - 2

• Matt Morgan - 122
    • Hunter Alexander - 245

2017 - 1
    • Sam Praytor - 166

2018 - 9
    • Tyler Ras - 74
    • Morgan McCullough - 125 (orig. 2016)
    • Connor Shamblin - 159
    • Isaiah Byers (transferring to Chipola) - 184
    • TJ Reeves - 282
    • Drew Williamson - 365
    • Justin King - 441 (orig. 2016)
    • Casey Cobb - 455 (orig. 2015)
    • Dylan Smith - 460

2019 - 8 (this doesn't even include drafted players Antoine Jean and Jackson Tate because they're not ranked in the top 500 -- Nat Rank 500 on both of them)
    • Myles Austin - 21
    • Zane Denton - 193
    • Connor Prielipp - 201
    • Owen Diodati - 246
    • William Hamiter - 329
    • Logan Keller - 399
    • Peyton Wilson - 482
    • Blake Bennett - 492

So as you can probably see, our ability to go after, sign, and keep top 500 guys has improved drastically since Bo's been here. Even if you split 2018 between Goof and Bo, he was able to keep all of those top 500 guys committed, and then go out and sign another class just as good.
    Last edited by baseballfanatic; July 10th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.

Good information, Bo is definitely doing it right and improving the team. Unfortunately this rebuild is going to take time, which is very frustrating but it certainly is not his fault.

BamaNation First Team

The signing deadline has passed (5 ET/4 CT) and, unless they keep trickling in, looks like we were able to hold onto both Antoine Jean and Jackson Tate (along with Myles Austin, Connor Prielipp, and Owen Diodati)

Now, they all just need to get to campus and get ready to contribute.