Roster moves (transfers/draft/etc)

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
That's an unfortunate turn, but I had really thought all along that they were going to offer him a LOT of money to sign. Typically rounds 11-14 or so is full of guys who are probably top 4-5 round talent, but have a little bit of a signability issue (i.e. college path for leverage).

I personally hate the "overslot/underslot" aspect of the draft. And the practice of signing seniors for peanuts while some of these high school kids getting 2-3 million.

Last edited:

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
OP should be updated with the latest information regarding Myles Austin (enrolling) and Gavin Collyer (Rangers). I've been searching for information on Antoine Jean and Jackson Tate, and found this tweet from a Twins writer in response to Edouard Julien signing, so hopefully this is a good sign that the signing deadline will come and go without any last minute drama in regards to Jean signing. My gut feeling is that Jackson Tate comes to school also.

EDIT -- I'm not smart enough to figure out how to embed the tweet, so here's the link...

Last edited:

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Also, for anybody wondering whether we're recruiting "better" than we were previously, here's the breakdown of top 500 recruits signed per year since 2015 (according to PG) -- not including recruits that signed with MLB teams and didn't make it to campus. PG also does a weird thing where it lists JUCO signees according to their HS grad class, but that doesn't really indicate the recruiting changes, so I've listed them along with the actual UA class they were signed with.

2015 - 5
  • Brock Love - 135
  • Chandler Taylor - 199
  • Cobie Vance - 281
  • Alex Webb (transferred to JSU) - 311
  • Sam Finnerty - 342
2016 - 2

• Matt Morgan - 122
  • Hunter Alexander - 245
2017 - 1
  • Sam Praytor - 166
2018 - 9
  • Tyler Ras - 74
  • Morgan McCullough - 125 (orig. 2016)
  • Connor Shamblin - 159
  • Isaiah Byers (transferring to Chipola) - 184
  • TJ Reeves - 282
  • Drew Williamson - 365
  • Justin King - 441 (orig. 2016)
  • Casey Cobb - 455 (orig. 2015)
  • Dylan Smith - 460
2019 - 8 (this doesn't even include drafted players Antoine Jean and Jackson Tate because they're not ranked in the top 500 -- Nat Rank 500 on both of them)
  • Myles Austin - 21
  • Zane Denton - 193
  • Connor Prielipp - 201
  • Owen Diodati - 246
  • William Hamiter - 329
  • Logan Keller - 399
  • Peyton Wilson - 482
  • Blake Bennett - 492

So as you can probably see, our ability to go after, sign, and keep top 500 guys has improved drastically since Bo's been here. Even if you split 2018 between Goof and Bo, he was able to keep all of those top 500 guys committed, and then go out and sign another class just as good.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Good information, Bo is definitely doing it right and improving the team. Unfortunately this rebuild is going to take time, which is very frustrating but it certainly is not his fault.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
The signing deadline has passed (5 ET/4 CT) and, unless they keep trickling in, looks like we were able to hold onto both Antoine Jean and Jackson Tate (along with Myles Austin, Connor Prielipp, and Owen Diodati)

Now, they all just need to get to campus and get ready to contribute.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I have a friend whose son signed with Florida, then after the draft decided to go to JUCO instead. I guess there's not a worry with paperwork or with having committed one place and attending another school?

rtr

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
It is trending that mlb teams are going the way of college pitching and players in general. The maturity is better and they are getting some good coaching. College baseball is getting better for it. Now, if the ncaa would just get out of the way....

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks for the info. If there was any position where a transfer is not as hurtful, it's infielder.

Good luck to him.

Other news, I'm told Wil Freeman has removed his name from the portal. No idea how accurate that is, but if he comes back, hopefully he can at least give us some solid midweek innings to save other guys for the weekends.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have a friend whose son signed with Florida, then after the draft decided to go to JUCO instead. I guess there's not a worry with paperwork or with having committed one place and attending another school?

rtr
Going JUCO means he can get drafted again after his freshman and sophomore seasons whereas he has to play three years of D1 baseball before he can get drafted again. I don't know if this was part of his family's thought process......

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I have it on very good authority that Freeman will not be returning to Alabama.

rtr
Thanks for the info. I have no idea what he's going to do.

I have no "inside sources" of my own. My goal with this thread was just to essentially consolidate any info related to guys moving around, and that was something I was being told by another poster who does have a pretty solid source.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.