Link: ESPN pinky swears to stop political commentary

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The same sort of people getting upset over the EXTREME POLITICS OF ESPN are the ones making or consuming defeminized edits of Star Wars and Avengers movies.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The same sort of people getting upset over the <font color="#0000FF">EXTREME POLITICS OF ESPN</font> are the ones making or consuming defeminized edits of Star Wars and Avengers movies.
What are these movies that you are referring to? The last movie I went to was taking my niece to see the SpongeBobSquarePants movie. I think it was devoid of politics. (Although I gather some believe it is covertly sending some sort of nefarious message of some sort.)

OK..........it really is nap time now.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Are we actually getting into the political motivations behind ESPN moving away from political commentary?

And the relative strengths and weaknesses of the minds possessed by individuals supporting the move as opposed to those against it?

ESPN's move, assuming it actually exists (I wouldn't know), makes no difference to me.

Unless there's a specific event, usually involving a team fielded by the University of Alabama, I quit watching long ago. Reason is I got tired of being called a cretin.

Your whole business model is predicated on charging me money so that Tim Brando and Keith Olbermann, and Jemelle Robinson and countless others can try to insult me into coming over to their point of view? On things that have, at best, a tangential relationship with sports?

Really?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Are we actually getting into the political motivations behind ESPN moving away from political commentary?

And the relative strengths and weaknesses of the minds possessed by individuals supporting the move as opposed to those against it?

ESPN's move, assuming it actually exists (I wouldn't know), makes no difference to me.

Unless there's a specific event, usually involving a team fielded by the University of Alabama, I quit watching long ago. Reason is I got tired of being called a cretin.

Your whole business model is predicated on charging me money so that Tim Brando and Keith Olbermann, and Jemelle Robinson and countless others can try to insult me into coming over to their point of view? On things that have, at best, a tangential relationship with sports?

Really?
It took a minute, but it finally showed on the bottom line. It was argued here that the falling subscriptions were from people simply cutting the cord all together, but there was enough of a migration away due to politics that the message was received at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Everything has a degree of politics in it. They'll never satisfy conservatives who don't want to have to confront realities they don't like even if they're not remarked upon by the broadcaster. In that sense, the "no politics" is in fact a political message because it amounts to nothing more than erasure of what simply exists.
Are you wanting this thread to get shipped to Non-Sports?

The desire to be able to watch a game or even commentary about said game without being preached to has absolutely nothing to with with an inability to face reality at all. It's because we just want to watch the damn game! Why is that difficult to grasp?

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
ESPN, ABC, and now Fox are all part of the corporate Disney Entertainment. It is now in their culture to be political.
You can take a Zebra paint it black to look like Black Beauty or white to look like Trigger. The fact will remain that those darn stripes are still under there, and so is the temperament of the Zebra.
ESPN's management team has gone to Sherwin-Williams for paint and brushes trying to keep their jobs along with the viewer. They bought latex and the rain always returns.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My dad tells a story about when he was in HS and worked for a local grocery store. The store manager would often have people come in and want to cash their paychecks. They had no intentions of buying groceries from them, but just wanted to cash their check. My dad said he can still remember hearing the store manager tell them, "I've made a deal with the banks around here. I'd stay out of the banking business and they wouldn't get into the grocery business. So if you want your checked cashed, go to a bank. If you want to buy groceries, there's a shopping cart." LOL!
I think that was the ad. I couldn't remember exactly but I think he said he worked out a deal with the gas stations that if they would not loan money, he would not sell gas.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Are you wanting this thread to get shipped to Non-Sports?

The desire to be able to watch a game or even commentary about said game without being preached to has absolutely nothing to with with an inability to face reality at all. It's because we just want to watch the damn game! Why is that difficult to grasp?
I can't link it. But Bill Burr has a segment on the Conan O'Brien show that perfectly explains it. He absolutely nails my thoughts about the NFL, MLB or any other professional sport trying to address "causes" and 'issues" while we're watching sports. "Youtube it". LOL! It's great.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
No doubt in my mind that when people are actually complaining about "too much politics" in their entertainment they're actually just identifying the cynical exploitation of identity in the name of profits. When you're doing superhero movies, there are only so many stories so you gotta do different types of heroes to shake it up and try to find markets that can be exploited for profits.

The cynical exploitation and politics on ESPN takes many shapes. Sometimes its the cancer/terminal illness kids. Sometimes it is the fact that they show every national anthem w/ military flyover. Sometimes it is talking about Colin Kaepernick.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
When you're doing superhero movies, there are only so many stories so you gotta do different types of heroes to shake it up and try to find markets that can be exploited for profits.
HUH?

We were talking about sports, without being lectured to, yet you seem intent to drag in other stuff. Might I remind you that some dumb TV show just ended, and a lot of folks are so upset by the lack of political overtones or taking a direction they feel betrayed their world view started a petition, on some website, to have a "do-over" for the entire last season.

I won't mention the site, as it exists as solely a political website. Don't think I need to mention which direction the wind blows on that site.

Now, where were we......................oh, yeah, watching sports without being lectured to or demeaned. At least I think we were. But feel free to tell us why we are wrong.

I'm going to make dinner, and then fall asleep at my computer, while listening to some dumb baseball game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
What are these movies that you are referring to? The last movie I went to was taking my niece to see the SpongeBobSquarePants movie. I think it was devoid of politics. (Although I gather some believe it is covertly sending some sort of nefarious message of some sort.)

OK..........it really is nap time now.
and here i thought you gave up on moving pictures when they introduced sound

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No doubt in my mind that when people are actually complaining about "too much politics" in their entertainment they're actually just identifying the cynical exploitation of identity in the name of profits. When you're doing superhero movies, there are only so many stories so you gotta do different types of heroes to shake it up and try to find markets that can be exploited for profits.

The cynical exploitation and politics on ESPN takes many shapes. Sometimes its the cancer/terminal illness kids. Sometimes it is the fact that they show every national anthem w/ military flyover. Sometimes it is talking about Colin Kaepernick.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

My hat is off to you rgw. Seriously, I have re-read every one of your posts in this thread and I still don't have a clue as to what you mean. It is not often that someone can talk so far over by head that I am totally lost but you have done it. I graduated HS and college but I am not smart enough to understand what you are talking about. I am not in your league.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I can't link it. But Bill Burr has a segment on the Conan O'Brien show that perfectly explains it. He absolutely nails my thoughts about the NFL, MLB or any other professional sport trying to address "causes" and 'issues" while we're watching sports. "Youtube it". LOL! It's great.
And that’s what many of the yungins are doing, YouTubing it. My son absolutely loves sports and doesn’t watch live TV. You watches clips on YouTube: game highlights, commentary, parodies about sports, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I do not watch ESPN unless there is a good SEC football game on. I no longer watch Gameday or any of the other game day analysis (not because of political commentary) just has gotten old and repetitive. I would never watch the commentary shows since I have no interest in the NFL, NBA, MLB or the NHL. Those who watch all these ESPN shows run the risk of hearing political commentary. ESPN lost me as a viewer long before it decided to inject political opinions into their broadcast narrative.
This is where I'm at with ESPN shows. Not so much the commentary but it's the same show repeated throughout the day. I do like pro-sports but I find other ways to get analysis, updates, etc.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is where I'm at with ESPN shows. Not so much the commentary but it's the same show repeated throughout the day. I do like pro-sports but I find other ways to get analysis, updates, etc.
Most of the personalities have zero knowledge of the actual game. Over the years they've picked up some of the coach's lingo and basically gotten what amounts to a fan's level honorary "degree" in the sport yet try to speak as an expert on it. Paul Finebaum, Stephen A Smith, Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless are just a few of many of these types over the years.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My hat is off to you rgw. Seriously, I have re-read every one of your posts in this thread and I still don't have a clue as to what you mean. It is not often that someone can talk so far over by head that I am totally lost but you have done it. I graduated HS and college but I am not smart enough to understand what you are talking about. I am not in your league.
That was not the intent to be sure. My point is that ESPN and other entertainment concerns use identity - LGBT people, military people, LGBT military people, militant LGBT people, etc, etc, etc - to entice consumption. It is all about the money. They are most certainly not going to stop being political because it is impossible to not be political to some degree. They're just going to stop being political in ways that upset what butters their bread. Football is a big part of their revenue and that audience skews conservative. If the MLB (usually a more centrist audience) and NBA (usually a more left audience) were their chief money makers then they'd probably invite Antifa and the Pod Save America crew to do halftime shows.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
As usual, you seem to miss the point.

Folks, of a certain political persuasion, feel that everyone wants to hear about their personal beliefs. (Since this isn't NS, I'll contain my thoughts why I feel that is the case.) They lament that folks, of a different political persuasion are uncomfortable hearing those beliefs.

No, it is about entertainment is supposed to be entertainment. Simple as that. There are lots of ways for folks to hear about those other subjects. There are lots of other ways to promote your beliefs and/or challenge folks about subjects one may feel others are uncomfortable hearing.

Johnny Carson understood this. He knew it was not good bidnis to alienate half of his audience. What has changed since he retired? Not much, except a lot of folks in that bidnis haven't figured out that simple fact. Until they do figure that out, their bottom line will suffer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Folks, of a certain political persuasion
If we are being honest with one another then we need to recognize that this applies to those on both sides equally. People who feel strongly about anything tend to evangelize it. We see it every day on this board.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You can't take politics completely out of sports. Just like you can't take religion completely out of it.

I don't watch many sports shows I mostly read about sports and watch games so I can't really speak to what is going on there. But I've never felt game coverage has ever been overly political. I'm sure there are individual examples of games that are but on a whole I feel like its relatively mild.

It also probably depends on what people consider political.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.