Link: ESPN pinky swears to stop political commentary - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: ESPN pinky swears to stop political commentary

You can't take politics completely out of sports. Just like you can't take religion completely out of it.

I don't watch many sports shows I mostly read about sports and watch games so I can't really speak to what is going on there. But I've never felt game coverage has ever been overly political. I'm sure there are individual examples of games that are but on a whole I feel like its relatively mild.

It also probably depends on what people consider political.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    That was not the intent to be sure. My point is that ESPN and other entertainment concerns use identity - LGBT people, military people, LGBT military people, militant LGBT people, etc, etc, etc - to entice consumption. It is all about the money. They are most certainly not going to stop being political because it is impossible to not be political to some degree. They're just going to stop being political in ways that upset what butters their bread. Football is a big part of their revenue and that audience skews conservative. If the MLB (usually a more centrist audience) and NBA (usually a more left audience) were their chief money makers then they'd probably invite Antifa and the Pod Save America crew to do halftime shows.
    Thank you rgw. I understand it when you put it that way. I understand LGBT, veterans, NOW, NAACP and other groups with an agenda boycott TV shows and the like but I never realized taking a neutral/unbiased stance would cost business. I suppose a neutral opinion is against PC. Never thought about it like that.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    You can't take politics completely out of sports. Just like you can't take religion completely out of it.

I don't watch many sports shows I mostly read about sports and watch games so I can't really speak to what is going on there. But I've never felt game coverage has ever been overly political. I'm sure there are individual examples of games that are but on a whole I feel like its relatively mild.

It also probably depends on what people consider political.
    You're right. I've never felt in game coverage had anything political in nature to it. It's all the coverage that fills the airwaves during the week between games. I used to enjoy watching the weekly coverage when they actually talked about the game and everything associated between the white lines. It's when I felt like I was watching FoxNews/CNN that I began to become uninterested.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

There is no such thing as a neutral stance. Not remarking on something or censoring opinions is in itself a political position. Often it favors conservatism in this country but it cuts both ways.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Enjoy....

The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

There is no such thing as a neutral stance. Not remarking on something or censoring opinions is in itself a political position. Often it favors conservatism in this country but it cuts both ways.
    Conversely, just discussing the sport and nothing else like the audience wanted when it turned on the TV is not political at all.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

There is such a thing as not overtly taking a side.

For example TideFans draws a line on the sports boards and we are inching ever closer to it. If anyone wishes to go further down the rabbit hole take it to nonsports, otherwise general discussion of the topic may continue.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

This is a political discussion folks. It is in the topic title.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Conversely, just discussing the sport and nothing else like the audience wanted when it turned on the TV is not political at all.
    What about when a player is ineligible due to violating NCAA rules on amateur status of which have a litany of racial/class political implications?

I disagree. If I'm at a birthday party and the purpose of everyone there is to celebrate. Yet there's "that guy" who decides he wants to bring up some hot topic political discussion. I am in no way obligated to respond or "give my stance" simply because he chooses to hijack the event we're there for. If I choose not to respond doesn't mean I condone or am against whatever he's talking about. It just means I've chosen to respect the event we're attending. I think companies have this same right to "not respond" and to provide their customer with what they are actually paying for and are there to do or receive.

I've got a family member who unfortunately does this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. He's about gotten his butt kicked several times. He's been asked to leave on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; May 22nd, 2019 at 02:41 PM.

This is a political discussion folks. It is in the topic title.
    Not really. It’s a discussion about sports shows being political or not. There is a difference and that is not up for discussion.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

What about when a player is ineligible due to violating NCAA rules on amateur status of which have a litany of racial/class political implications?
    There is overlap between social and political for sure. That’s up to Espn how they cover and up to the viewer how they respond.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Not really. It’s a discussion about sports shows being political or not. There is a difference and that is not up for discussion.
    I disagree but defer of course.