Link: ESPN pinky swears to stop political commentary

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That was not the intent to be sure. My point is that ESPN and other entertainment concerns use identity - LGBT people, military people, LGBT military people, militant LGBT people, etc, etc, etc - to entice consumption. It is all about the money. They are most certainly not going to stop being political because it is impossible to not be political to some degree. They're just going to stop being political in ways that upset what butters their bread. Football is a big part of their revenue and that audience skews conservative. If the MLB (usually a more centrist audience) and NBA (usually a more left audience) were their chief money makers then they'd probably invite Antifa and the Pod Save America crew to do halftime shows.
Thank you rgw. I understand it when you put it that way. I understand LGBT, veterans, NOW, NAACP and other groups with an agenda boycott TV shows and the like but I never realized taking a neutral/unbiased stance would cost business. I suppose a neutral opinion is against PC. Never thought about it like that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You can't take politics completely out of sports. Just like you can't take religion completely out of it.

I don't watch many sports shows I mostly read about sports and watch games so I can't really speak to what is going on there. But I've never felt game coverage has ever been overly political. I'm sure there are individual examples of games that are but on a whole I feel like its relatively mild.

It also probably depends on what people consider political.
You're right. I've never felt in game coverage had anything political in nature to it. It's all the coverage that fills the airwaves during the week between games. I used to enjoy watching the weekly coverage when they actually talked about the game and everything associated between the white lines. It's when I felt like I was watching FoxNews/CNN that I began to become uninterested.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is no such thing as a neutral stance. Not remarking on something or censoring opinions is in itself a political position. Often it favors conservatism in this country but it cuts both ways.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There is no such thing as a neutral stance. Not remarking on something or censoring opinions is in itself a political position. Often it favors conservatism in this country but it cuts both ways.
Conversely, just discussing the sport and nothing else like the audience wanted when it turned on the TV is not political at all.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There is such a thing as not overtly taking a side.

For example TideFans draws a line on the sports boards and we are inching ever closer to it. If anyone wishes to go further down the rabbit hole take it to nonsports, otherwise general discussion of the topic may continue.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Conversely, just discussing the sport and nothing else like the audience wanted when it turned on the TV is not political at all.
What about when a player is ineligible due to violating NCAA rules on amateur status of which have a litany of racial/class political implications?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I disagree. If I'm at a birthday party and the purpose of everyone there is to celebrate. Yet there's "that guy" who decides he wants to bring up some hot topic political discussion. I am in no way obligated to respond or "give my stance" simply because he chooses to hijack the event we're there for. If I choose not to respond doesn't mean I condone or am against whatever he's talking about. It just means I've chosen to respect the event we're attending. I think companies have this same right to "not respond" and to provide their customer with what they are actually paying for and are there to do or receive.

I've got a family member who unfortunately does this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. He's about gotten his butt kicked several times. He's been asked to leave on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You can't take politics completely out of sports. Just like you can't take religion completely out of it.

I don't watch many sports shows I mostly read about sports and watch games so I can't really speak to what is going on there. But I've never felt game coverage has ever been overly political. I'm sure there are individual examples of games that are but on a whole I feel like its relatively mild.

It also probably depends on what people consider political.
I think for the most part, I think the ESPN political commentary in sports has been very very very mild. There are three huge exceptions in which I think ESPN let things go way too far, and they are 1) The whole Colin Kapernick situation and 2) Brady and Belichick's relationship with Trump 3) every Trump-sports related incident. Other than those two situations I think ESPN has been no worse than any other non political entity in throwing a little politics in here or there in their programs.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What about when a player is ineligible due to violating NCAA rules on amateur status of which have a litany of racial/class political implications?
The person discussing the issue can discuss the rule violation without discussing the political side of it. There's a time to discuss if the rule is right or wrong and a time to discuss the player breaking the rule while knowing what the rule is.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The person discussing the issue can discuss the rule violation without discussing the political side of it. There's a time to discuss if the rule is right or wrong and a time to discuss the player breaking the rule while knowing what the rule is.
It's what we call in the auditing world as "scope". It's not within the "scope" of what we're doing so even though we realize there maybe an "issue over here". That isn't within the "scope" of this audit.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
So, would this mean you can't criticize a player for breaking said rule? Because once you criticize someone for breaking a rule it'd be pretty disingenuous to then ignore the context of the rule/and that players situation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, would this mean you can't criticize a player for breaking said rule? Because once you criticize someone for breaking a rule it'd be pretty disingenuous to then ignore the context of the rule/and that players situation.
Really? Do players not get criticized for penalties committed during a game because they might be at a disadvantage (ala FCS against P5 games)?

Again, there's a way to do it without bringing up politics into the discussion.

Also understand I'm not saying don't talk about it at all. I'm just saying know the time and place of the discussion. Just because a rule was broken doesn't mean the topic should be why the rule itself was bad. It's two separate discussions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think at some point there has to be a stopping point or predetermined boundaries set in the conversation or it becomes an endless conversation of topics that ultimately completely takes you away from the original reason you're there. I think that is what ultimately happened to ESPN's weekly daytime programming. They simply didn't know where to draw the line.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Really? Do players not get criticized for penalties committed during a game because they might be at a disadvantage (ala FCS against P5 games)?

Again, there's a way to do it without bringing up politics into the discussion.

Also understand I'm not saying don't talk about it at all. I'm just saying know the time and place of the discussion. Just because a rule was broken doesn't mean the topic should be why the rule itself was bad. It's two separate discussions.
If the rule we are talking about is player compensation (and probably drug issues as well) then I think its almost impossible to not touch on topics many would consider political while having a fair discussion. If its a penalty during a game then I agree, no reason to bring politics into it.

Idk I don't completely disagree, in fact I think I probably mostly agree with you, i just also don't think the line is always that clear.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If we are being honest with one another then we need to recognize that this applies to those on both sides equally. People who feel strongly about anything tend to evangelize it. We see it every day on this board.
Really?

Only saw one side, on this post (with all the usual characters applauding), yet no one said "Uh, yeah..............this will get it kicked to NS, so you might want to tone it down."

At the risk of getting this kicked to NS.

*ahem*

Jim Jordan knew.
Seriously, you were there, when some of this took place. You knew athletes who might have known it was going on. And if they did, they kept it to themselves.

But someone from API knows the answer. We know why he "knows". So, spare me the "both sides" argument.

So, since we know why he knows, yet remained silent, and did not call out our visitor, is that also a "political" response?

Was it apathy, or just "whatever, dude................"? Or just being nice hosts?

(I guess even being non-political can be spun as being political, if you really want it to be.)

Time for pre-dinner nap.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.