Catch-22

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am finishing up watching Catch-22, just released on Hulu.
6 part, 40-ish minutes per episode.
Much better than the Alan Arkin movie of the 1970s.
Recommended.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If I could add a few thoughts. I did not hate the Adam Arkin movie; this is simply better (total run time is about 4 hours, so the director could go more in-depth.)

One thing that the latest Catch-22 did not really capture from the book, however, was the zany ridiculousness of the novel. Some examples from the novel that were not in (or barely noticeable) in the mini-series.

1. The dead man in Yossarian's tent and live guy who would put his name on flight manifests to justify flight pay, but was not on the cargo plane when it crashed, so was listed as dead, when he was standing on the ground next to Milo Minderbinder.
2. The Soldier in White (patient in the hospital) who has a bottom leading into his mouth and one leading from his groin. Every few days, the doctors will swap the bottles.
3. Yossarian editing letter from soldiers to family/friends back home by editing out all the articles in one letter, then editing all of the contents including the closing and inserting "I Yearn for your tragically, R. O. Shipman, Caplain."
4. In the novel, Milo Minderbinder was contracted by the Germans to bomb his own base, using B-25s to do it. In the series, the Luftwaffe does it itself using He-111's which is substantially less zany than the way Heller wrote it.

Okay, you can't include every bit of zany ridiculousness, even in a miniseries of four hours, but it was the tone of the miniseries, especially the later episodes. The zany humor was dropped earlier and the horror and insanity was all that was left. That happened in the book as well, but much later.

Anyway, I recommend it.

Production notes. Filmed in Sardinia, the producers flew two real B-25s all the way to Sardinia, including using some of the same airfields used to transport B-25s during WW II, including ones in Labrador and Greenland.

Joseph Heller, the author of the novel, served as a bombardier on a B-25 in Italy, flying 60 combat missions (although most were "milk runs" (no flak, no Luftwaffe fighters).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.