Anonymous coaches raise concerns about Alabama for 2019 season

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I hope you are right -- but why will they be "so much better that it will be stunning"?
at the beginning of last season, our secondary had a grand total of three games of starting experience across the top 6 players. 2 were DT after hootie went down in 17, and one was Diggs and he was benched partway through that one for Levi. We didn't even have role players who had played a lot in nickel and dime returning so the playing experience was the lowest it had EVER been since after Sabans first season. Losing Diggs really, really hurt. We also lost Wright who had played himself into a significant role in the first few games and would have potentially allowed some more player movement at positions after we lost Diggs. We also didn't have Armour-Davis, who was right next to Surtain, pushing Smith for time before the season.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do have concerns about Tua, not his talent, but his decision making. Opponents now have a full season of film to see his tendencies and reactions to pressure. I am in hopes that Coach Sarkisian will impress on him the need to play within himself, and take what the defense is giving him. Every drive does not result in a big TD pass, so many times it is about the little things, keeping a drive alive by throwing short passes to open receivers that result in a first down or throwing a pass way, punt and keep the opponent in a hole. His maturity as a QB will define our season.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I do have concerns about Tua, not his talent, but his decision making. Opponents now have a full season of film to see his tendencies and reactions to pressure. I am in hopes that Coach Sarkisian will impress on him the need to play within himself, and take what the defense is giving him. Every drive does not result in a big TD pass, so many times it is about the little things, keeping a drive alive by throwing short passes to open receivers that result in a first down or throwing a pass way, punt and keep the opponent in a hole. His maturity as a QB will define our season.
I think that Sark will be a much better QB coach than we had last season...:cool2:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I think that Sark will be a much better QB coach than we had last season...:cool2:
I believe that Sarks frustrations and steep learning curve with the Falcons will help Alabama be much more dynamic in the run game and involving backs in the passing game. I envision the offense being able to move the ball down the field with more explosive run plays and working to get single coverage opportunities with the receivers as occurred under Kiffin vs. some of the jump balls in the end zone from Tua that worked until they didn't.

It occurred to me over this weekend with Locksley heading to Maryland that we went into the Georgia game without a good understanding of their defensive scheme and how to attack it other than expecting Tua to make a perfect throw. When it didn't happen, Tua's injury occurred and Jalen came in, the only thing that changed was that Jalen moved away from pressure and bought time to find an open receiver. I tend to believe that there wasn't a lot that changed on the sideline or press box.

I expect that shifts to an offense that can take time off the clock and make big plays over the top when the opportunity comes.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm certainly no coach but the slant pass was open almost every time we used it last year. With receivers like JJ, Waddle and Ruggs we should be deadly if they make the first man miss. I'm not worried too much about Tua since the early part of the season should provide him time to work out any kinks.

I also think we will run the ball more this year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We should all remember that the offense chewed up Clemson but 2 INTs that led to 14 points and defensive inability led to point chasing in the 2nd half. Alabama had an outlier lower points output by yardage and Clemson had an outlier higher points output by yardage.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We should all remember that the offense chewed up Clemson but 2 INTs that led to 14 points and defensive inability led to point chasing in the 2nd half. Alabama had an outlier lower points output by yardage and Clemson had an outlier higher points output by yardage.
Actually, Clemson had 48 yards less against Alabama than they did in their other 14 games. The point total was a wash (44.3 to 44).

The two INTs leading to 14 points and the bad fake FG attempt (made because the defense wasn't getting enough stops) lead to the score being much worse.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I also think we will run the ball more this year.
Gosh, I hope so.
Tua threw a bunch of beautiful long TD passes last year.
From a defensive player's perspective, though, life looked like this: Get a stop (or give up a score), trot over to the sideline, get some O2, defensive coaches come over to correct things they are seeing, but, bam! Tua just threw another 67 yard TD pass. Defense, get your butts back out on the field!
That's exhausting.
In previous years, the Tide O would grind yardage down the field, take eight minutes off the clock, and rest the D.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Actually, Clemson had 48 yards less against Alabama than they did in their other 14 games. The point total was a wash (44.3 to 44).

The two INTs leading to 14 points and the bad fake FG attempt (made because the defense wasn't getting enough stops) lead to the score being much worse.
Heck, they hardly got yards on 1st and 2nd down too. I've said for years that our 3rd down defensive strategy needs a thorough QAing because it has been the crux of our bad performances.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Don't count out Josh Jobe as a starter either. This group will be much better and more experienced. Add a consistent pass rush off the edge and you could easily be the #1 defense again in 2019.
Jobe will be the starter at CB and a very good one. Diggs will play star which now is about 75-80% of the plays our defense runs. The secondary this year will be much better than last year and I feel it will make all the difference in the outcome of our season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jobe will be the starter at CB and a very good one. Diggs will play star which now is about 75-80% of the plays our defense runs. The secondary this year will be much better than last year and I feel it will make all the difference in the outcome of our season.
Diggs and Surtain seem like our likely base defense starters though. Jobe will be like several of our "5th DB" guys who doesn't play star but instead lets a starter slide inside. I think we're in good shape at corner and that is why Savion Smith left a year early. Good chance he might've gotten passed by Jobe either way.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Diggs and Surtain seem like our likely base defense starters though. Jobe will be like several of our "5th DB" guys who doesn't play star but instead lets a starter slide inside. I think we're in good shape at corner and that is why Savion Smith left a year early. Good chance he might've gotten passed by Jobe either way.
I think that Jobe is better than both of them. Doesn't mean he will start ahead of them.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Maybe but that is not how it was during the A-Day game, albeit against Tua and our WR's. I agree we are in good shape at corner and all of the secondary.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Maybe but that is not how it was during the A-Day game, albeit against Tua and our WR's. I agree we are in good shape at corner and all of the secondary.
Well, I wouldn't put too much stock on where folks played on the A-Day. Typically, Coach Saban likes to experiment in the Spring so that he knows exactly what each player can do and how they fit best into the rotations/packages... :cool2:

Like you pointed out, he had to split the team into two squads anyways.

Last edited:

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I agree with the statements about Tua. I think he became overconfident and the team suffered. As far as losing 2-3 games, we can lay an egg just as easy as anyone else. We have been extremely fortunate to not have had an off year in quite some time, it can and will happen at some point. If it happens CNS will use it to learn from and will result in us getting better. Let's hope not anytime soon!!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still feel that the key to us returning to where we were is directly related to having some stability in the coaching staff. I believe this staff could be his best, but we will have to wait and see.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Can't remember where, but I want to say I read/heard something from a coach last year along the lines that Tua seemed to make decisions before the snap and then ride them no matter what. I think that might be what is being termed cockiness here.
This wasn't a secret before, and it is fair to say that Venables saw it and baited it at (at least) some critical moments in the championship. Being able to go from one good read to countering the good read to his good read will determine Tua's next level. But he is 21, so he's pretty much a finished product.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Can't remember where, but I want to say I read/heard something from a coach last year along the lines that Tua seemed to make decisions before the snap and then ride them no matter what. I think that might be what is being termed cockiness here.
This wasn't a secret before, and it is fair to say that Venables saw it and baited it at (at least) some critical moments in the championship. Being able to go from one good read to countering the good read to his good read will determine Tua's next level. But he is 21, so he's pretty much a finished product.
That's a fair criticism. The difference between the first ten games and the last five is that most teams don't have the personnel to exploit that weakness. MSU, the barn (to an extent), UGA and definitely Clemson did.

We'll see if Tua has learned. I think he has.

The conventional wisdom in that a player makes the greatest leap from his first year to his second. National Championship game notwithstanding, as a true freshman, he didn't play a lot against teams who were still mentally into the game. So his Sophomore year was more like his first season as a true FBS player at the elite level. Point of all that being, I'm expecting big improvement in fundamentals, post-snap adjustments, and game management.

Hope I'm right. The book is out on him now.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.