Anonymous coaches raise concerns about Alabama for 2019 season

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
After checking with kyallie, I went ahead and posted this because I want to hear everyone's thought on that.

Click here

"I think Tua needs to humble himself,” the anonymous coach said. “I think he did some bad things in the bowl game that cost the team because he put himself ahead of the team. He needs to understand Alabama won national championships by playing great defense and special teams and not beating itself. In the national championship game, the quarterback play was atrocious, and some would say the play-calling, too."
"They've got holes in the defense,” the coach said. “I can see them losing 2-3 games. They lost (linebacker) Mack Wilson. They're missing guys up front. Raekwon Davis didn't play that well last year"
1. I think Tua too many risks down the stretch and Tua addressed that this past spring, so we know Tua should get lot better in that area.

2. how many time we've heard that Defense was going to be our weakest line, but we always have someone stepping up big each year. Last year was the exception.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was said for a good quotable but really no different than anything Nick Saban has been saying since the last game. It has been said by the head guy that Tua was trying to force too much.

I have no clue how we lose 3 games against this schedule unless TAMU, LSU, and Auburn all take major steps forward when other than TAMU it seems all are static or regressing.

Don't think losing Mack Wilson or Deionte Thompson are that big of a deal to be honest. They had bad seasons...Mack throughout...Thompson for the back 3/4 of the season. I don't know what production we're really losing at those spots that isn't replaceable level. Would prefer to keep them but their overall season resume in 2018 was quite literally replaceable level.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Constructive criticism is often a good thing but a coach cannot truly believe his own statement unless he is willing to put his name to it. Cheap shots are much easier taken anonymously. However, as rgw stated, this is nothing that CNS has not stated already and has addressed it with coaching changes, etc.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have no argument with the first statement. It stings, mainly because it’s right.

The second one is another matter. Mack Wilson didn’t have a good year, especially in the mental game. Which was a huge problem coming from the MLB position. It’s true that Raekwon struggled with focus. But it’s also true that before their breakout seasons, both Q and Daron Payne before him were, from ousiders’ perspectives, toiling in obscurity.

There’s no reason to think that we will be worse at any defensive position other than Q’s former spot — and while there’s no shame in that, the replacement looks like he has huge talent, motor, and upside. He’s just not experienced. And even that won’t be the case come November.

We should be better at 4 of 5 DB spots. Better, if thin early, at ILB. Materially better at OLB.

So while I can’t dispute the first argument, the second strikes me as wishful thinking from a rival.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hope every player on the team sees this!

There's some truth but some exaggeration also.

We had a long discussion about Tua not long after the season. He's shown he knows how to take coaching/criticism and turn it into improvement. I have no doubt he'll do that this year!

The defense will be fine and you know who will make sure of it!

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
The defensive comments are mind blowing. I’m not a coach, and even I could see Mack was having issues and Thompson was as well. Q will be impossible to replace, but that spot won’t be a weakness. The secondary should be better with all the experience back, and in the spiring the MLB’s looked really good. That could be a function of a simple offensive game plan, but they were in position and making plays all day. We will see for real when the live bullets start flying. CNS has put his best defenses on the field when he brought back experienced secondaries, and this one will be just that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with it. Tua does need to learn to check down - we know that better than anyone. Not sure that I blame his ego, though. This is coaching, and he is getting better coaching now. And the defense will be a problem if a lot of things are not addressed, but anyone who has followed Saban knows that these issues are being addressed. Heck, we saw some changes and progress in the Spring game.

This dynasty isn't dead yet, but many are hopeful.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Is it possible that we lose two or three games? Yes, it is. We play in the SEC, so going 9-3 or 10-2 is always a possibility, but I would be willing to bet that whoever this anonymous coach is that he would like to switch his roster with ours. Personally, I think we will be 11-1 or 12-0, but that is why they play the games.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Look, I have no problem with criticism but saying "the quarterback play was atrocious" invalidates the rest of your comments.

Did Tua have a great game vs Clemson? absolutely not. But that Clemson D was very good and had what? 3 1st round players on the DL. Plus another drafted in the 4th and an early 2nd round CB. Not to mention some of the guys who came back who will be drafted. Clemson was a really really really good team and Tua (while far from great) still had almost 300 yards around 8.6 yards/attempt and 2 tds (along with 2 ints).

I've seen far worse games from good QBs against worse defenses. Not to mention he didn't play much in the 4th quarter because our defense couldn't stop Clemson all night so it was already a blow out.

Tua needs to improve and I'm sure he will but I can't stand how people keep rewriting that game as if he was Blake Barnett out there or something.

Also, we aren't losing 2-3 regular season games. Anyone thinking that is dreaming. If we do then maybe it really is the end of an era.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't I agree with any of it, even the stuff about Tua. Yes, he needs to check down more often, but as B1GTide said, that's coaching.

Losing 2 or 3 games? Well I'm sure its bound to happen at some point but we haven't seen 3 losses in a season since 2010. I'd have to think some really unfortunate injuries have occurred if that is the case.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think we will likely lose two games this season. I cannot see a third loss. When you have massive turnover of staff in back to back seasons and, continue to feed the NFL with players who still have eligibility losses will happen. As for Tua, he needs coaching, plain and simple. As skilled as he is, he needs to see the bigger playing field than just going for the home run throw.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't like the accusation of "arrogance" about Tua.

But I do have a question about Tua and last year. Why didn't CNS step in and direct our OC/QB coach to work with Tua on checking down and hitting underneath open receivers more? My theory is I think the problem was noticed but no one apparently thought the problem was such that we'd lose a game because of it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it developed that way because most of the season he was hitting the splash play. I’ve watched a lot of the replays and he was far more judicious early in the season. Felt like he got comfortable with his ability to hit shock and awe plays and fell into bad habits.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Were these issues at the end of the season? Yes. Is CNS aware of them and probably will address all of them before August 2019? Yes. Are other issues that were not apparent in January likely to crop up this fall? Of course. That's just the nature of the beast.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, I feel like blaming the loss on Tua is pretty unfair the more I think about it. The reason we got our asses kicked was because our defense couldn't stop them. The offense got short-circuited by feeling the pressure of that scoring pace forced upon them by the defense. We had big defensive problems last year and I think most of it has been resolved in the back seven. I think the secondary looked a ton better in the Spring. Outside backer ought to be better barring injuries. Finding a few guys to play opposite Moses is really the only question in the back seven.

Clemson did to us what we did to most other comers in 2018 which is why our defensive issues went unregarded by many fans. Clemson had their own defensive problems beyond the DL but their offense just boatraced us and forced Alabama to chase touchdowns instead of FGs quite a bit.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.