Alabama Announces 3 Game Series with USF in 2023, 2024, and 2026

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I could be wrong, but I believe that there were special rules for Hawaii which made this possible. Alabama could not have scheduled this with any other team
A game outside the continental US does not count against the 12 game limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I could be wrong, but I believe that there were special rules for Hawaii which made this possible. Alabama could not have scheduled this with any other team
The NCAA allows Hawaii and teams that play @ Hawaii to have an extra home game because of travel cost going to and from Hawaii.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
1992 Alabama @ Tulane.
2002 @ Hawaii
2003 @ Hawaii
Going back to 1958.

1992 @ Tulane-only game I didn't see in person including the Sugar Bowl
1991 @ Memphis
1988 @ Temple
1987 @ Memphis-sad to say I was there
1985 @ Memphis
1983 @ Boston College (Foxboro)
1970 @ Houston
1961 @ Houston-only game I didn't see in person including the Sugar Bowl
1959 @ Houston

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

The Hawaii Exemption

"The Hawaii Exemption is a rule enacted by the NCAA that allows Division I football teams that play at Hawaii to schedule a 13th regular-season game. The rule also allows the Warriors to play an extra game."

The NCAA Bylaws that govern this situation are listed below (NCAA Division I Manual):
17.28.2 Alaska/Hawaii, Additional Football Contest
Member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii shall be permitted to exceed, by one, the maximum number of football contests permitted under Bylaw 17.9.5.1 but otherwise shall conform to the same maximum number of contests and dates of competition permitted other members of the Association.

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]
The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(k) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS]
Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico,respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question.

https://fbschedules.com/the-hawaii-exemption/

Last edited:

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Fun fact.....the COI now includes language in their infractions to prevent teams with bowl bans from scheduling games at Hawaii. USC had to get a special exemption in 2010 to play there because they had the game already scheduled for their regular season before the ban went into effect.

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
Live in the Bay area now, and given the recruiting we do in the area and the number of P5 scholarships signed in the area, it's no mystery. IMG is close in Bradenton , Armwood . Lakeland is less than 30 minutes away. Those 3 alone could have supplied a full roster in the last 4 years. Coach Saban is and will always be about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting! Roll Tide! Can't wait!!

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Inside sources at CNN tell me that if UCF comes within 18 points of Bama they're going to declare themselves National Champions and demand a victory parade at Disney World.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.