NCAA Rules Two Clemson Players Ineligible for 2019 After Failed CFP Drug Test

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Either the players were buying and sharing this widely among themselves, or Clemson provided them. Either is possible. At every gym in America you have people selling stuff like this. If it works, other guys see the results and want in. This stuff WORKS.

But at a place like Clemson, which has resources like Alabama to buy these kids whatever supplement they need to reach their potential, I find it far more likely that this came from Clemson staff than from the players.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It seems to me that a couple of players took something the program did not give them.

I won't criticize the Clemson program unless some really reliable definitive info comes to light. Clemson kicked Bama's backside on the field like nobody has in a long, long time. Criticizing the Clemson program unless something more definitive comes to light just smacks of sour grapes. Sometimes you just tip your hat, congratulate the opponent, and go back to getting ready for the next match-up.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
They probably took a legal supplement, not provided by the athletic department, and it was contaminated. Your guess is as good as mine. But the athletic department supplements tested negative. twenty players were tested and three tested positive. If it were in athletic department supplements, all twenty would have tested positive. That did not happen, plus the ad supplements tested negative for contaminants.
WHY would they take a supplement NOT provided by the Athletic Department?!?

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
It seems to me that a couple of players took something the program did not give them.

I won't criticize the Clemson program unless some really reliable definitive info comes to light. Clemson kicked Bama's backside on the field like nobody has in a long, long time. Criticizing the Clemson program unless something more definitive comes to light just smacks of sour grapes. Sometimes you just tip your hat, congratulate the opponent, and go back to getting ready for the next match-up.
I would agree except for renfro being a poor winner and accusing us of cheating with much less evidence.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would agree except for renfro being a poor winner and accusing us of cheating with much less evidence.
True, but comment's like Renfro's make it easier to be the better man.

As for banned supplements, I am sure Clemson tells every athlete in every sport, "Never take a supplement not given to you by us or one that has been checked out by us before taking it." I know Alabama athletes are given that lecture. I'd bet that happens at most schools.

That said, some players "know better" and will take some snake oil a friend gives them at the gym.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree. It seems that this is wholly on the players and neither Alabama or Clemson's suspensions during the postseason are a sign of systemic PED operations going on within either program. Top tier programs like Alabama and Clemson are doing it more "right" than most will give them credit.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I agree. It seems that this is wholly on the players and neither Alabama or Clemson's suspensions during the postseason are a sign of systemic PED operations going on within either program. Top tier programs like Alabama and Clemson are doing it more "right" than most will give them credit.
You could be possibly correct, but without blood samples and repeated testing over time, testing can only catch a subset of PEDs and processes. I bet the use of PEDs/blood doping is more widespread than we know based upon what cannot be tested in urine. One example is drawing your own blood, and injecting just the red blood cells at a later time. Very effective at increasing stamina but the process can kill you if done wrong.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Thank . . with quote.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Possibly so, but the NCAA only tested 27 football players, and 3 popped for the exact same thing. that's > 10% and somewhat suspicious. It still might not be someone official within the program, but it's a high enough number I'd suspect there are others who were not tested who were using it.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Let's not forget that the real competition on a team like Clemson and Alabama is not with the next opponent. It is with the other players on your team for playing time. Most of the players on these teams dream on getting to the NFL and the only way to do that is to get significant playing time. So the pressure to "get an edge" by taking something on the side, no matter what the coaches tell you to do must be pretty intense. I recall a survey taken several years ago of Olympic athletes. They were asked "If you could take a substance that was was totally undetectable and would boost your performance to a point where you would win a gold medal, but it would mean that you would die within a decade if you took it, would you take it?" Over 80% said yes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's not forget that the real competition on a team like Clemson and Alabama is not with the next opponent. It is with the other players on your team for playing time. Most of the players on these teams dream on getting to the NFL and the only way to do that is to get significant playing time. So the pressure to "get an edge" by taking something on the side, no matter what the coaches tell you to do must be pretty intense. I recall a survey taken several years ago of Olympic athletes. They were asked "If you could take a substance that was was totally undetectable and would boost your performance to a point where you would win a gold medal, but it would mean that you would die within a decade if you took it, would you take it?" Over 80% said yes.
I agree, but thinking this all the way through, if multiple players on one team were using it then they were talking about it. Maybe not out in the open, but among one another. And this supplement WORKS. It produces amazing results if you are willing to take the risks. So, even if it didn't come from Clemson directly, there is a strong likelihood that many more Clemson players were taking it.

Frankly, I am amazed that more athletes are not taking SARMs in general, and Osterine specifically.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I agree, but thinking this all the way through, if multiple players on one team were using it then they were talking about it. Maybe not out in the open, but among one another. And this supplement WORKS. It produces amazing results if you are willing to take the risks. So, even if it didn't come from Clemson directly, there is a strong likelihood that many more Clemson players were taking it.

Frankly, I am amazed that more athletes are not taking SARMs in general, and Osterine specifically.
This is entirely possible, and in fact what I think happened. One player heard about it, tried it and it worked. He then let some of his friends on the team in on the secret, and they all began using. And elite athletes who are 20 years old are not exactly the most risk adverse group you can come across.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Clemson lost their entire defensive line to the NFL as well as others like these kids. Tell me again why they're the favorite to win the NC?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If this were Alabama or OSU, the media would be out with pitchforks over this.
Yep. I remember we all thought Clemson would have media problems after 2016, but they’ve yet to get the media treatment of Alabama, Ohio State, and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yep. I remember we all thought Clemson would have media problems after 2016, but they’ve yet to get the media treatment of Alabama, Ohio State, and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the Andy Griffith Syndrome -- Dabo is the "Aw Shucks Sheriff"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.