Rod Bramblett and Wife in Serious Car Accident; Wife Passes Away (Update: Both Pass Away)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I would question the veracity of the friend's report. Plenty of places to do that research beyond what one person claims. Before we go too far down that rabbit hole come join the discussion(s) on that and similar topics in non-sports.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
There are 20+ year olds that don't understand that is bad. It is not just limited to 16 year olds.
Of course, and we wouldn’t think twice about holding a 20+ year old responsible for this so why excuse a 16 year old. I’m sorry but, 91 in a 55 is not a little teenage mistake. This isn’t fighting at school, underage drinking, or whatever stupid things teens do. This is 91 in a 55! 91 is freaking fast on an interstate, it’s unconscionable in a 55 zone.

I just don’t believe that age should allow someone to not face the consequences. I’m not saying he needs 10 years, that’s ridiculous. 1 to 2 years, in juvenile, is appropriate IMO. Maybe even 6 months with another 1 1/2 of community service/probation with a suspended license for that time period as well. There’s got to be some consequences IMO.

Reactions: Bama-94-00

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Of course, and we wouldn’t think twice about holding a 20+ year old responsible for this so why excuse a 16 year old. I’m sorry but, 91 in a 55 is not a little teenage mistake. This isn’t fighting at school, underage drinking, or whatever stupid things teens do. This is 91 in a 55! 91 is freaking fast on an interstate, it’s unconscionable in a 55 zone.

I just don’t believe that age should allow someone to not face the consequences. I’m not saying he needs 10 years, that’s ridiculous. 1 to 2 years, in juvenile, is appropriate IMO. Maybe even 6 months with another 1 1/2 of community service/probation with a suspended license for that time period as well. There’s got to be some consequences IMO.
I agree that there need to be some consequences, but age does matter or else we would electrocute five year olds. Just like a brain at five years is not fully developed the 16 year old brain has not reached maturity. I really don't think anyone is excusing the 16 year old, but the truth is that we don't know much of what happened other than his car was traveling very fast, cannabis was in his system (how much and from how long ago is not known), two people are dead, and he lived. Did he do it on purpose? We don't know. Did he fall asleep? We don't know. Was he high? We don't know. Was he being a stupid kid driving fast and lose control? We don't know. In my thinking we should know more prior to demanding an eye or tooth.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think this was a tragic accident. which left 2 young relatively children without parents. With that said, I do believe the kid needs counseling with possible a short juvenile detention sentence , but again, I don't think jail or prison time is the answer. If we jail every kid who does something stupid with a car, there won't be any teenagers left to fill our schools. My question this "If this was not a famous couple, what would the punishment be"? I have to wonder if there would even be any charges if the accident victims happened to be a non well known family and the accident happened in Cullman county.
I think a possible lawsuit would happen in any situation where an attorney thinks he/she can get some money. The fact that the people who were killed were well known just helps the attorney keep it in the public eye. Poor, unknown people can call Alex Shunarra, too. It was a tragic accident, and I hope the young children are able to persevere.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Idiots going to idiot.

Northcutt said in his response that Taylor was given a “surprise” screening on the day of the youthful offender hearing that came back negative.
So he's supposed to get extra credit for not showing up to court drunk?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
But we shouldn’t “ruin this young man’s life by putting him in prison forever” right? Right?....
I know your question was rhetorical, with a sarcastic overtone. But at this point, yes we should.

He has killed two people.

He has ruined the lives of their children — 3 or 4 as I remember.

He has damaged the lives of everyone who cared about the Brambletts.

Through his actions since the incident (I won’t call it an “accident,” as that implies random happenstance), he has shown that he has no remorse.

The general public needs to be protected by his absence from the population as a whole. Otherwise, it’s clear that there’s some innocent family out there somewhere (maybe yours, maybe mine, maybe a family you care about?) that will suffer the same fate at the Brambletts.

Please, let us have the strength to stop what is in our power to stop.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I know your question was rhetorical, with a sarcastic overtone. But at this point, yes we should.

Through his actions since the incident (I won’t call it an “accident,” as that implies random happenstance), he has shown that he has no remorse.

The general public needs to be protected by his absence from the population as a whole. Otherwise, it’s clear that there’s some innocent family out there somewhere that will suffer the same fate at the Brambletts.

Totally agree. He is most likely going to kill someone else if this doesn’t stop. Bottom line, mistakes are accidents but this young man is making CHOICES, and all the wrong ones.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The general public needs to be protected by his absence from the population as a whole. Otherwise, it’s clear that there’s some innocent family out there somewhere that will suffer the same fate at the Brambletts.

I agree and the kid really hasn’t learned from what I have read. I think DUI and DWI are crimes that I probably agree with the harshness of their general punishments. It’s a true danger to society crime in my opinion compared to some other minor crimes.

Also off topic. Does anyone have any news on the OP because I haven’t seen any posts for over a year from them. They posted quiet often. Just curious.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree that there need to be some consequences, but age does matter or else we would electrocute five year olds. Just like a brain at five years is not fully developed the 16 year old brain has not reached maturity. I really don't think anyone is excusing the 16 year old, but the truth is that we don't know much of what happened other than his car was traveling very fast, cannabis was in his system (how much and from how long ago is not known), two people are dead, and he lived. Did he do it on purpose? We don't know. Did he fall asleep? We don't know. Was he high? We don't know. Was he being a stupid kid driving fast and lose control? We don't know. In my thinking we should know more prior to demanding an eye or tooth.
Just a nerdish aside, but that scripture is often misunderstood. It was intended as a limitation on punishments. Earlier codes of law had much more draconian sentences. For example, in the code of Hammurabi (Mesopotamia), the punishment for adultery was for the offending couple to be wrapped in a carpet and thrown into the sacred river. Also - "Even the unjust are lucky enough to receive rain"...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The general public needs to be protected by his absence from the population as a whole. Otherwise, it’s clear that there’s some innocent family out there somewhere (maybe yours, maybe mine, maybe a family you care about?) that will suffer the same fate at the Brambletts.

Here is the thing. And I do not disagree with what you've said here. Not at all. But this horrific incident ruined his life as well. I'm not placing him on the same plane as the Brambletts, their family, and their friends. I'm only stating a fact that when an otherwise normal individual kills two innocent people unintentionally through their own negligence, their life is irrevocably altered. He is still only 18? What was that about the prefrontal cortex not being completely developed until the mid-20s? He has not even begun to process and put together what he did.

He has the slimmest of chances to make it to any kind of productive adulthood, prison time or not. It's a complete and utter tragedy.

Reactions: B1GTide

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Here is the thing. And I do not disagree with what you've said here. Not at all. But this horrific incident ruined his life as well. I'm not placing him on the same plane as the Brambletts, their family, and their friends. I'm only stating a fact that when an otherwise normal individual kills two innocent people unintentionally through their own negligence, their life is irrevocably altered. He is still only 18? What was that about the prefrontal cortex not being completely developed until the mid-20s? He has not even begun to process and put together what he did.

He has the slimmest of chances to make it to any kind of productive adulthood, prison time or not. It's a complete and utter tragedy.
Then the people around him with fully developed brains failed him. He’s had more chances than the Brambletts, time to face the consequences for his complete refusal to take advantage of the light punishment he received.

Reactions: colbysullivan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree - a tragedy for both families. I don't have much sympathy for the kid, but his family will be crushed by this. Not only are they essentially losing a youth in the prime of his life, but they are going to be treated poorly by those who blame family members for the tragedies like this.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

It is a tragedy for the kid as well. And a true shame and waste that his life is forever altered by something he did at 16 (17?).

While I admire your compassion, I think his conduct after the incident (continuing to drink, busted on DUI) indicates that he learned nothing, regrets nothing, and the chances of him inflicting harm on some other poor innocent family are high.

At this point, with the kid blowing multiple chances for redemption, I’m more concerned for the public at large — a mounting pile of evidence indicates that we are all safer with him locked up, and I’m not aware of him giving any basis for a reasonable person to think otherwise.

Regarding the undeveloped prefrontal cortex....I’ll cut some slack for a 16-21 year old not thinking or acting impulsively without thinking through potential consequences. That’s what youthful offender statutes are for.

That lenience doesn’t extend to drinking, smoking dope, driving at 90+ mph, leaving two people dead (three daughters without either parent), and more than one subsequent repetition of the type of behavior that led to their deaths. That’s just beyond the pale.

Regardless of who, if anyone, may have failed him, it’s now a question of public safety.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.