Rod Bramblett and Wife in Serious Car Accident; Wife Passes Away (Update: Both Pass Away)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree - a tragedy for both families. I don't have much sympathy for the kid, but his family will be crushed by this. Not only are they essentially losing a youth in the prime of his life, but they are going to be treated poorly by those who blame family members for the tragedies like this.
No it’s not about sympathy for me. He made choices, as a kid or young adult, and there are consequences. That’s just the reality of this situation. People failed him. What I think about when I view this situation from afar is, what can I do to ensure this is not my sons someday? At a certain point, it no longer matters. They leave the nest and they are on their own. This kid destroyed his life before ever exiting that nest. (And tragically destroyed several more).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It is a tragedy for the kid as well. And a true shame and waste that his life is forever altered by something he did at 16 (17?).

While I admire your compassion, I think his conduct after the incident (continuing to drink, busted on DUI) indicates that he learned nothing, regrets nothing, and the chances of him inflicting harm on some other poor innocent family are high.

At this point, with the kid blowing multiple chances for redemption, I’m more concerned for the public at large — a mounting pile of evidence indicates that we are all safer with him locked up, and I’m not aware of him giving any basis for a reasonable person to think otherwise.

Regarding the undeveloped prefrontal cortex....I’ll cut some slack for a 16-21 year old not thinking or acting impulsively without thinking through potential consequences. That’s what youthful offender statutes are for.

That lenience doesn’t extend to drinking, smoking dope, driving at 90+ mph, leaving two people dead (three daughters without either parent), and more than one subsequent repetition of the type of behavior that led to their deaths. That’s just beyond the pale.

Regardless of who, if anyone, may have failed him, it’s now a question of public safety.
My point about brain development is that this kid hasn’t even processed what he’s done yet. That isn’t coming for several more years, if he even makes it that for before total self-destruction.

My compassion is primarily for the Brambletts, make no mistake. There is some on some level for this kid, but I’m just making a point about the overall reality. Yes he needs to be removed from society. He doesn’t appear to have remorse at all. But I’d argue he’s not intellectually mature enough to even know what true remorse is. He needs to be shut down. If he ever has a chance, and people can argue whether he deserves a chance but I won’t go there, but if he ever has one it’s going to be from shutting down his life in prison for a long time.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is a useful counterargument.
Remember the kid who ws driving drunk and killed four people. He was the "affluenza kid."
His mommy intervened to protect him from the consequences of his actions, and even took him to Mexico when he had indicated (again) by his actions that he did not take to heart the leniency and attempts to understand the burden of his misdeeds.

My point is this: i think we would all like for the driver in the Bramblett's case to accept responsibility for his misdeeds, correct his life, and go on to live a useful and productive life, evidence that the guilty person does not take seriously what he did and the leniency he has been shown, lead me to believe that sterner admonishment is in order to get this young man's attention so he corrects his behavior in the future.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Remember the kid who ws driving drunk and killed four people. He was the "affluenza kid."
His mommy intervened to protect him from the consequences of his actions, and even took him to Mexico when he had indicated (again) by his actions that he did not take to heart the leniency and attempts to understand the burden of his misdeeds.
You got me curious, what ever happened with that kid? :unsure:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
You mean a kid who has yet to be held responsible for killing 2 people hasn't learned his lesson. What a shock! I go back to what I said 2 years ago, this kid should be behind bars, even longer now since he has proven he don't give a ....

Of course, and we wouldn’t think twice about holding a 20+ year old responsible for this so why excuse a 16 year old. I’m sorry but, 91 in a 55 is not a little teenage mistake. This isn’t fighting at school, underage drinking, or whatever stupid things teens do. This is 91 in a 55! 91 is freaking fast on an interstate, it’s unconscionable in a 55 zone.

I just don’t believe that age should allow someone to not face the consequences. I’m not saying he needs 10 years, that’s ridiculous. 1 to 2 years, in juvenile, is appropriate IMO. Maybe even 6 months with another 1 1/2 of community service/probation with a suspended license for that time period as well. There’s got to be some consequences IMO.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Unbelievable, originally no jail time after killing four people and injuring nine(including one paralyzed). After repeat offending and violating parole, sentenced to two years of jail time. Definitely daddy's money had an influence.

Wikipedia has this nugget: Couch drove himself to school at the age of thirteen. When the head of the school questioned that practice, his father threatened to buy the school.

• Wow
Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Unbelievable, originally no jail time after killing four people and injuring nine(including one paralyzed). After repeat offending and violating parole, sentenced to two years of jail time. Definitely daddy's money had an influence.

Wikipedia has this nugget: Couch drove himself to school at the age of thirteen. When the head of the school questioned that practice, his father threatened to buy the school.
Who could have predicted that Jr. would turn out to be a self-centered sociopathic scofflaw?

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hotlanta is bad. But I see your Atlanta traffic and give you Central Expressway from Dowtown Dallas to Plano. It's U.S. Highway 75 (non toll) so it's crazy. It's like riding an amusement ride, but it's not amusing. LBJ (I-635) runs a close second!

Other places I've driven that are pretty bad that I'd add to the list: Nashville, Boston, NYC, Knoxville (about a 100% chance to get in a traffic jam on I-40) and the winner goes to the Washington DC metro area!
I've done that 75, but I side with 92tide and the Atlanter crew here.

Maybe it's because I'm "used to it" here, but I nearly hyperventilate every time I drive Atlanta. I can be calm here even with the sudden inhaling.

Reactions: 92tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Made that trip a few times from Jasper! Also reminds me of the large pile of beer cans that once existed at the state line on the route back from Columbus, MS!
wait a minute.
I'm from Columbus.

Tell me about this......

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
wait a minute.
I'm from Columbus.

Tell me about this......
Lived in Jasper in the 73-74 time frame. Walker, Fayette and Lamar counties were and apparently still are dry. Apparently there was beer available at that time in Mississippi. At the state line near Columbus it appeared obvious that folks would jettison their beer cans in order to avoid legal issues waiting just across the Alabama state line. When we needed beer for a picnic or other outing we went the opposite direction toward B'ham but it stayed locked securely in the trunk until we were on private property.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Lived in Jasper in the 73-74 time frame. Walker, Fayette and Lamar counties were and apparently still are dry. Apparently there was beer available at that time in Mississippi. At the state line near Columbus it appeared obvious that folks would jettison their beer cans in order to avoid legal issues waiting just across the Alabama state line. When we needed beer for a picnic or other outing we went the opposite direction toward B'ham but it stayed locked securely in the trunk until we were on private property.
A friend of mine went to Ole Miss. He was a heavy drinker (since dried out, thankfully). He passed through Pontotoc with a beer in the car and got to spend the night in jail.

Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.