Rod Bramblett and Wife in Serious Car Accident; Wife Passes Away (Update: Both Pass Away)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
come spend a couple of months commuting in atlanta if you think you've seen bad driving.
Yeah I know it too well. But by state I don’t find Georgia drivers as bad as a whole. But it’s a matter of personal opinion of what makes one driver more unsafer than another. I think the most scared I’ve been driving is going through Tennessee in those mountain highways with small lanes while folks are flying and weaving in and out of traffic.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Having been the father of teenagers...it had to do with music selection. I have told my daughters several times to find station or playlist and don't mess with it while driving.

I wouldn't rule out gawking off to the side...

Sixteen year olds have absolutely no experience. Is Driver's Ed (in Alabama) even mandatory anymore...? :conf3:
As I posted way above, the kid who rear-ended me was both talking to his parents on his cell and gawking off to the side at my wife's car...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yeah I know it too well. But by state I don’t find Georgia drivers as bad as a whole. But it’s a matter of personal opinion of what makes one driver more unsafer than another. I think the most scared I’ve been driving is going through Tennessee in those mountain highways with small roads while folks are flying and weaving in and out of traffic.
The worst driving is concentrated in the city Atlanta and the sprawl around it. The state as a whole is not bad. I think Atlanta's bad driving is because of all the transplants from other states. It is like somebody decided to send the worst drivers from every state here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The worst driving is concentrated in the city Atlanta and the sprawl around it. The state as a whole is not bad. I think Atlanta's bad driving is because of all the transplants from other states. It is like somebody decided to send the worst drivers from every state here.
Atlanta is horrible, and if I didn’t go to Miami I would’ve said it’s by far the worst city to drive in that I’ve been to. Even Chicago moves smoothly compared to both.

I’ve heard the worst in the country are Boston and LA but I’ve never been.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Atlanta is horrible, and if I didn’t go to Miami I would’ve said it’s by far the worst city to drive in that I’ve been to. Even Chicago moves smoothly compared to both.

I have never been to Miami, but I would imagine it has the same issue as Atlanta - transplants.

I was in Boston 20 years ago, it was pretty bad. I cannot imagine it improved.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
come spend a couple of months commuting in atlanta if you think you've seen bad driving.
Hotlanta is bad. But I see your Atlanta traffic and give you Central Expressway from Dowtown Dallas to Plano. It's U.S. Highway 75 (non toll) so it's crazy. It's like riding an amusement ride, but it's not amusing. LBJ (I-635) runs a close second!

Other places I've driven that are pretty bad that I'd add to the list: Nashville, Boston, NYC, Knoxville (about a 100% chance to get in a traffic jam on I-40) and the winner goes to the Washington DC metro area!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

After driving the Dan Ryan for many years NASCAR became far less exciting. I mean six plus lanes all traveling at maximum velocity or completely stacked up stop and go with ice falling. On the other hand Atlanta is an absolute parking lot all rush hours and around holidays with the entire east coast attempting to get through on their way to Florida. That is true however for I-75 north and south. There are unsafe drivers everywhere traveling at way too high a speed then there are the outliers that end up killing others through their stupidity.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
My first post about Rod and his wife. Incredibly sad news, and the Auburn family will miss them dearly. I can't imagine sitting in Stand White's seat at that first game of the season, and the chair next to him does not have Rod Bramblett in it. I know they will honor him in some way.

On the subject of driving, sure, the big cities have some notoriously bad drivers. But, as someone who grew up in rural NW Alabama, Muscle Shoals/Florence area to be exact, those rural drivers can be even worse. Yeah, the cities have a lot of them, usually sitting in traffic jams on freeways. But the rural areas have the drunks coming in early in the morning hours, the wild animals that venture across the road and cause accidents, and the general lack of adherence to laws such as speeding, that makes rural drivers worse. Dark roads, booze, wide open speeds, people driving who are too old, too young, or just inexperienced, make those rural roads far worse IMO.

I drive Atlanta weekly, but live in Birmingham. I have driven Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, rural Minnesota, Des Moines, IA, Kentucky, Tennessee, both the Carolinas, including Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, and everywhere in between. Jerks are all around us. But I'll take the congestion of big cities over the recklessness of rural Lauderdale County Alabama, or Coffee/Houston County Alabama, any day.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My first post about Rod and his wife. Incredibly sad news, and the Auburn family will miss them dearly. I can't imagine sitting in Stand White's seat at that first game of the season, and the chair next to him does not have Rod Bramblett in it. I know they will honor him in some way.

On the subject of driving, sure, the big cities have some notoriously bad drivers. But, as someone who grew up in rural NW Alabama, Muscle Shoals/Florence area to be exact, those rural drivers can be even worse. Yeah, the cities have a lot of them, usually sitting in traffic jams on freeways. But the rural areas have the drunks coming in early in the morning hours, the wild animals that venture across the road and cause accidents, and the general lack of adherence to laws such as speeding, that makes rural drivers worse. Dark roads, booze, wide open speeds, people driving who are too old, too young, or just inexperienced, make those rural roads far worse IMO.

I drive Atlanta weekly, but live in Birmingham. I have driven Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, rural Minnesota, Des Moines, IA, Kentucky, Tennessee, both the Carolinas, including Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, and everywhere in between. Jerks are all around us. But I'll take the congestion of big cities over the recklessness of rural Lauderdale County Alabama, or Coffee/Houston County Alabama, any day.
You are absolutely correct on that. The speed and condition of drivers make all Alabama rural roads especially hazardous. I have never seen a highway patrol or sheriff's vehicle patrol rural bars where liquor and drugs are consumed in much too high quantities. Then there are prescription pain killers combined with alcohol that offer extraordinary hazards for anyone on the road.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
After driving the Dan Ryan for many years NASCAR became far less exciting. I mean six plus lanes all traveling at maximum velocity or completely stacked up stop and go with ice falling. On the other hand Atlanta is an absolute parking lot all rush hours and around holidays with the entire east coast attempting to get through on their way to Florida. That is true however for I-75 north and south. There are unsafe drivers everywhere traveling at way too high a speed then there are the outliers that end up killing others through their stupidity.
hell, the connector (i-75/85 thru downtown) is pretty much a parking lot at any given time 6am-8pm 5 days a week and from about 9-7/8 on weekends

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

when i was growing up, winston county was dry, surrounded by all dry counties. folks had to make beer/liquor runs to the "line" at colbert co. (iirc, it was in littleville) the party would start on the drive home.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
when i was growing up, winston county was dry, surrounded by all dry counties. folks had to make beer/liquor runs to the "line" at colbert co. (iirc, it was in littleville) the party would start on the drive home.
From Walker Co. it was the Jefferson Co. line. My mother and dad are teetotalers and I always wanted to stop at Greentop to get Barbeque but it never happened. :)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
From Walker Co. it was the Jefferson Co. line. My mother and dad are teetotalers and I always wanted to stop at Greentop to get Barbeque but it never happened. :)

Made that trip a few times from Jasper! Also reminds me of the large pile of beer cans that once existed at the state line on the route back from Columbus, MS!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
hell, the connector (i-75/85 thru downtown) is pretty much a parking lot at any given time 6am-8pm 5 days a week and from about 9-7/8 on weekends
Sometimes I’ll look out the window from the hotel room and see 285 just stacked nose to tail and I say,”Nope” and close the curtain. It wouldn’t be so terrible if the back roads and shortcuts weren’t slam full of cars as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Sometimes I’ll look out the window from the hotel room and see 285 just stacked nose to tail and I say,”Nope” and close the curtain. It wouldn’t be so terrible if the back roads and shortcuts weren’t slam full of cars as well.

The back roads are people that were on 285 but thought they were being smart by getting off to take the back roads. These people are the worst. I have had days where I could have biked home faster than t took to drive it because of these people.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Maybe one day you'll look at the window and see a different scene.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.