Bart Starr has died

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m seriously saddened by this news. In my entire life I’ve never heard a bad word about Bart Starr. When I was a kid all my friends were Packers fans and that is still true. Starr was a great role model for young boys. It really doesn’t seem that long ago. Life is short.

A tweet from Brett Favre describes Bart Starr well:

Bart Starr was the most kind, thoughtful and classiest person you could ever know. I consider myself extremely lucky to have called him friend and to have been mentioned in the same breath. Deanna and I are praying for Cherry and the Starr family. #RIP BartStarr

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
The clearest indictment of the Ears Whitworth era (as if one were needed) would be the fact that Bart Starr sat on the bench his entire final season at Bama. If any former UA player had reason to be bitter about his time at Bama, it would've been Starr (especially given the revelation from his widow that his own teammates injured his back during an A-Club hazing ritual). That he maintained affection and loyalty to his alma mater to his last days speaks volumes about his strength of character.

RIP, RTR, and Go Pack Go

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
RIP Bart. Saw a NFL Network special on Bart and everyone interviewed said he was a good football player and a great human being. He was the reason I became a Packers fan as a young boy.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Hard to think of a better representative for UA or mankind as far as I’m concerned. He will be missed. A life well lived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I too was fortunate enough to meet him in 1995 or 1996. I was going to a friends house in Riverchase (where we live now) and made a wrong turn and ended up in a culdesac with 2 or three large homes. In the middle of the culdesac was a natural area with large shrubs, small trees and flowers and someone doing some work. I said “excuse me but I’m lost” and the man turns around and it’s Bart Starr. Like an idiot I said “you’re Bart Starr”! He said well yes I am. Anyway I told him I was a bit turned around but he didn’t know the street I was looking for and I said thank you and Roll Tide and he said “have a nice day and good luck finding your friends house and then he said Roll Tide! What a gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know exactly where you are talking about and wish I had been you. I have always respected his privacy enough to have never tried.

I was unfortunate to have never met him. To echo earlier comments, you couldn't find a single person on this planet that would have a negative thing to say about him. Probably the only famous person in modern times that I would have really liked to have met... :frown:

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Bart was a great player for Sidney Lanier HS, a great player for the Pack and would have been a greater player for us if he'd not been injured. Carried himself as a gentleman at all stations he served. RIP, #15, and thanks for all you did for your state, your school and pros.

RTR, forever.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Bart was a great player for Sidney Lanier HS, a great player for the Pack and would have been a greater player for us if he'd not been injured. Carried himself as a gentleman at all stations he served. RIP, #15, and thanks for all you did for your state, your school and pros.

RTR, forever.
I went to school at Lanier for one year in the mid-seventies and they were proud of him even then.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
RIP Bart Starr. I never read or heard one negative thing said about Bart Starr. In this day and age, that's truly remarkable and says a lot about the type of person he was.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.