Alcohol at SEC venues

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sadly, this might be the nail in the coffin for my attending games - it's frustrating enough dealing with the absolute wasted fools at the games as is, I can only imagine what it will be like when they can continue to add fuel to the fire during the game.

I'll give it a chance, but considering most people are idiots when they have a few too many, I'm not very optimistic.
I have been down to attending one home game a year for the past decade, I may have been to my last game at BDS. Time continues to pass me by, oh well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have been down to attending one home game a year for the past decade, I may have been to my last game at BDS. Time continues to pass me by, oh well.

They announced earlier today that Alabama would not be changing its policy with respect alcohol sales.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
For what worth... OU has been studying the availability of alcohol at its various sports venues for years but only made it available at Owen Field, other than in the suites, at this year's spring game. The most interesting findings were that revenue increases aren't that much because of the increased expenses associated with serving the product. There have been no increases in alcohol related incidents at games or matches, depending on the sport. Alcohol advertising does become an opportunity although AB already sponsors SOONERSPORTS TV. The selling point made by the administration is..."fan experience." We are just like most programs...it is becoming increasingly difficult to ensure a sold out football game.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Let me pour a little more gas on the fire...
Ever been to Tiger Stadium when LSU plays at night?
A large number of fans are drunk before the game begins. It can get wild
after a big game. (When I was a kid, we lived walking distance to the stadium.)
I'm sure there are other examples, but I was there and had first hand knowledge
about the drunk rowdies at LSU games.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ever been to Tiger Stadium when LSU plays at night?
A large number of fans are drunk before the game begins. It can get wild
after a big game.
I have been there, first time Nick Saban was back actually. Great atmosphere.

That's considered to be the most intimidating place to play in the SEC to play right?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That's considered to be the most intimidating place to play in the SEC to play right?
Not for Bama. The only time they ever owned Alabama there was from 2000-2008. Otherwise it goes by it’s true unofficial name... Bryant Denny West and Bama fans should really claim it on our tax returns because we own them.

The only venue(s) vs a SEC team where Alabama doesn’t hold an advantage is vs Auburn in Auburn and Tuscaloosa

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not for Bama.
Obviously I was speaking in regards to the atmosphere and the crowd. Alabama doesn't actually play the fans, though they can have some effect.

I'm also pretty sure the teams aren't usually drunk either, heh.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Obviously I was speaking in regards to the atmosphere and the crowd. Alabama doesn't actually play the fans, though they can have some effect.

I know what you were talking about. Just pointing out that it’s intimidating for fearful weak teams. BDS is nowhere near a loud hostile stadium compared to Auburn, LSU, Florida, UGA, or aTm, but how many of those teams have less than 5 home losses since 2010?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just pointing out that it’s intimidating for fearful weak teams. BDS is nowhere near a loud hostile stadium compared to Auburn, LSU, Florida, UGA, or aTm, but how many of those teams have less than 5 home losses since 2010?
It isn't just the "atmosphere" though, which admittedly doesn't seem to phase Alabama. It's also the crowd noise, and there has been time that has influenced Alabama or Alabama's opponents respectively. So your point is valid in that Alabama doesn't necessarily need help. I was just pointing out that from personal experience not only can a rowdy crowd be fun, but it can actually be an advantage.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It isn't just the "atmosphere" though, which admittedly doesn't seem to phase Alabama. It's also the crowd noise, and there has been time that has influenced Alabama or Alabama's opponents respectively. So your point is valid in that Alabama doesn't necessarily need help. I was just pointing out that from personal experience not only can a rowdy crowd be fun, but it can actually be an advantage.
I can see it as an advantage, but I think where BDS ranks on crowd noise compared to the others makes me think it’s not necessary to shoot for a LSU type crowd.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'm glad they arent gonna allow it. it's not just behavior during games, but the behavior after games on the way out. I've seen some bad enough things as is. Thats not even including people driving home drowsy. They would be both drowsy and plastered. Thats just my personal opinion on it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure that I can agree that you can really separate "atmosphere" and "crowd noise," since the noise is a necessary component. And I've certainly seen the noise faze Alabama...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I guess I’ll go on record as being for beer sales at games as long as they maintain family alcohol free zones, or just have alcohol sales zone.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've always thought that if they'd just allow alcohol sales that it would cut down on people coming into the stadium hammered. I'm sure that alcohol sales will likely never extend to the student section, so these problems with disruptive and potentially dangerous fans will never truly be reigned in but for the other 80%+ of the stadium is a great start.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've always thought that if they'd just allow alcohol sales that it would cut down on people coming into the stadium hammered. I'm sure that alcohol sales will likely never extend to the student section, so these problems with disruptive and potentially dangerous fans will never truly be reigned in but for the other 80%+ of the stadium is a great start.
Ohio State really has not seen a difference in fan behavior before, during or after a game since this was allowed 2 seasons ago. Small sample size, but I really think that the cost of beer in the stands ($8-$9/beer) keeps most people from changing long standing behaviors. Folks who were sneaking in booze before are still sneaking in booze. Folks who were drinking before and after are still drinking before and after.

As for profits - OSU made about $1.25MM in additional profits in each of the last few seasons because of beer sales. Not huge, but enough to help in lean years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
According to a Barrett Sallee tweet posted earlier in this topic, two schools that started serving alcohol in stadium saw pretty sharp decline in some alcohol-related safety indicators. I don't think it is a silver bullet though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
According to a Barrett Sallee tweet posted earlier in this topic, two schools that started serving alcohol in stadium saw pretty sharp decline in some alcohol-related safety indicators. I don't think it is a silver bullet though.
Barrett Sallee.....

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
No to alcohol. I realize people sneak alcohol into games. But usually the drunks are responsible for fights at games. The fewer drunks at a game, the better.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.