Do you remember the down years for Alabama football?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And lost to the Barn 40 to 0. I've hated, well disliked to the nth degree, the Barn since that game. Oh, but Coach Bryant was coming to town soon, real soon.

The "Ears" years had to be the very WORST in Alabama Crimson Tide history.
And - we almost upset them Coach Bryant's first year. I ran into a boyhood friend who attended AU in the parking lot after that game and he commented that he wouldn't be surprised if we won a national championship in a couple of years. I just thought "absurd," but it wasn't at all...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
And - we almost upset them Coach Bryant's first year. I ran into a boyhood friend who attended AU in the parking lot after that game and he commented that he wouldn't be surprised if we won a national championship in a couple of years. I just thought "absurd," but it wasn't at all...
I can't help but remember how good the 1958 season seemed to be after Whitworth's 0-10-0, 2-7-1, and 2-7-1 record for the previous three seasons. On top of that after some of the drubbings we'd received, for the for the biggest margin in a loss to be by 10 points to the eventual national champions was an eye opener. Since freshmen weren't eligible back then, Coach Bryant accomplished that solely with Whitworth's players and with squad considerably diminished in numbers after the number of players that quit or were run off the previous Spring. Of course, the Coaching Football course taught by the "staff" and conducted in pads on the field between Woods Hall and the old Dressler Hall probably helped both skill develpment and QPA's. The course was pretty much limited to players and was legal at the time but quickly put an end to once the SEC office heard of it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can't help but remember how good the 1958 season seemed to be after Whitworth's 0-10-0, 2-7-1, and 2-7-1 record for the previous three seasons. On top of that after some of the drubbings we'd received, for the for the biggest margin in a loss to be by 10 points to the eventual national champions was an eye opener. Since freshmen weren't eligible back then, Coach Bryant accomplished that solely with Whitworth's players and with squad considerably diminished in numbers after the number of players that quit or were run off the previous Spring. Of course, the Coaching Football course taught by the "staff" and conducted in pads on the field between Woods Hall and the old Dressler Hall probably helped both skill develpment and QPA's. The course was pretty much limited to players and was legal at the time but quickly put an end to once the SEC office heard of it.
Marvin, remember Marlin Dyess' long pass reception to set up the FG? The only Div I player I ever knew smaller than I. Then there was Darwin Holt, playing LB at my size. He was a friend. Different world...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My first year as an Alabama fan was CMS' season in 2006. That was an odd year for me as a rooting fan. Kept seeing/hearing all about the tradition Alabama had, but the play on the field didn't reflect it.

2010 was rough though. Alabama only lost 3 games...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Marvin, remember Marlin Dyess' long pass reception to set up the FG? The only Div I player I ever knew smaller than I. Then there was Darwin Holt, playing LB at my size. He was a friend. Different world...
Yep, remember the pass play well. I had a couple of classes with Dyess, a nice guy and smart too. I really didn't know Holt though I met him a couple of times, I did see him go damn near homicidal at a party when someone hit on his date, made a mental note to not make that mistake. Similarly, I saw Gary Phillips do pretty much the same under similar circumstances. He was another of the small linemen, playing tackle at around 180 - 185. Actually I suspect that you and I probably knew or were acquainted with a number of the same people since the student population was so small then, a bit over 8,000 I think...

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The 80s were not all that bad. But considering how dominant we were in the 70s, I can see it being looked at as a down period.

1997-2006 were without a doubt the lowest in my lifetime. I actually volunteered to work on Saturdays at my radio station so I wouldn't watch some of the games.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember watching Coach Bryant's Sunday afternoon show and recall Coach, while reviewing the film when Marlin "Scooter" Dyess had the ball, saying, "get to the sideline, Scooter".

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The 80s were not all that bad. But considering how dominant we were in the 70s, I can see it being looked at as a down period.

1997-2006 were without a doubt the lowest in my lifetime. I actually volunteered to work on Saturdays at my radio station so I wouldn't watch some of the games.
Agreed that 1997-2006 were the lowest point in my lifetime as well. However, I am quick to point out to others that even at the "lowest" point, Alabama still managed to win 10 games every third year (1999, 2002, 2005). Not too many schools can claim that during their low-point.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Agreed that 1997-2006 were the lowest point in my lifetime as well. However, I am quick to point out to others that even at the "lowest" point, Alabama still managed to win 10 games every third year (1999, 2002, 2005). Not too many schools can claim that during their low-point.
I think in almost our entire history we have had only one coach that did not have a 10 win season. Ears Whitworth.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yep, remember the pass play well. I had a couple of classes with Dyess, a nice guy and smart too. I really didn't know Holt though I met him a couple of times, I did see him go damn near homicidal at a party when someone hit on his date, made a mental note to not make that mistake. Similarly, I saw Gary Phillips do pretty much the same under similar circumstances. He was another of the small linemen, playing tackle at around 180 - 185. Actually I suspect that you and I probably knew or were acquainted with a number of the same people since the student population was so small then, a bit over 8,000 I think...
I'm sure that's true. It's sad that so many are dying off. At least we're hanging on by our fingernails... :D

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I'm sure that's true. It's sad that so many are dying off. At least we're hanging on by our fingernails... :D
Too true, and my fingernails seem to be getting a bit worn down and ragged. That said, I can't really complain as I still roll out of bed around 4:30 or so, putter around a while then head off to work. I've said for years that I'd retire when it got hard to get up and go, but that still hasn't happened as yet. My wife is just as bad, does the same and leaves for work maybe half an hour after i do. Guess we're both incorrigible.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Do I remember them? They are permanently etched in my brain cells...late 60's....late 80's...mid 90's to 2007...you always remember the losses more than the wins...always.
Yup.

Or as Lewis Grizzard rhetorically asked, "Why are the highs never as high as the lows are low?"

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I know Scooter. When I met him, I was really surprised at how short he really was. You can't judge a book by its cover... ;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Mark McMillan was a little guy too. He was 5'-7" and playing DB. Almost every receiver he covered towered over him. He even played several years in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.