Do you remember the down years for Alabama football?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know there are others who are older, but I lived thru two pretty long droughts, by Tide standards.

The 80's were tough after losing CPB and seeing Auburn rise to become the better program. Things changed in the 90's, thankfully.

Then, the more recent drought, which was tougher, was the "Mike" era that ended with the dire effects of NCAA probation. The loses to Auburn and Tennessee during that stretch were the most difficult. Then, 2007 happened!!!

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
The "down" periods always seem to remain in one's subconscious longer than the up times. I've been fortunate enough to have lived through the entire golden age of SOONER FOOTBALL...from Bud to Barry to Bob to Lincoln yet the '90's are seared in my brain. We were terrible; I mean horrendous. The good times sort of run together. As Switzer said, " how much rice can a Chinaman eat "

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I started in 1957. I think we won one and tied one...
Haha...I almost wrote "Cue Earl for the late 50's."

Incidently, I was reading about Bart Star over the weekend. When he came out of HS in the mid 50's Bama was bad and about to get worse under Ears. Bart actually wanted to go to Kentucky and play under Coach Bryant, who had a much better program than Bama at the time. But Bart's HS sweetheart went to Auburn and he decided KY was too far away from her and went to Bama. So thanks to Auburn, we got Bart Starr. His QB career at Bama was far from impressive, though. Probably why the Packers got him as the 200th pick in the draft. He was the first Tom Brady.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes of course. And I remember all of the off the field nonsense as vividly as the on the field atrocities.

I remember the little jingles Paul Finebaum, or someone from his show, would write as parodies of whatever was going on. For example, "Country Roads, take Mike home" was sung to the tune of the John Denver song "Country Roads." The parody was about firing Mike DuBose.

I remember fRAN, feeling like we'd hired a winner, and then being to utterly let down when he left everyone hanging.

I remember the Price debacle as if it happened yesterday.

Then the perfect mediocrity of the Shula years.

Yes, I remember the down years very well.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
My first born son (born summer 1996) was 13 before Bama was really good in consecutive years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes of course. And I remember all of the off the field nonsense as vividly as the on the field atrocities.

I remember the little jingles Paul Finebaum, or someone from his show, would write as parodies of whatever was going on. For example, "Country Roads, take Mike home" was sung to the tune of the John Denver song "Country Roads." The parody was about firing Mike DuBose.

I remember fRAN, feeling like we'd hired a winner, and then being to utterly let down when he left everyone hanging.

I remember the Price debacle as if it happened yesterday.

Then the perfect mediocrity of the Shula years.

Yes, I remember the down years very well.
Fran: "Hold the rope" but he "dropped the rope"

Price: "We Rollin..." - First and only coach at Bama to have a perfect record. Won the spring game and didn't make it to the fall because he went rolling with stripppers.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Nope, I have erased them from memory. We went from Coach Bryant, to Coach Stallings to Coach Saban.....everything in between has been erased

CrimsonDynasT

2nd Team
Sep 23, 2007
Four of the winningest college football programs had a losing season last year: Florida State, Nebraska, Tennessee and USC.

Do you remember the down years for Alabama football?

https://thegruelingtruth.com/colleg...most-recent-losing-year-for-alabama-football/
I remember getting excited when we signed D. J. Hall because he was a high 3 star. My has the recruiting world turned upside down for us--now a high 3 would probably yield a bit of disappointment

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.