Alabama vs LSU Will Not Be CBS Prime Time (First Time Since 2011)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Re: Alabama vs LSU Will Not Be CBS Prime Time (First Time Since 2010)

No, Miami was by no means a power in 1968 - certainly not what they were in 1988 - but they WERE ranked in six of the first even AP polls in 1968, getting knocked out after a 31-6 pasting at the hands of (would you believe it?) Auburn.

According to the write-ups I can find from the game, Scott Hunter hit Donnie Sutton with a 74-yard TD pass with 2 seconds left in the first quarter. Mike Dean returned a Pick Six off of Miami QB Lew Pytel.

=====================================

Respectfully - you are probably thinking of the 1963 Alabama-Miami game, won by Alabama, 17-12. Jackie Sherrill had a last minute interception of Mira in that game, which was played the same day Notre Dame hired Ara Parseghian as head coach.

That game was played December 14, 1963 - one week after the famous Army-Navy game, and three weeks after the assassination of President Kennedy.

HISTORICAL NOTES

The (then) newly elected President, Richard Nixon, attended the Alabama-Miami football game in 1968.

The day after the 1968 Alabama-Miami game brought one of the most famous games in NFL history: the Heidi Bowl.

The same day as the Heidi Bowl, the Chicago Bears unleashed their backup running back on the Atlanta Falcons. This is because a week earlier, Gale Sayers suffered a season-ending knee injury. He was replaced by a guy named Brian Piccolo, who - less than one year later - would be diagnosed with embryonal cell carcinoma (and die seven months later).
You of course are correct on the dates and my making an assumption on the Alabama-Miami Game that was the first game broadcast. What is puzzling to me is that I recall watching the 1963 game on TV as well. It is also interesting that Namath would have been the Bama QB but I do not recall him playing in the 63 game.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You of course are correct on the dates and my making an assumption on the Alabama- Miami Game that was the first game broadcast. What is puzzling to me is that I recall watching the 1963 game on TV as well.
You are correct.

The 1963 Miami-Alabama game was televised on CBS.

It was the only Alabama game televised nationally during the regular season in 1963. And the only Miami game that year as well.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I remember that game as being a great game but don't really recollect individual plays. I watched it at my grandmother's house with my dad because Big Mama had the only color TV in the family.

That was also the year all NCAA teams wore the number 100 on the side of their helmets because it was the 100th anniversary of college football. I wonder if there may be a patch this year?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.