Alabama vs LSU Will Not Be CBS Prime Time (First Time Since 2011)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And other assorted nuggets from the CBS football schedule.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/05/sec-on-cbs-2019-schedule-includes-pair-of-doubleheaders.html

1) Alabama vs South Carolina (9/14) will be a 230pm kickoff.

2) The Cocktail Party (11/2) will also be at 230pm

3) The Arkansas-Mizzou game will kick off at 130pm the day after Thanksgiving.

4) The doubleheaders this year will be September 21 and November 16, the latter being an 11 am and 230pm DH.

The sole CBS prime time game will be on September 21.

SEC ACTION on 9/21
Notre Dame at UGA
USM at Alabama
Auburn at Texas A/M
Florida at Tennessee
Kentucky at MSU
LSU at Vandy
Cal at Ole Miss
SCAR at Mizzou

I'm guessing the CBS games will be the UF/UT game (pretty much always) and UGA/Notre Dame at night.

SEC ACTION on 11/16
Alabama at MSU
Georgia at Auburn
Florida at Mizzou
UK at Vandy
LSU at Ole Miss
SCAR at ATM
Tennessee and Arkansas are idle that week

I figure 230 on 11/16 is probably going to be Auburn-UGA.....and the 11 am will be a tossup between us/MSU and Ole Miss/LSU, depending on the better draw at the time.....which means early kickoff.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Alabama vs LSU Will Not Be CBS Prime Time (First Time Since 2010)

It's gonna be ND @ UGA. No doubt.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

They could still change it to prime time if they so please.
Well.....you never say never.

But they have to pull one of those swaps that's beneficial to the other networks to get them to sign off on it.

Whether or not they will even want to do that.......I guess it depends on the records of the teams in mid-October.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

I think not having Alabama vs. LSU at night is a gross miscarriage of justice!! In reality, its the biggest game of the year by a million miles at my house. My baby brother graduated from LSU the same week I did from Bama and I live in a house divided. This night game is a big deal at our house because we cook and invite the whole world over. With LSU's recent revival, I just don't see how this game isn't a prime time night game. It traditionally has been one of the biggest SEC games of the season for the past decade.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Look at the November 9 conference slate. Barring some surprises, there's not really a game worth the 2:30 slot outside of Alabama-LSU. Thus, there's no justification to having a doubleheader that day.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018

A little off topic but who remembers the first televised prime time college football game?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

I wasn't a fan of having it in that time slot anyway. Maybe that was just me though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

A little off topic but who remembers the first televised prime time college football game?

Well, I wasn't around but.....according to what I've heard said over and over, it was the Alabama-Texas 1965 Orange Bowl.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I also hear tell that the first REGULAR SEASON game in prime time was the 1968 Alabama-Miami game on ABC.

(Don't know if this is true, but we were such a draw it would make sense).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

OK, so I combed through the newspaper archive.

ABC Sports announced on April 15, 1968 that the Alabama-Miami football game of November 16 would be a "night game" telecast nationally.

(To just give you a bit of the historical background....April 15, 1968 was just 11 days after Dr M L King was murdered).

The Sporting News of 9/11/68 says the game will kick off at 830 pm EST.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I also hear tell that the first REGULAR SEASON game in prime time was the 1968 Alabama-Miami game on ABC.

(Don't know if this is true, but we were such a draw it would make sense).
At that time I don't believe that Miami was considered to be a football power but they did have an All American QB in George Mira who could throw the football. Without looking through the archives of the game I believe we would find that one Jackie Sherrill intercepted Mira when Miami was driving in the 4th Quarter to win a close game for Bama.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I was one of the millions of people there that night seated in the south end zone :smile:. Unless my memory fails me the game began at 8:30 Central to accommodate TV. Going back and watching film of the game I don't believe that it really indicative of just how great of an athlete Archie was at ground level. In one 50+ yard run he ran completely the width of the field though the Bama defense and dove into the corner of the south end zone just below where I sat as a Tide defender tackled him. It was an amazing play. Scott Hunter didn't come up lacking either and threw a TD late in the 4th to put Bama ahead to stay. Hunter played during a tough down period for the Tide but should be considered as one of the top all time passers at Bama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

At that time I don't believe that Miami was considered to be a football power but they did have an All American QB in George Mira who could throw the football. Without looking through the archives of the game I believe we would find that one Jackie Sherrill intercepted Mira when Miami was driving in the 4th Quarter to win a close game for Bama.
No, Miami was by no means a power in 1968 - certainly not what they were in 1988 - but they WERE ranked in six of the first even AP polls in 1968, getting knocked out after a 31-6 pasting at the hands of (would you believe it?) Auburn.

According to the write-ups I can find from the game, Scott Hunter hit Donnie Sutton with a 74-yard TD pass with 2 seconds left in the first quarter. Mike Dean returned a Pick Six off of Miami QB Lew Pytel.

=====================================

Respectfully - you are probably thinking of the 1963 Alabama-Miami game, won by Alabama, 17-12. Jackie Sherrill had a last minute interception of Mira in that game, which was played the same day Notre Dame hired Ara Parseghian as head coach.

That game was played December 14, 1963 - one week after the famous Army-Navy game, and three weeks after the assassination of President Kennedy.

HISTORICAL NOTES

The (then) newly elected President, Richard Nixon, attended the Alabama-Miami football game in 1968.

The day after the 1968 Alabama-Miami game brought one of the most famous games in NFL history: the Heidi Bowl.

The same day as the Heidi Bowl, the Chicago Bears unleashed their backup running back on the Atlanta Falcons. This is because a week earlier, Gale Sayers suffered a season-ending knee injury. He was replaced by a guy named Brian Piccolo, who - less than one year later - would be diagnosed with embryonal cell carcinoma (and die seven months later).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I was one of the millions of people there that night seated in the south end zone :smile:. Unless my memory fails me the game began at 8:30 Central to accommodate TV.
I hope I didn't sound like I was picking on you in the last post - good job here, though.

According to the Amarillo Daily News for October 4, 1969, the game was scheduled for 930 pm Eastern time because......for the first time in MLB history, there were divisional playoffs (e.g. the very first-ever ALCS and NLCS first games were both played on October 4).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.