Link: Amid New Calls to Pay Athletes, Alabama AD Has a Few Thoughts

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Sorry for the inundation of my opinions on this thread, but this is really a PANDORA'S BOX that should NOT be opened! :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Who cares? You are okay with the status quo because meaningful change that would actually benefit these players would be hard to monitor? The NCAA created this nightmare. Disband them altogether and let the players do whatever they want with their names and likeness.
OK, let's chunk all of the rules then...

Let's play "Calvin Ball" on Saturdays...[Google it]

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry for the inundation of my opinions on this thread, but this is really a PANDORA'S BOX that should NOT be opened! :cool2:
Why not? Again, you are opposed to something that makes perfect sense because it is hard? Every meaningful change comes with risks and difficulties. We can't let something being difficult keep us from doing what is right and just.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I just want my NCAA Football (Insert Year Here) game back for PS4 and/or Xbone.

The last entry was SEVEN years ago. It was NCAA Football '13 with RGIII on the cover with the 2012 Team Rosters.

Do what needs to be done so I can beat teams 80+ to 0 again with Current Rosters.

It's a MAJOR pain to try and create them all from scratch from the 2013 game alone.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I could be wrong here, but I think Cajun may be referring to the EA Sports CFB game? If I'm not mistaken, while not the genesis, certainly a huge cog in this whole mess is the O'Bannon (Basketball) EA Sports trial, right? That's certainly more a likeness deal than doing an Ad in a Bama jersey...
There is probably established law that would help. As for Alabama getting a cut if the player wore an Alabama uniform in an ad - Alabama probably would not allow the player to wear an Alabama uniform in an ad. Alabama is very protective of its trademarks.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Why not? Again, you are opposed to something that makes perfect sense because it is hard? Every meaningful change comes with risks and difficulties. We can't let something being difficult keep us from doing what is right and just.
No, I am opposed because of ALL of the loopholes that it creates...and there will be LOTS of them!:cool2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I could be wrong here, but I think Cajun may be referring to the EA Sports CFB game? If I'm not mistaken, while not the genesis, certainly a huge cog in this whole mess is the O'Bannon (Basketball) EA Sports trial, right? That's certainly more a likeness deal that doing an Ad in a Bama jersey...
That is a tiny piece of this, even if it started the ball rolling. This gets down to simple things like players being able to sell autographs or sign endorsement deals. It is their name, and their reputation. They should be allowed to market them if a market exists.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
IIRC, Alabama spends and average of over $100k/year for each football player when you include scholarships, room and board, travel, and medical (not counting coaching salaries).

I think there's room for discussion, but if sports generated the profit revenue that many seem to think there'd be no need for the Crimson Standard, etc...
For a regular student to have similar opportunities...
That student would need the equivalent of $150G. a year.
Thinking back to the late 60s when I was in college,
I was in shock when I paid $100 each for some text books.
Then we got killed again when we discovered that text book
wasn't going to be used the next semester. (No resale)
I wasn't a Jock in college, I was a kid who loved booze too much, that cost a lot...
BTW: I paid off my college loans in 10 years.
(Quit drinking too)

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
That is wrong in every way. Alabama did not make Tua into Tua. God did.

Tua would be just as big a name if he were playing anywhere else. Put him in a minor league for the NFL and he would be rich right now. If the NCAA doesn't figure this out, one of these other football leagues will. Then college football will no longer get the best players - only those not good enough to make it into these leagues.
The problem with this thought process is this . . . coming out of HS in Hawaii, Tua was definitely not as well known as he is now. What made him 'Tua?' I'd argue 2nd and 26 made him 'Tua' in the country's eyes. While 2nd and 26 was a play produced on the field by Tua himself, he's never even in position to make that play without . . . the University of Alabama. Playing for a coach employed at a school who spent a LOT of money on him (and the team) to get the team and Tua himself into that position. The opportunity to have his name splashed all over media networks, et al, comes from the opportunity afforded him by the university. Had he gone straight to the pros from HS, there's a very good chance he's riding the pine until he's developed enough to play. Then, factor in, he may have been picked up by a team that doesn't develop or protect QBs very well. In this instance, Tua risks never being known at all.

So, I think there's a very good argument that Alabama - in a way - did make Tua into Tua. Obviously, he did the work; but so did the school in getting him the opportunities to shine on national TV.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The problem with this thought process is this . . . coming out of HS in Hawaii, Tua was definitely not as well known as he is now. What made him 'Tua?' I'd argue 2nd and 26 made him 'Tua' in the country's eyes. While 2nd and 26 was a play produced on the field by Tua himself, he's never even in position to make that play without . . . the University of Alabama. Playing for a coach employed at a school who spent a LOT of money on him (and the team) to get the team and Tua himself into that position. The opportunity to have his name splashed all over media networks, et al, comes from the opportunity afforded him by the university. Had he gone straight to the pros from HS, there's a very good chance he's riding the pine until he's developed enough to play. Then, factor in, he may have been picked up by a team that doesn't develop or protect QBs very well. In this instance, Tua risks never being known at all.

So, I think there's a very good argument that Alabama - in a way - did make Tua into Tua. Obviously, he did the work; but so did the school in getting him the opportunities to shine on national TV.
Before he played a snap at Alabama, Trent Dilfer said that Tua was the best passer that he had ever seen at his age. Before he ever played a snap at Alabama - "I think Tua has a chance to be an exceptional football player," Dilfer said. "Not good. Not great. Exceptional."

Now, you could argue that he became more marketable after the 2nd and 26 play because it is obvious - America loves a winner more than it loves talent. Be he was Tua before that play, and he would have achieved that level of greatness with or without Alabama - with or without college football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Look, I get what you guys are saying - it will be very complicated to work this out.

But consider that allowing athletes to make money on their name and likeness would lift players at all levels. Even if less known players could not earn from endorsement deals individually, they could earn something collectively by shooting local commercials as groups of players or entire teams in small markets that love and support those small schools. They could also immediately make money selling autographs within their college communities and their home communities (where they played HS ball). Opportunities exist for these young men right now, and NCAA rules prohibit them from taking advantage of those opportunities.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of these players (in all sports, not just football) have a very limited window in which their name and likeness have value. Almost none will move on to a professional league. For almost all of these athletes, their earning window closes the day that they move on to the next phase of their lives. And the NCAA prohibits them from taking advantage of those opportunities while they exist.

Yeah, it will be hard, but what is happening now is wrong and change is required. The schools do not oppose a change. The players do not oppose a change. Only the NCAA opposes change. Frankly, that should tell us all that we need to know.

I don't really have another argument and am not articulate enough to make my case any better, so I'll bow out of the thread because all I can do is continue to repeat myself and that isn't going to do anything to promote the conversation.

:cheers2:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Look, I get what you guys are saying - it will be very complicated to work this out.

But consider that allowing athletes to make money on their name and likeness would lift players at all levels. Even if less known players could not earn from endorsement deals individually, they could earn something collectively by shooting local commercials as groups of players or entire teams in small markets that love and support those small schools. They could also immediately make money selling autographs within their college communities and their home communities (where they played HS ball). Opportunities exist for these young men right now, and NCAA rules prohibit them from taking advantage of those opportunities.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of these players (in all sports, not just football) have a very limited window in which their name and likeness have value. Almost none will move on to a professional league. For almost all of these athletes, their earning window closes the day that they move on to the next phase of their lives. And the NCAA prohibits them from taking advantage of those opportunities while they exist.

Yeah, it will be hard, but what is happening now is wrong and change is required. The schools do not oppose a change. The players do not oppose a change. Only the NCAA opposes change. Frankly, that should tell us all that we need to know.

I don't really have another argument and am not articulate enough to make my case any better, so I'll bow out of the thread because all I can do is continue to repeat myself and that isn't going to do anything to promote the conversation.

:cheers2:
This is what I can't understand about any of your argument. What is wrong with guys/gals trading their athletic abilities for college tuition packages worth anywhere from $50,000 to $250,000? These kids are treated like heroes and have tremendous benefits that normal students can only dream about. Let me ask you this? If their deals are so bad, why do so many kids still walk on and play for free? I usually agree with most of your arguments, but we couldn't be further apart on this one. Illegal/wrong? Give me a break. Most people would love to have the deal these kids get. I'm to the point that I wish colleges would just break away and say we are still about education first and foremost but would still love to offer athletic scholarships with the current benefits. Let pro teams worry about paying athletes who have no desire to get degrees and just want money right now. Good luck to them.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is what I can't understand about any of your argument. What is wrong with guys/gals trading their athletic abilities for college tuition packages worth anywhere from $50,000 to $250,000? These kids are treated like heroes and have tremendous benefits that normal students can only dream about. Let me ask you this? If their deals are so bad, why do so many kids still walk on and play for free? I usually agree with most of your arguments, but we couldn't be further apart on this one. Illegal/wrong? Give me a break. Most people would love to have the deal these kids get. I'm too the point that I wish colleges would just break away and say we are still about education first and foremost but would still love to offer athletic scholarships with the current benefits. Let pro teams worry about paying athletes who have no desire to get degrees and just want money right now. Good luck to them.
I mostly disagree with you and probably your reasoning but I'd actually be ok with this IF there was a legitimate alternative to college for players.

The problem is there just isn't a legitimate path to the NFL for college players outside of college

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
This is what I can't understand about any of your argument. What is wrong with guys/gals trading their athletic abilities for college tuition packages worth anywhere from $50,000 to $250,000? These kids are treated like heroes and have tremendous benefits that normal students can only dream about. Let me ask you this? If their deals are so bad, why do so many kids still walk on and play for free? I usually agree with most of your arguments, but we couldn't be further apart on this one. Illegal/wrong? Give me a break. Most people would love to have the deal these kids get. I'm too the point that I wish colleges would just break away and say we are still about education first and foremost but would still love to offer athletic scholarships with the current benefits. Let pro teams worry about paying athletes who have no desire to get degrees and just want money right now. Good luck to them.
Think about how this would dovetail into recruiting pitches. "If you come to our school, you will have a shot at exposure abd bigger bucks than if you go to that other school." or "We can guarantee you will get endorsement money"...(even if its from a booster's company). That last part is the start of even bigger issues. Do we want out and out bidding wars (I know it basically happens now anyways)? With money involved, it then involves the IRS and Fed agents. (Hmm, maybe its not a bad thing as far as that goes.) There are probably many other things that will morph from this whole issue if it comes to fruition.

At any rate, its a box that when opened, can NEVER be closed again...:rolleyes:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
As soon as players are allowed to make money on their names and likeness then you can throw traditional recruiting out the window. Players will be signing with the highest bidder. Now, I'm in the group that thinks the players already get enough (and then some) for their efforts, but if this were to move forward maybe only allowing it for seniors would work. Might encourage some to stay a full four years

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Idk if this would work but what if you could only make money off your likeness after your freshman year or something?

Sure you could still promise kids you'd do ads for them but I think both players and boosters would be more hesitant if its not an immediate payment as soon as you're on campus.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Idk if this would work but what if you could only make money off your likeness after your freshman year or something?

Sure you could still promise kids you'd do ads for them but I think both players and boosters would be more hesitant if its not an immediate payment as soon as you're on campus.
That is similar to one of the issues Cole Cubelic brought up a few months back. Say Bo Nix gets a big deal from a company after (complete hypothetical here) being named Auburn's starting QB as a true freshman. Goes down to College Station in week four and throws a few INTs and gets benched the rest of the season. Depending on how the contract for his deal is written, he could lose a chunk of money because the ads could be pulled (who wants to advertise with a backup QB?).

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I say that if the players get paid -- then they should have to pay the coaches for their personal professional training....Coach Cochran as a personal trainer, and gym membership fees.

They should also have to pay for their jerseys, their shoes, their meals, and their tuition. OR -- let's look at it this way. They can make money off of their signatures, etc -- but then they have to count everything the university does for them as taxable income.

This thing unravels quickly if you ask me.

Either they are professionals or they are amateurs. Not sure why people think it's okay to have it both ways.....

In 1-3 years -- they can cash in on their likeness....if it's still worth anything.....as much as they want to

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.