Link: Amid New Calls to Pay Athletes, Alabama AD Has a Few Thoughts

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
IIRC, Alabama spends and average of over $100k/year for each football player when you include scholarships, room and board, travel, and medical (not counting coaching salaries).

I think there's room for discussion, but if sports generated the profit revenue that many seem to think there'd be no need for the Crimson Standard, etc...
So, maybe we should eliminate Scholarships, better meals than you can get anywhere else, weight/training facilities, textbooks, medical issues, etc. So, I guess we pay them and then $CHARGE$ them for room, board, meals, INSURANCE for medical issues, textbooks, having to take classes with hopefully a major in business/finance so they'll know how to more effectively deal with money they get in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. Oh, but less than 5%, I think, of all athletes make it in the PROFESSIONAL leagues.? Hmmmmm.

If you pay athletes, you can't discriminate because someone is a female or they don't compete in a 100,000 seat facility. So, equal PAY to PLAY, whether it's softball, baseball, football, basketball, track, rowing, competitive marble playing, lacrosse, golf, competitive spitting athletes (that's to see who can spit the farthest as a team), swimming, etc. That etc. is for any creative sport that I've left out of that list.

So, will each athlete start out receiving $1+ million per year. What if they spend the entire $1 million in one month, a week ... purchase a Mercedes, a home for mom, etc.? Will state legislatures come up with an ATHLETE TAX to gouge people in the top 50% bracket or just the top 1% since ticket sales alone will not do the job? Just thinking out loud ....

I don't think I'd want to be an AD now or in the future.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I say that if the players get paid -- then they should have to pay the coaches for their personal professional training....Coach Cochran as a personal trainer, and gym membership fees.

They should also have to pay for their jerseys, their shoes, their meals, and their tuition. OR -- let's look at it this way. They can make money off of their signatures, etc -- but then they have to count everything the university does for them as taxable income.

This thing unravels quickly if you ask me.

Either they are professionals or they are amateurs. Not sure why people think it's okay to have it both ways.....

In 1-3 years -- they can cash in on their likeness....if it's still worth anything.....as much as they want to
Do you pay taxes on a work uniform? Do NFL players pay their coaches and managers?

That's what you're saying they should do.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Think about how this would dovetail into recruiting pitches. "If you come to our school, you will have a shot at exposure abd bigger bucks than if you go to that other school." or "We can guarantee you will get endorsement money"...(even if its from a booster's company). That last part is the start of even bigger issues. Do we want out and out bidding wars (I know it basically happens now anyways)? With money involved, it then involves the IRS and Fed agents. (Hmm, maybe its not a bad thing as far as that goes.) There are probably many other things that will morph from this whole issue if it comes to fruition.

At any rate, its a box that when opened, can NEVER be closed again...:rolleyes:
That is another reason that I don't think college athletes should be paid like that. As I said, they already get tuition and benefits and public relations opportunities that are worth a lot more than people want to admit. I think they have a great deal, and I can't understand why people think they don't.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Before he played a snap at Alabama, Trent Dilfer said that Tua was the best passer that he had ever seen at his age. Before he ever played a snap at Alabama - "I think Tua has a chance to be an exceptional football player," Dilfer said. "Not good. Not great. Exceptional."

Now, you could argue that he became more marketable after the 2nd and 26 play because it is obvious - America loves a winner more than it loves talent. Be he was Tua before that play, and he would have achieved that level of greatness with or without Alabama - with or without college football.
That's not even arguable at all. If you can't see how much playing for Alabama has lifted Tua's stature from hyped HS QB to proven commodity, there's really no sense in continuing to discuss. To think that this kid would have gotten endorsement deals out of HS based on a comment from Trent Dilfer is laughable. Tua was known to those who follow college recruiting coming out of HS. Now he's known by anyone who follows football. Period. How many Tua jerseys would Nike have sold the fall of Tua's freshman year vs how many are sold now? NONE, outside of a smattering of Bama fans. There's a reason that Alabama employs a slogan, "Built by Bama," as a recruiting tool. It's for players to understand that this college program will build you in several ways, one of those being becoming a marketable "brand" to the NFL and the endorsement opportunities it presents.

Using your argument, Blake Barnett should have endorsement deals with Nike, Calvin Klein and Applebees right now . . .

Colleges provide capital and marketing opportunities that athletes coming out of HS just don't have. They invest tons of money in their athletes. Way more than just tuition, room and board. For many of the athletes, the quality of life provided by the university is a definite step up from what they've known previously. People can argue about it three ways to Sunday, but it's a fact. It's easy to single out a once in a generation player like Tua; but it's important to look at the entire forest, not just one tree.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's not even arguable at all. If you can't see how much playing for Alabama has lifted Tua's stature from hyped HS QB to proven commodity, there's really no sense in continuing to discuss. To think that this kid would have gotten endorsement deals out of HS based on a comment from Trent Dilfer is laughable. Tua was known to those who follow college recruiting coming out of HS. Now he's known by anyone who follows football. Period. How many Tua jerseys would Nike have sold the fall of Tua's freshman year vs how many are sold now? NONE, outside of a smattering of Bama fans. There's a reason that Alabama employs a slogan, "Built by Bama," as a recruiting tool. It's for players to understand that this college program will build you in several ways, one of those being becoming a marketable "brand" to the NFL and the endorsement opportunities it presents.

Using your argument, Blake Barnett should have endorsement deals with Nike, Calvin Klein and Applebees right now . . .

Colleges provide capital and marketing opportunities that athletes coming out of HS just don't have. They invest tons of money in their athletes. Way more than just tuition, room and board. For many of the athletes, the quality of life provided by the university is a definite step up from what they've known previously. People can argue about it three ways to Sunday, but it's a fact. It's easy to single out a once in a generation player like Tua; but it's important to look at the entire forest, not just one tree.
You don’t think Tua would have been immediately marketable if he went to USC or Oregon? Anywhere else he probably is QB1 as a true freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Do you pay taxes on a work uniform? Do NFL players pay their coaches and managers?

That's what you're saying they should do.
As an independent contractor, you have to buy your own clothes, and pay your own gas, etc. Pay for your own training.

These guys wouldn’t be directly Employed by Bama. They would be 1099 workers.

Plus NFL guys don’t get year round room and board.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The current regime is not sustainable. It is not even reality. Athletes get paid now. It's just under the table. Always has been since I've been around. Amateur sports is a facade, nothing more. This will bring it much more into the open.Light is a disinfectant.

Players are already paid some amount and I imagine they will be paid a stipend so every player at a school receives a base amount. They could receive royalties from video game endorsements with the school and perhaps other similar deals.

They should be able to make money. The "amateur" Olympics do it. If they can, then CFB can figure it out as well.

The days of schools being able to profit off these young men while the young men get only an education, coaching, medical care, and other necessities has come and gone. Court rulings have changed. Society has changed. College football has changed.

Other students can profit off their likeness and do work in their field while in college for profit. Athletes are supposed to be like other students. They are not (see previous statement), but they were never really like other students to begin with (see everything else about student athletes).

It's going to be messy, but what we have now is messy.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The current regime is not sustainable. It is not even reality. Athletes get paid now. It's just under the table. Always has been since I've been around. Amateur sports is a facade, nothing more. This will bring it much more into the open.Light is a disinfectant.

Players are already paid some amount and I imagine they will be paid a stipend so every player at a school receives a base amount. They could receive royalties from video game endorsements with the school and perhaps other similar deals.

They should be able to make money. The "amateur" Olympics do it. If they can, then CFB can figure it out as well.

The days of schools being able to profit off these young men while the young men get only an education, coaching, medical care, and other necessities has come and gone. Court rulings have changed. Society has changed. College football has changed.

Other students can profit off their likeness and do work in their field while in college for profit. Athletes are supposed to be like other students. They are not (see previous statement), but they were never really like other students to begin with (see everything else about student athletes).

It's going to be messy, but what we have now is messy.
I guess my problems with that statement are that most schools athletic departments don't make money. The money that is made is usually put into nicer facilities for the student-athletes. Only a few of these student-athletes become professionals and have careers as paid athletes, so the education that many seem to undervalue means a lot to the 98% of student-athletes who do something other than professional sports. Most student-athletes benefit a lot more from the relationship with the universities they attend than the universities benefit from them.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I guess my problems with that statement are that most schools athletic departments don't make money. The money that is made is usually put into nicer facilities for the student-athletes. Only a few of these student-athletes become professionals and have careers as paid athletes, so the education that many seem to undervalue means a lot to the 98% of student-athletes who do something other than professional sports. Most student-athletes benefit a lot more from the relationship with the universities they attend than the universities benefit from them.
The truth is probably that each benefits from the other. That, however, is not the issue. It is irrelevant. The NCAA at one time limited the amount assistant coaches could be paid. The assistant coaches filed suit. They won. This is a losing battle and IMHO if you believe grown men (young as they are) should be prohibited from earning money for their ability and likeness - which is unlike any other student at these schools - then I believe you are wrong today just like I was wrong in the past. The bigger school already enjoy an advantage over what they pay athletes. This would bring it out into the sunshine.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The truth is probably that each benefits from the other. That, however, is not the issue. It is irrelevant. The NCAA at one time limited the amount assistant coaches could be paid. The assistant coaches filed suit. They won. This is a losing battle and IMHO if you believe grown men (young as they are) should be prohibited from earning money for their ability and likeness - which is unlike any other student at these schools - then I believe you are wrong today just like I was wrong in the past. The bigger school already enjoy an advantage over what they pay athletes. This would bring it out into the sunshine.
I don't think they should be prohibited from earning money for their abilities. I just think that what they earn with an athletic scholarship is worth quite a bit of money; whereas, it seems that some only think cash money has value. I also wish the pro leagues would be forced to start their own minor leagues where the kids who want cash instead of education, food, room, training, medical care, tutoring, clothing, etc. could go and start making their cash. College baseball does just fine without the kids who go straight to the minors, and I would still watch college football and basketball without the kids who would go straight to the minors in those sports, too. I'm all for those kids making money from the very moment they sign a contract with a professional league; however, I still think the kids who decide to attend university and play have a heck of a deal already. That's all. I do appreciate your opinion and have enjoyed the discussion, though. I won't dislike your posts or tell you that you are wrong because that is a matter of opinion as I see it. Anyway, have a good one.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I don't think they should be prohibited from earning money for their abilities. I just think that what they earn with an athletic scholarship is worth quite a bit of money; whereas, it seems that some only think cash money has value. I also wish the pro leagues would be forced to start their own minor leagues where the kids who want cash instead of education, food, room, training, medical care, tutoring, clothing, etc. could go and start making their cash. College baseball does just fine without the kids who go straight to the minors, and I would still watch college football and basketball without the kids who would go straight to the minors in those sports, too. I'm all for those kids making money from the very moment they sign a contract with a professional league; however, I still think the kids who decide to attend university and play have a heck of a deal already. That's all. I do appreciate your opinion and have enjoyed the discussion, though. I won't dislike your posts or tell you that you are wrong because that is a matter of opinion as I see it. Anyway, have a good one.
I appreciate the reply. These guys do get a great deal from the schools. Never meant to imply they didn't. But no other student is prohibited from using their likeness to earn money. Only athletes. I do see some limitations being placed on certain types of endorsements, but I see no realistic way to hold this back for long. For better or worse, it is the future.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I disliked the post for one reason - because I had respectfully bowed out of the thread and you quoted me in a reply to that post, arguing with me. If someone tries to respectfully bow out of a conversation, please learn to let them go. I respect every opinion - even those with which I disagree.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I disliked the post for one reason - because I had respectfully bowed out of the thread and you quoted me in a reply to that post, arguing with me. If someone tries to respectfully bow out of a conversation, please learn to let them go. I respect every opinion - even those with which I disagree.
FYI:

You can go to "Settings" on top right then "Subscriptions" on left side 1/4 way down then find the thread you'd like to unsubscribe to and you will no longer receive emails on it. Basically, if you truly want to bow out then the onus is on you.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
FYI:

You can go to "Settings" on top right then "Subscriptions" on left side 1/4 way down then find the thread you'd like to unsubscribe to and you will no longer receive emails on it. Basically, if you truly want to bow out then the onus is on you.
Because I no longer want to contribute does not mean that I no longer want to read. There is such thing as basic forum etiquette. I was responding to something clearly directed at me.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Because I no longer want to contribute does not mean that I no longer want to read. There is such thing as basic forum etiquette. I was responding to something clearly directed at me.
Perhaps so (and thank you for toning it down a bit), but no one is obligated to ignore your past posts if they want to address an argument contained therein. You can choose to bow out or you can choose to continue reading or you can choose to keep responding. It's all up to you. Every bit of it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Perhaps so (and thank you for toning it down a bit), but no one is obligated to ignore your past posts if they want to address an argument contained therein. You can choose to bow out or you can choose to continue reading or you can choose to keep responding. It's all up to you. Every bit of it.
I stated my opinion - to him - should have done it in a PM because it was really none of anyone else's business. Then I explained my post to you. I'm out.

:cheers2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.