Link: Amid New Calls to Pay Athletes, Alabama AD Has a Few Thoughts

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I did not intend to make you feel as if I had dragged you back into a conversation. You were bowing out, which to me just meant that you would no longer respond in the thread. It's like if you were in a conversation with me and a few other people and made your last statement and walked away. I may still use something you said in order to make a counterpoint to the people I am still talking to even though you have walked away. Seriously, I'm just trying to understand those viewpoints of people who think these kids are treated poorly or those who equate the situation to slavery. I just absolutely cannot understand that viewpoint. I'm not trying to jump up and down and say only my way of thinking is correct. I'm trying to understand their points because I do not currently. I did not mean to "call you out" or make you feel like you had to defend yourself. Anyway, this is a good topic of conversation for college football, which is a subject that I have cared deeply about for years. I guess I just enjoy watching these kids who put it all on the line representing the name on the front of the jersey instead of the name on the back of the jersey.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
You don’t think Tua would have been immediately marketable if he went to USC or Oregon? Anywhere else he probably is QB1 as a true freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most definitely. That was my point. Colleges offer these kids a platform to develop and become marketable. No way these kids get endorsement deals without the platform colleges provide from the age of 18-20 (unless, of course, they happened to jump to the NFL and become an immediate star, which odds would be highly against). That's a tangible benefit that gets looked over when discussing paying players and people argue that the kids get nothing right now from the schools.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This has been a great discussion and I think we all can agree that whether we agree on it or not. There will be change (to some degree) in this area at some point. To what degree and the consequences that come from it, are yet to be determined.

For the record so to speak, I have zero problem with players making money (independently) on their likeness, autographs, endorsements etc. However, I do not agree that in allowing this, it will accomplish what some think it will accomplish. That it will keep the elite players on the college campuses. Personally, I don't think it will accomplish that, rather do the opposite. But that is just my opinion. Anyways, I've really enjoyed following this thread.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Because I no longer want to contribute does not mean that I no longer want to read. There is such thing as basic forum etiquette. I was responding to something clearly directed at me.
I respect and enjoy your opinions. However, anyone should be able to comment on a post if you put it out there...

If you want to address it without further feedback, perhaps a PM would be more appropriate? Rtr

I often post replies to a comment without reading ALL of the subsequent comments. So, sorry if this appears as a rehash.

Two more months...

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Of course not, in fact its a benefit to them because they have not competition for athletes.
I think the current college format is the safest, "low risk high return" model for the players, even for those who we all know will go to the pros. A player has the opportunity to pursue not only a pro career but to also build a safety net (a respected college degree) just in case their pro aspirations don't workout. Will or can an independent league that strives to compete for the elite players out of HS offer that? From an investment standpoint, if I'm a player, unless an alternative option other than the college route offers over $200,000 in base salary AND great health insurance. It's better for me to go the traditional college route. Any independent league that is formed is going to have a very, very hard time competing with and matching what the current college format has to offer.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think the current college format is the safest, "low risk high return" model for the players, even for those who we all know will go to the pros. A player has the opportunity to pursue not only a pro career but to also build a safety net (a respected college degree) just in case their pro aspirations don't workout. Will or can an independent league that strives to compete for the elite players out of HS offer that? From an investment standpoint, if I'm a player, unless an alternative option other than the college route offers over $200,000 in base salary AND great health insurance. It's better for me to go the traditional college route. Any independent league that is formed is going to have a very, very hard time competing with and matching what the current college format has to offer.
Mostly/kinda agreed. And you could make it even harder if you were colleges/NCAA if you allowed players to make money either off the players likeness or some other alternative.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The gap between the "Have and Have nots" would then become the new "rage against the machine" once that can of worms has been opened. Along with how much does the LaCross player get as opposed to the Basketball player.
Comparing different sports is like comparing a Ugo with a Cadillac.
Their value is not quite the same.
Comparing players of any given sports is not the same either.
This is why the Pros pay different players different amounts.
Should a Receiver who drops half his passes receive the same 'Pay'
as a real big time receiver. NO...

I don't see a way to compensate that includes the value of the players.
I'm for players not becoming 'Professionals' until they join the Pros.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I’m going to offer my opinion: I believe when players are paid money (outside of scholarships and what is currently provided) it will lead to corruption. I believe it will change college football in a bad way. I’m not one of those people who believe the game and the way it’s run should never make improvements. At some point in time I know the game may leave me behind and a new sort of fan base will come on the scene. Does that mean I cease to be an Alabama fan? No, it means I lost interest in the game itself and that it no longer is something I spend time doing. Do I think I will be missed? No, others will take my place and enjoy it in their own way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I’m going to offer my opinion: I believe when players are paid money (outside of scholarships and what is currently provided) it will lead to corruption. I believe it will change college football in a bad way. I’m not one of those people who believe the game and the way it’s run should never make improvements. At some point in time I know the game may leave me behind and a new sort of fan base will come on the scene. Does that mean I cease to be an Alabama fan? No, it means I lost interest in the game itself and that it no longer is something I spend time doing. Do I think I will be missed? No, others will take my place and enjoy it in their own way.

Let's not be naive enough to believe the game isn't already pretty corrupt. This wouldn't cause the corruption to go away like some, but this isn't going to turn a clean game into a massive cesspool.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This has been a great discussion and I think we all can agree that whether we agree on it or not. There will be change (to some degree) in this area at some point. To what degree and the consequences that come from it, are yet to be determined.

For the record so to speak, I have zero problem with players making money (independently) on their likeness, autographs, endorsements etc. However, I do not agree that in allowing this, it will accomplish what some think it will accomplish. That it will keep the elite players on the college campuses. Personally, I don't think it will accomplish that, rather do the opposite. But that is just my opinion. Anyways, I've really enjoyed following this thread.
This is an excellent point. Just look at the top players now who decide to sit out bowl games and/or not return from injury just so they can prepare for the draft. Well, I imagine that if they are already making a lot of money for their likenesses that they would sit out their whole sophomore or junior seasons to prepare for the draft. Some folks act like if they started giving these kids some money that the kids wouldn't immediately want more money. Personally, I think they would. They already get a great deal and still think it isn't enough. I still think the onus of paying athletes should fall on the professional leagues. The NFL and NBA probably don't want to have to start their own minor leagues, but I think they should have to do so if so many think that change is needed. I'll still love college football even without the four and five star players.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree 100%. I want the pro leagues to have to start their own minor leagues because I think it will be proven that the college route offers much more than fairness. I think many kids will still prefer it, and I hope that would quiet the crowd. Of course, I could be wrong. :smile: Either way, there will probably still be those who want more and those who feel blessed to have the opportunities they have.
Thanks, everyone, for having a solid discussion with multiple view points. As someone else mentioned, only two more months!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
This is an excellent point. Just look at the top players now who decide to sit out bowl games and/or not return from injury just so they can prepare for the draft. Well, I imagine that if they are already making a lot of money for their likenesses that they would sit out their whole sophomore or junior seasons to prepare for the draft. Some folks act like if they started giving these kids some money that the kids wouldn't immediately want more money. Personally, I think they would. They already get a great deal and still think it isn't enough. I still think the onus of paying athletes should fall on the professional leagues. The NFL and NBA probably don't want to have to start their own minor leagues, but I think they should have to do so if so many think that change is needed. I'll still love college football even without the four and five star players.
IMO, a player who is able to make six figures from doing autograph sessions, endorsements etc will be in a position financially to not have to play his Junior year, sit out and begin training for the draft, also avoiding a year of injury risks. I also think the pursuit of making "more" money will distract them from the classroom and the football field.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
OR...they could all just go the Kyler Murray route and sign baseball contracts....spend the money like you stole it, and then "pay it back" after you live like a king in college for no other reason than your school found a loophole...Yeah, I'm still bitter about that...:beatdeadhorse5: on TideFans.com
IMO, a player who is able to make six figures from doing autograph sessions, endorsements etc will be in a position financially to not have to play his Junior year, sit out and begin training for the draft, also avoiding a year of injury risks. I also think the pursuit of making "more" money will distract them from the classroom and the football field.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I wish my son had grown up to be a needy, abused and used college football player. Man, he was so privileged. He had to pay his own way and now has to work for his living. Tsk, tsk.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I wish my son had grown up to be a needy, abused and used college football player. Man, he was so privileged. He had to pay his own way and now has to work for his living. Tsk, tsk.

The whole point of this is that being an elite college athlete IS like working.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.