Link: Amid New Calls to Pay Athletes, Alabama AD Has a Few Thoughts

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
People don't see the "hidden" benefits that student/athletes get that are not part of the regular student package. Tutoring, no waiting in line for books, etc.... and other benefits. When I worked at the Bookstore at FSU we had a department that just handled athletes and they had their books gathered by employees and delivered when they walked in the store. They had special tutoring services geared toward them, etc. Now they need a paycheck! SMH!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
People don't see the "hidden" benefits that student/athletes get that are not part of the regular student package. Tutoring, no waiting in line for books, etc.... and other benefits. When I worked at the Bookstore at FSU we had a department that just handled athletes and they had their books gathered by employees and delivered when they walked in the store. They had special tutoring services geared toward them, etc. Now they need a paycheck! SMH!
I think they should be allowed to make money off their name and likeness. What really annoys me is when idiots compare what they are doing now to slavery. Those people need a punch in the face.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IIRC, Alabama spends and average of over $100k/year for each football player when you include scholarships, room and board, travel, and medical (not counting coaching salaries).

I think there's room for discussion, but if sports generated the profit revenue that many seem to think there'd be no need for the Crimson Standard, etc...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
IIRC, Alabama spends and average of over $100k/year for each football player when you include scholarships, room and board, travel, and medical (not counting coaching salaries).

I think there's room for discussion, but if sports generated the profit revenue that many seem to think there'd be no need for the Crimson Standard, etc...
The gap between the "Have and Have nots" would then become the new "rage against the machine" once that can of worms has been opened. Along with how much does the LaCross player get as opposed to the Basketball player.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

That's not even considering getting into the value (and it's REAL VALUE) of media exposure through providing a platform for these players to display their talents. It would be equivalent paying for advertising space.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let me preface this by saying I understand the perceived need by the athletes and am open to having a discussion on how to pay players.

Worked with a mom of a P5 football player. The stuff the players got just from being on the team was ridiculous. Guys could easily wear team-issued apparel everyday and not have an issue. They get other benefits, too. And without going into too much detail, players are getting paid as it is.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Let me preface this by saying I understand the perceived need by the athletes and am open to having a discussion on how to pay players.

Worked with a mom of a P5 football player. The stuff the players got just from being on the team was ridiculous. Guys could easily wear team-issued apparel everyday and not have an issue. They get other benefits, too. And without going into too much detail, players are getting paid as it is.
student athletes want to now be able to capitalize on their likeness and be able to market themselves. in addition to receiving a monthly stipend and food and clothing. good or bad thats where this is headed.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
I think they should be allowed to make money off their name and likeness. What really annoys me is when idiots compare what they are doing now to slavery. Those people need a punch in the face.
If it weren't for the universities, their name and likeness wouldn't be very valuable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is not about "paying players". This is about allowing players to get paid from outside sources for their likeness and name. It is absolutely absurd that a player cannot charge $10 for an autograph without risking his eligibility. It is even more absurd that a player like Tua cannot sign marketing deals to capitalize on his name. Tua could make $MILLIONS$ right now in marketing deals if he left Alabama and sat out a year until he is eligible for the NFL Draft. Instead he will stay and play and get paid nothing.

That isn't slavery because he has a choice, but it should be illegal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it weren't for the universities, their name and likeness wouldn't be very valuable.
That is wrong in every way. Alabama did not make Tua into Tua. God did.

Tua would be just as big a name if he were playing anywhere else. Put him in a minor league for the NFL and he would be rich right now. If the NCAA doesn't figure this out, one of these other football leagues will. Then college football will no longer get the best players - only those not good enough to make it into these leagues.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
student athletes want to now be able to capitalize on their likeness and be able to market themselves. in addition to receiving a monthly stipend and food and clothing. good or bad thats where this is headed.
If this is where this is headed then the school can easily justify sending any student athlete who is making money from their likeness an "invoice" to offset the financial cost the school takes on for giving the player free access to the college's resources that enable the athlete to do that. I don't think this is a rabbit hole the athletes or anyone else involved, really want to go down.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If it weren't for the players, no one would watch, and the Universities wouldn't be as rich from all the tv revenue.

It cuts both ways. I understand this is a massive can of worms. But the can has already been opened. It's going to have to be dealt with one way or another.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If this is where this is headed then the school can easily justify sending any student athlete who is making money from their likeness an "invoice" to offset the financial cost the school takes on for giving the player free access to the college's resources that enable the athlete to do that. I don't think this is a rabbit hole the athletes or anyone else involved, really want to go down.
Pay back the school? That is funny.

The problem is in achieving "parity", as your AD was suggesting. As great as Alabama is, could they compete with schools in larger markets? Would Tua have come to Alabama if he had a chance to play at USC and make much more money in marketing deals?

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL

Tua would be just as big a name if he were playing anywhere else. Put him in a minor league for the NFL and he would be rich right now. If the NCAA doesn't figure this out, one of these other football leagues will. Then college football will no longer get the best players - only those not good enough to make it into these leagues.
Not arguing about talent, but about the marketing aspect. Millions of people did not know the name Tua before he played for a major university with televised games. You could be right though. If the universities ignore this it would create/expand a need for high school talent marketing agencies.
N

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I go back and forth on this but I support players making money in some sort of way and making money off their likeness seems like a pretty solid way of doing it. It should allow the players who are actually drawing in a lot of viewers and making money for the school to make some money without paying everyone. There are complications with it but I see some sense to it.

Sure, these guys get a ton of benefits but they bring a ton to the school and some of these guys would be making a lot more than they are getting in benefits from the school.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

That would be fine with me. I have long wished that the NFL would start a minor league so these guys who think getting all of the benefits that come with playing in college isn't enough would have a place to go play. I'll still cheer for the three star guys who play college football. You said it should be illegal. Sorry, but that is absurd. If he can leave Bama now and go make millions, he is free to do so. I wish him well. If he wants to further his education and play college football, I wish him well with that, too. These guys have great deals and benefits with their current set up. They are going to keep complaining until they kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Of course, that is just how I see it. I'm guessing that the people who are behind a lot of the complaining are the same guys who will have their hands in the pockets of these players if they start getting paid- agents and lawyers.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Pay back the school? That is funny.

The problem is in achieving "parity", as your AD was suggesting. As great as Alabama is, could they compete with schools in larger markets? Would Tua have come to Alabama if he had a chance to play at USC and make much more money in marketing deals?
It's not "funny" when your the CFO and responsible for the budget, and sitting in plain sight in front of your eyes are real expenditures, tied to real money in a real bank account that the school has to use to pay for students who are now making potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars of personal income from their likeness that school resources were used to generate. No way, as a CFO of an institution of state funds, that you don't seriously consider this.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I go back and forth on this but I support players making money in some sort of way and making money off their likeness seems like a pretty solid way of doing it. It should allow the players who are actually drawing in a lot of viewers and making money for the school to make some money without paying everyone. There are complications with it but I see some sense to it.

Sure, these guys get a ton of benefits but they bring a ton to the school and some of these guys would be making a lot more than they are getting in benefits from the school.
I'm the same way. Any time I hear an argument for one side, I quickly think of the holes in the argument.

It's not "funny" when your the CFO and responsible for the budget, and sitting in plain sight in front of your eyes are real expenditures, tied to real money in a real bank account that the school has to use to pay for students who are now making potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars of personal income from their likeness that school resources were used to generate. No way, as a CFO of an institution of state funds, that you don't seriously consider this.
If this is solely about likeness and advertisements, the money wouldn't be from the athletic department's budget. It would come from the advertiser's budget.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, should players with wealthy parents not be eligible for scholarships? I really do not understand this line of reasoning.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.