75th anniversary of D-Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was curious why the RAF would send 2018 bombers to Duisburg and only 16 to Berlin.

From Wiki:

Duisburg was a major logistical centre in the Ruhr Area and location of chemical, steel and iron industries, Duisburg was a primary target of Alliedbombers. Not only the industrial areas but also residential areas were attacked by Allied bombs. As an entry to the Ruhr, there were daily warnings of bombing raids in 1943.In the period 1939 to 1945 the Royal Air Force dropped a total of 30,025 long tons of bombs on Duisburg.[SUP][1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Duisburg_in_World_War_II[/SUP]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was curious why the RAF would send 2018 bombers to Duisburg and only 16 to Berlin.

From Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Duisburg_in_World_War_II[/SUP][/FONT]
Glad you looked that up. I had the same thought. Another small city, Pforzheim in SW Germany was bombed several time, including one night RAF raid which destroyed appx 85% of the central city and killed over 17K people. I happen to have two friends from there, one who lives in AZ in the states now and one who still lives there, so I went looking for the reason for the raid. It turned out that the reasons were, to me, pretty slim. They were known for watch-making, so it was suspected that they were involved in the making of precision instruments for the war effort...

Edit: Actually the one still resident there is a common friend of mine and Brad's...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
October 15, 1944: In Aachen, the Germans once again launch a counterattack on the US 1st Infantry Division. Although a number of heavy tanks manage to break through American lines, most of German forces are destroyed by artillery and air power. In response, US forces renew the attack with the assistance of close support from attached mortars. By midday, US troops had taken the gardening buildings, the greenhouse, and the Kurhaus at Farwick Park from the Germans, but the enemy would not budge from behind the sturdy walls of Hotel Quellenhof. Colonel Corley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_Corley) sends forward the 155-mm howitzer to blast the building and readies his reserve company to flank it when the Germans launch a quick counterattack. Many Schutzstaffel (SS) troops choose to die at their posts rather than surrender. When German troops west of Aachen attempt to relieve the siege in hastily organized counterattacks, American artillery beats them back. By the end of the day, Aachen is completely surrounded, and gradually the German defensive position shrinks to a small section of the western part of the city.

Forces of Canadian 1st Army (British 21st Army Group) continue the battle for the Scheldt estuary. To the south, the US 6th Corps, part of US 7th Army (part of US 12th Army Group), begins an offensive to the west of Epinal, while US 7th Army attacks around Bruyeres.

As part of Operation Hurricane, Allied air command continues to pound German targets, sending the US 8th Air Force to attack Cologne with 903 bombers, Monheim and Reisholz with 125 bombers, Heligoland naval base with 23 bombers - an unsuccessful attempt including two B-17 drones from Operation Aphrodite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Aphrodite). The RAF is tasked with sending 128 bombers to attack Bonn, destroying much of the town centre. RAF also sends 18 aircraft to attack Sorpe reservoir dam during the day, 44 aircraft to attack Hamburg overnight, 10 aircraft to attack Saarbrucken, Dusseldorf and Kassel overnight, and 506 aircraft to attack Wilhelmshaven overnight.

In the west of Italy, elements of US 5th Army gain ground near Livergnano and Grizzana. In the east, forces of British 8th Army also make progress. The Polish 2nd Division (part of Polish 2nd Corps) captures Gambettola.

Although Rommel has committed suicide, Reich Minister of Propaganda Goebbels announces his death is from wounds suffered in Normandy, as promised.

Pictured: An American 57mm anti-tank gun crew in action and under fire during the battle for Aachen on October 15, 1944.; Aerial view of the ruins of Aachen, October 15, 1944.; American and British troops meet at a mobile bath and laundry unit, October 15, 1944.; Left image: the Avro Lancaster releases bundles of 'Window' over the target during a special daylight raid on Duisburg. Right image: a fraction of a second later, the aircraft releases the main part of its load, a 4000lb HC "cookie" and 108 30lb "J" incendiaries over Duisburg, October 15, 1944.

1015a.jpg

1015b.jpg

1015c.jpg

1015d.jpg

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
October 15, 1944: ... American and British troops meet at a mobile bath and laundry unit, October 15, 1944.;
View attachment 4628
The Army used to have lots of strange units. I was in the 101st Airborne Division (Ft. Campbell, Kentucky). The XVIII Airborne Corps and associated corps support units were at Ft. Bragg, so Screaming Eagles did not get much support from the 1st Corps Support Command (1st COSCOM). My unit did a deployment to Ft. Bragg for the 82nd Airborne Division Field Training Exercise, so we were actually in the field at the same time and on the same installation as the 1st Corps Support Command, which included a laundry and bath unit (like the one above) and a corps bakery unit, whose job it was to bake loaves of bread for the troops.
The B Company Commander and the B Company First Sergeant had a bet that the First Sergeant could (or could not) get each man in the company a loaf of bread. The next time I drove past B Co in my jeep, I saw every infantryman in the company patrolling in the piney woods of Fort Bragg with his rifle in one hand and a loaf of bread in the other. (First Sergeant won the bet).

Nowadays, they probably just contract that kind of support.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Army used to have lots of strange units. I was in the 101st Airborne Division (Ft. Campbell, Kentucky). The XVIII Airborne Corps and associated corps support units were at Ft. Bragg, so Screaming Eagles did not get much support from the 1st Corps Support Command (1st COSCOM). My unit did a deployment to Ft. Bragg for the 82nd Airborne Division Field Training Exercise, so we were actually in the field at the same time and on the same installation as the 1st Corps Support Command, which included a laundry and bath unit (like the one above) and a corps bakery unit, whose job it was to bake loaves of bread for the troops.
The B Company Commander and the B Company First Sergeant had a bet that the First Sergeant could (or could not) get each man in the company a loaf of bread. The next time I drove past B Co in my jeep, I saw every infantryman in the company patrolling in the piney woods of Fort Bragg with his rifle in one hand and a loaf of bread in the other. (First Sergeant won the bet).

Nowadays, they probably just contract that kind of support.
I'm sure it's a CLIN in the SOW of a government contract... :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
October 15, 1944: In Aachen, the Germans once again launch a counterattack on the US 1st Infantry Division. Although a number of heavy tanks manage to break through American lines, most of German forces are destroyed by artillery and air power. In response, US forces renew the attack with the assistance of close support from attached mortars. By midday, US troops had taken the gardening buildings, the greenhouse, and the Kurhaus at Farwick Park from the Germans, but the enemy would not budge from behind the sturdy walls of Hotel Quellenhof.
City fighting takes tons of three things: time, ammo and casualties.
Colonel Corley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_Corley) sends forward the 155-mm howitzer to blast the building and readies his reserve company to flank it when the Germans launch a quick counterattack.
One of the things the Wehrmacht was superb at was launching hasty counterattacks when they lost a position.
Those who have not seized an objective, don't know just how confused things are. Who has become casualties? Who has ammo? How much? If one man has a ton of ammo because he did not fire much, but the guy next to him has none, then they will have to cross-level. Who has what defensive position and what are his left and right limits? If I think Bob has the next position to my right, but Bob is now a casualty receiving first aid 100 meters to the rear, then a gap has appeared in the unit that a German counterattack will exploit.
Seizing an objective is a chaotic affair and takes seasoned NCOs to get things sorted out quickly because by this time in the war, All American infantry knew that the Germans would be counterattacking as soon as they could.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
October 16, 1944: As troops of the US 19th and 8th Corps (elements of US 1st Army) link up to the east of the city, the encirclement of Aachen is now complete. The 3rd Panzergrenadier Division, though weakened already, is sent out to probe US 16th Infantry’s sector, but are repeatedly pushed back, losing one-third of their combat strength in just two days. Fighting has cost the American XIX Corps over 400 dead and 2,000 wounded so far, with 72% of those from the 30th Infantry Division. The Germans have not fared any better, as over 630 of their soldiers have been killed and 4,400 wounded; another 600 have been lost in the 3rd Panzergrenadier Division's counterattacks on the US 16th Infantry Division.

Farther south of Aachen, the US 6th Corps (part of US 7th Army) encounters heavy German resistance around Bruyeres on the Moselle River. To the south, the French 1st Army begins new attacks eastward from the Moselotte toward the Vosges Mountains. Canadian 1st Army continues attacking Breskens pocket and also captures Woendrecht, cutting off German defenses in South Beveland and on Walcheren British 2nd Army reaches outskirts of Venray.

On the Eastern Front, Soviet units enter German territory as Goldap, East Prussia is captured. In Yugoslavia, Soviet forces capture Nis after being evacuated by German forces. Bulgarian and Yugoslavian forces are assisting Soviet forces. The Soviet 6th Guards Army and 51st Army open first offensive against German Courland pocket. The Soviet 3rd Byelorussian Front opens offensive against 3rd Panzer Army in Gumbinnen-Konigsberg sector. Soviet 2nd Ukrainian Front attacks toward Debrecen and Soviet 3rd Ukrainian Front and Tito's partisans attack Belgrade.

In Italy, the US 5th Army, with Bologna as the ultimate objective, continues attacking around Monterumici, Lucca, Casalino, Monte Belmonte, Monte della Vigna, Monterenzio, and Monte delle Tombe. British 8th Army captures Monte Romano, Monte Reale, and Bulgarno and pushes across the Savio and the Pisciatello. Overhead, US 12th Air Force aircraft provide support to ground forces, especially around Monte Belmonte.

Heinrich Himmler visits Nürnberg, Germany to personally inspect the repairs to the bunker which housed the Imperial Regalia of the Holy Roman Empire.

Pictured: Sappers of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division preparing to sweep for mines along the border between Belgium and the Netherlands, October 16, 1944.; US troops going door-to-door clearing German defenders in Aachen, October 16, 1944.; American GI runs past the burning remains of a building in Aachen, October 16, 1944.; German Panzer VI (Tiger II) controlling a street in Budapest. October 16, 1944.

1016a.jpg

1016b.jpg

1016c.jpg

1016d.jpg

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
October 17, 1944: It’s Tuesday - today is D+133, marking 19 weeks since the D-Day Invasion at Normandy and the beginning of the liberation of Europe.

In Aachen, 16th Infantry slows to await reinforcements, though some headway is gained as the Germans continue to fall back to the center of the city. General Collins decides that American strength in Aachen should increase in a ratio greater than the decrease in German strength, so he calls to reinforce the two battalions of the 26th Infantry with the two battalions of tanks and armored infantry of the 3d Armored Division that had been alerted to counterattack any penetration near Eilendorf but so far has not been needed. Labeled Task Force Hogan, these two units are to join the fight on the north flank of Colonel Corley’s battalion against Lousberg. The armor is also ordered to occupy the village of Laurensberg, two miles northwest of Aachen, key to that part of the West Wall which remnants of the 49th Division still hold north and northwest of the city. As an additional reinforcement, General Collins attaches to the 1st Division a battalion of the 110th Infantry, brought north from Camp d’Elsenborn in the V Corps sector where the 28th Division is holding a relatively inactive front. General Huebner wants to this battalion only in a defensive role, to cover a growing gap between Colonel Daniel’s battalion of the 26th Infantry in Aachen and the 1106th Engineers south of the city.

Troops of the British 2nd Army capture Venray in attacks toward Venlo. To the south, the US 7th Army continues its offensive around Luneville and Bruyeres.

Over Germany, US 8th Air Force attacks Cologne with 1,248 bombers (four lost) supported by 774 fighters (one lost).

On the eastern front, the Soviet offensive against German Courland pocket continues. The Soviet 3rd Belorussian Front attacks Suwalki, Tilsit, and Goldap while the Soviet 2nd Ukrainian Front attacks toward Debrecen and the Soviet 3rd Ukrainian Front and Tito's partisans assault Belgrade.

In western Italy, the US 5th Army attacking around Monte Caula, Monterumici, Lucca, Livergnano, Monte Belmonte, Monte della Vigna, Monterenzio, Monte Cuccoli, Monte Pianoreno, and Monte Ceco. US 2nd Corps (part of US 5th Army) continues attacks toward Bologna. To the east, the British 8th Army attacking toward Galeata, Acquarola, and Celincordia while the Polish 2nd Corps (as part of British 8th Army) begins attacks from south of Forli.

In Liberated France, the French Ministry of War and the National Council for the Resistance reach agreement on the process by which resistance forces, FFI, will be integrated into the regular army.

Pictured: Major Jacques Ostiguy of Le Régiment de Maisonneuve, who has just been decorated with the Distinguished Service Order, Ossendrecht, The Netherlands, October 17, 1944.; Sherman tank and M10 tank destroyer on the streets of Aaachen, October 17, 1944.; GIs from the 1st Infantry Division battle through central Aachen, October 17, 1944.; Pfc. Arlon L. Adams, 119th Inf. Reg., of Temperance, Mich. awaits German counterattacks in his foxhole in the vicinity of Bardenberg and Wurselen, Germany, October 17, 1944. Pfc. Adams was later KIA on February 24, 1945 in the Roer River assault.

1017a.jpg

1017b.jpg

1017c.jpg

1017d.jpg

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Pfc. Arlon L. Adams (pictured above) received the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart commendations and is buried at the Netherlands American Cemetery.

ArlonAdams2.jpg

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
A tank has three main characteristics: speed, protection and firepower. A tank in a city has lost two of the three.
All it takes is a RPG type weapon above the tank and good bye tank. Any grunt on a roof top could take one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
October 18, 1944: As the Battle of Aachen continues, the Germans forces have fallen back to the center of the city. The 3rd Battalion of the 26th Infantry Regiment attacks the Hotel Quellenhof - one of the last areas of resistance in the city. American tanks and self-propelled guns fire on the hotel, used by the Germans as the city's defense headquarters, at point blank range. Later that night, 300 soldiers of the 1st SS Battalion are able to reinforce the hotel and stop several attacks on the building. A furious German counterattack manages to overrun a number of American infantry positions outside of the hotel, and temporarily releases pressure on the Quellenhof before being beaten down by concerted American mortar fire. Due to this fierce resistance, US forces decide to barrage remaining German strongpoints with 155-millimeter guns. To assist the 1st Infantry Division, a battalion of the 110th Infantry Regiment, US 28th Infantry Division, is moved up from the V Corps sector to close a gap between forward 26th Infantry Regiment elements within the city.

Allied troops captured Venray, the Netherlands.

Over Germany, US 8th Air Force attacks Cologne with 139 bombers, Leverkusen with 39 bombers, and Kassel with 300 bombers. RAF Bomber Command sends 128 aircraft to attack Bonn during the day with city center largely destroyed, sends 19 aircraft to attack Hannover overnight, sends 18 aircraft to attack Mannheim overnight, and sends 17 aircraft to attack Dusseldorf, Pforzheim, and Wiesbaden overnight. RAF Bomber Command’s air raid on Bonn, Germany, utilizes H2S (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2S_(radar)) radar and Gee-H (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee-H_(navigation)) to aid in targeting, with devastating effect.

On the eastern front, the Soviet 1st Shock Army captures Kremeny, but offensive against German Courland pocket falters. The Soviet 3rd Belorussian Front continues attacking into East Prussia against strong resistance. Soviet 2nd Ukrainian Front attacks Debrecen and Soviet 3rd Ukrainian Front and Tito's partisans attacking Belgrade. German Army Group F continues withdrawing from the Balkans.

In Italy, British 8th Army captures Galeata, Aquarola, Celincordia, and Ponte della Pietra and the US 5th Army continues attacking around Monte della Vigna, Monte Belmonte, Monte la Pieve, and Monte Pianoreno. The US 12th Air Force provides support to ground forces and attacks targets around Bologna, Modena, Padua, and Castel San Pietro dell'Emilia.

In Germany, all able-bodied males between the ages of 16 and 60 are conscripted into the Volkssturm (the home defense force) by order of Hitler. Himmler calls on the Volkssturm to “fight like werewolves” against impending invasion.

Erwin Rommel is given a state funeral.

Pictured: A team of American G.'s firing 105 mm shells at Germans in support of an infantry attack somewhere in France, October 18, 1944.; The destroyed Grand Hotel Quellenhof, October 18, 1944.; Tanks and infantry clearing a street in Aachen, October 18, 1944.; Funeral procession of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, Ulm, Germany, October 18, 1944.

1018a.jpg

1018b.jpg

1018c.jpg

1018d.jpg

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
For the life of me I can't locate Kremeny. I've Googled Kremeny Germany, Kremeny Prussia, Kremeny Estonia, Kremeny Lithuania, and Kremeny Courland. I've looked at situation maps and a map of the Courland peninsula.

My best guess is the Russians blew it of the face of the earth.

In the picture of Rommel's funeral I'm surprised more people are not visible. It's all uniformed soldiers or party members. One guy is even walking away from the hearse.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For the life of me I can't locate Kremeny. I've Googled Kremeny Germany, Kremeny Prussia, Kremeny Estonia, Kremeny Lithuania, and Kremeny Courland. I've looked at situation maps and a map of the Courland peninsula.

My best guess is the Russians blew it of the face of the earth.
It was a small town in Byelorussia.

"Statistically, the Byelorussian SSR was the hardest-hit Soviet republic in World War II; it remained in Nazi hands until 1944. During that time, Germany destroyed 209 out of 290 cities in the republic, 85% of the republic's industry, and more than one million buildings. The Nazi Generalplan Ost called for the extermination, expulsion or enslavement of most or all Belarusians for the purpose of providing more living space in the East for Germans."

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It was a small town in Byelorussia.

"Statistically, the Byelorussian SSR was the hardest-hit Soviet republic in World War II; it remained in Nazi hands until 1944. During that time, Germany destroyed 209 out of 290 cities in the republic, 85% of the republic's industry, and more than one million buildings. The Nazi Generalplan Ost called for the extermination, expulsion or enslavement of most or all Belarusians for the purpose of providing more living space in the East for Germans."
From the context ("On the eastern front, the Soviet 1st Shock Army captures Kremeny, but offensive against German Courland pocket falters."), it sounds like Kremeny was near the front in Courland.
Here is the history of the 1st Shock Army.
From 1942 through 1944, the army took part in many attacks such as the Leningrad–Novgorod, Pskov-Ostrov, Tartu, and Riga offensives. Fighting through the Baltic States, the 1st Shock Army finished the war as part of the Courland Group of Forces that had trapped the German Army Group Kurland in the northern reaches of Latvia.
On the other hand, I found an obituary for a Belarusian lady who died in Connecticut.
Halina “Bobby” Gubinski, 94, passed away on Jan. 9, 2018, after suffering a stroke on New Year’s Eve. Born in Kremeny, Belarus on April 1, 1923, the daughter of Jan and Maria Lipski

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Halina “Bobby” Gubinski, 94, passed away on Jan. 9, 2018, after suffering a stroke on New Year’s Eve. Born in Kremeny, Belarus on April 1, 1923, the daughter of Jan and Maria Lipski
My father's birthday was also April 1, 1923. It was an Easter Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.