Bama softball beats OU in game 1.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Great season. Roll Tide Roll.
We had to fight our way in, and we gave it our best.
We are proud of you.

IMO: We were ranked too low. That was asking us to do it the hard way.

Looks like next years team is gonna be another team that could go all the way.
Hold your heads up high. You were great.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Alabama played the #1 seed 3 times in 4 days (twice yesterday) that is a tall order for any team. I do agree a #8 seed was ridiculous considering we beat Florida the #5 seed, 15-3.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree with the seeding (you deserved better, and everyone knew it), but the chance to beat the Sooners (or UCLA) in their first game was actually an opportunity to get out to a huge jump start in the tournament. Win that game and Alabama cruises to the games on Sunday and are well rested when you have to face them a second time.

Unfortunately you lost that game. That put you in the losers bracket and that put too much pressure on a team with little experienced depth. But having to play them in the first game was actually a help, not a hindrance, in terms of spreading out the games against the toughest opponents. Again, win that game and you are almost certainly still alive.
Yes there is always a bright side. It's just the chance of hitting the losers bracket right off are greater, and we should have been afforded the luxury of avoiding that. We should have faced them for three games in the championship round. Yes, we probably still lose the series 2-1 as we essentially did in reality, but it would have been nicer to have made the final.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing I never got was Florida getting the 5 seed when they essentially ended up beating us 1 time in 5 tries - most of the Bama wins not even close - but it was in the finals of single elimination SEC tournament. Ideally we should've been one of the top 4 seeds in the NCAA tournament but I'd settle for at least having the seed that Florida got.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The thing I never got was Florida getting the 5 seed when they essentially ended up beating us 1 time in 5 tries - most of the Bama wins not even close - but it was in the finals of single elimination SEC tournament. Ideally we should've been one of the top 4 seeds in the NCAA tournament but I'd settle for at least having the seed that Florida got.
Basically this committee decided to go with wins over top 25 ( Florida, Minnesota, and Arizona had more) instead of top 10 ( which Alabama has more than every team but UCLA) It’s one of the reasons I don’t trust the CFP committee because a committee can be as strict and arbitrary as they want to be.

But Alabama was hosed in these rankings. I don’t think Florida would’ve survived a Super Regional with Texas, nor am I00% sure they could’ve survived a Regional with Arizona St.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Basically this committee decided to go with wins over top 25 ( Florida, Minnesota, and Arizona had more) instead of top 10 ( which Alabama has more than every team but UCLA) It’s one of the reasons I don’t trust the CFP committee because a committee can be as strict and arbitrary as they want to be.

But Alabama was hosed in these rankings. I don’t think Florida would’ve survived a Super Regional with Texas, nor am I00% sure they could’ve survived a Regional with Arizona St.
I pretty much hate committees of any kind, but especially college sports postseason tournament committees.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Alabama played the #1 seed 3 times in 4 days (twice yesterday) that is a tall order for any team. I do agree a #8 seed was ridiculous considering we beat Florida the #5 seed, 15-3.
Yep, and lost the first one by 1, won the second one by 1 and the third...man, adrenaline will take you only so far and our Freshman Ace was worn out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

If Bama had given Florida the 15-3 shellacking in the conference tournament rather than OKC, the seedlings would have been what they should have been in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Bama had given Florida the 15-3 shellacking in the conference tournament rather than OKC, the seedlings would have been what they should have been in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idk. Minnesota won absolutely nothing and still got the 7th seed even with 2 losses to Bama. I think to say we would’ve been #5 had we beaten Florida is giving the committee too much credit. That one game at the end should have never mattered in terms of seeding from the get go. Florida should’ve only been rewarded with a 6-10 spot, and not a top 5 spot for winning that game.

I think had we won that game then it would’ve looked like this:

1 OU
2. UCLA
3. Washington
4. FSU
5. Arizona
6. Minnesota
7. Alabama
8. Texas

Alabama should’ve been 4th or 5th but no worse than 6th because I can get the PAC 12 is the best conference and FSU was the defending champions, but putting Minnesota and Florida above Bama was a travesty. I think the committee wanted to reward Walton for something and to try to pass Bama off as a fraud because our nonconference schedule wasn’t as impressive as just about everyone in the SEC.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States

They penalized us for playing the 59th toughest schedule in the nation. Murph scheduled it that way because of our young staff. We played a lot if top 10 teams but we played even more botton feeders. At the end of the season , we were ranked #8 in RPI. Florida was #6 basically because of thier schedule. Next year look for us to be 1, 2 or 3.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
UCLA beat OU 16-3 today with 4 homerun balls in the best of three championship. Our girls could barely score three runs against this team. The bruins look like the best team—by far.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They penalized us for playing the 59th toughest schedule in the nation. Murph scheduled it that way because of our young staff. we played a lot if top 10 teams but we nplayed even more botton feeders. At the end of the season , we were ranked #8 in RPI. Florida was #6 basically because of thier schedule. Next year look for us to be 1, 2 or 3.
Yes but at some point wins head to head and series need to matter. Alabama lost 2 series in the SEC, Florida lost 5 including getting swept at home by Bama. Basically Florida was rewarded for being throttled by UCLA and Bama was punished for 1 game vs Florida.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Idk. Minnesota won absolutely nothing and still got the 7th seed even with 2 losses to Bama. I think to say we would’ve been #5 had we beaten Florida is giving the committee too much credit. That one game at the end should have never mattered in terms of seeding from the get go. Florida should’ve only been rewarded with a 6-10 spot, and not a top 5 spot for winning that game.

I think had we won that game then it would’ve looked like this:

1 OU
2. UCLA
3. Washington
4. FSU
5. Arizona
6. Minnesota
7. Alabama
8. Texas

Alabama should’ve been 4th or 5th but no worse than 6th because I can get the PAC 12 is the best conference and FSU was the defending champions, but putting Minnesota and Florida above Bama was a travesty. I think the committee wanted to reward Walton for something and to try to pass Bama off as a fraud because our nonconference schedule wasn’t as impressive as just about everyone in the SEC.
Wasn't it said (or at least implied) after the seedings were announced the SEC championship game decided Florida's seeding? Was extremely stupid in the first place for the reasons you mention, but I suspect a big win by Bama like we saw Saturday would have corrected some of the wrongdoing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wasn't it said (or at least implied) after the seedings were announced the SEC championship game decided Florida's seeding? Was extremely stupid in the first place for the reasons you mention, but I suspect a big win by Bama like we saw Saturday would have corrected some of the wrongdoing.
I believe that was more of Cecil’s opinion rather than gospel truth. The fact that Minnesota was ahead of Alabama and Texas makes me think even with a good win over Florida we were getting screwed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes but at some point wins head to head and series need to matter. Alabama lost 2 series in the SEC, Florida lost 5 including getting swept at home by Bama. Basically Florida was rewarded for being throttled by UCLA and Bama was punished for 1 game vs Florida.
That's what I hate about these committees. They get completely lost in the weeds. As Herm Edwards said, "you play to win the game." At the end of the day, that should matter most - winning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's what I hate about these committees. They get completely lost in the weeds. As Herm Edwards said, "you play to win the game." At the end of the day, that should matter most - winning.
Strength of schedule has to matter. Alabama had more wins than any other team in softball, but they had played a weaker schedule. I think that the only problem is that Alabama beat a few of the teams ranked higher than them.

IMO, after the initial rankings the committee should have then looked at head to head and made adjustments. Unlike college football, college softball powerhouses play each other all over the country because they play more games.

IMO, based on every factor including head to head, Alabama should have been ranked 6th going into the tournament (ahead of Florida and MN). IMO, putting them ahead of the PAC teams, OU or FSU would have been a bad move. They played tougher schedules and still had great winning percentages.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Strength of schedule has to matter. Alabama had more wins than any other team in softball, but they had played a weaker schedule. I think that the only problem is that Alabama beat a few of the teams ranked higher than them.

IMO, after the initial rankings the committee should have then looked at head to head and made adjustments. Unlike college football, college softball powerhouses play each other all over the country because they play more games.

IMO, based on every factor including head to head, Alabama should have been ranked 6th going into the tournament (ahead of Florida and MN). IMO, putting them ahead of the PAC teams, OU or FSU would have been a bad move. They played tougher schedules and still had great winning percentages.
Bama should have been 5 seed at worse which should have pushed the gators to 6, Arizona to 7 and Minnesota to 8.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bama should have been 5 seed at worse which should have pushed the gators to 6, Arizona to 7 and Minnesota to 8.
5th or 6th - either way, they were not obviously a top 3-4 team going into the playoffs. They were obviously not the 8th best team. But it didn't hurt Alabama, so I really don't see the point in being upset about their rank. If anything, their #8 ranking provided them with more fire.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.