Bama softball beats OU in game 1.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Bama softball just beat OU in a must win game. About to start Game 2. Winner plays UCLA in championship.

Follow along on the TideFans Women’s Sports board!

Go Bama!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Don’t know why Coach Murphy didn’t start Fouts in game 2, she has the hot hand!

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Unfortunately, the Tide ran out of steam in the 2nd game. They just could not seem to up their energy level for the second game as I think they used it up in the first one. Nonetheless, great season ladies and I'm certainly looking forward to next season.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What you saw in the three games with Oklahoma was probably what should have been the final tonight. There is absolutely no way Bama should have been the 8th seed. At the very worst they should have been the 5th seed (instead of the Gators).
Hard to believe that UCLA will play the Sooners any better than we did. If they do, it is probably only because Bama took some of the starch out of them.

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
Agree that Bama ran out of steam. It was a long weekend and long late night of playing on Saturday. I was running out of stream just watching (if a slug can run out of steam).
For what it's worth Fouts in HS playoffs had once thrown 450 pitches (four games) in a day and that after pitching the night before. I think Murphy made the right call though since Fouts has had the (over)usage injury. I would rather keep her around for the long haul.
I expect to be back next year. This was a youngish team.
Hats off to the seniors for being such a selfless and classy, but scrappy bunch who have led their team and represented their school in such an admirable fashion.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Agree that Bama ran out of steam. It was a long weekend and long late night of playing on Saturday. I was running out of stream just watching (if a slug can run out of steam).
For what it's worth Fouts in HS playoffs had once thrown 450 pitches (four games) in a day and that after pitching the night before. I think Murphy made the right call though since Fouts has had the (over)usage injury. I would rather keep her around for the long haul.
I expect to be back next year. This was a youngish team.
Hats off to the seniors for being such a selfless and classy, but scrappy bunch who have led their team and represented their school in such an admirable fashion.
Agree on all counts. Fouts already has an over-use injury, so you just can't ask her to throw a third time in two days. Not fair to her or next year's team (more on that in a minute).

I was a bit surprised we didn't pitch Cornell in the last game...she was the SEC pitcher of the year. Mrs. Basket Case and I have been out of town for about three weeks, so I'm wondering: Was there a reason for that? An injury I might not have heard about?

As for next year, we're loaded. There was only one senior who was a major contributor, Reagan Dykes. She has played the Catcher position for 4 years, and will be missed, but that's college softball. The rest of the major production returns intact. Fouts is on her way to becoming a superstar, and the SEC Pitcher of the Year (Cornell) returns for her senior season.

Hope it doesn't jinx the team, but Mrs. Basket Case and I are thinking of making reservations now for next year's tournament in OKC.

And as another poster noted, we got jobbed in the seeding. Oklahoma deserved #1 seed, but there's no way we should have been playing them the first day. That loss put us in the position of having to win four games in two days, two of which were against Oklahoma again. We played five games, three of which were against the number 1 seed, and just ran out of gas, physically and emotionally.

We won the regular season SEC title. Won the SEC Tournament title. Played and beat more ranked teams than anybody else, including a bunch of Top-10 teams. No way that resume should be the #8 seed. If we have a different seed, we're not playing #1 three times, except maybe in the finals.

We'll never know how a seeding more reflective of the regular-season performance would have turned out. OU has a great team, and they might have beaten us on a level playing ground anyway. But playing us on the back end of a physically and mentally draining 4-game / 2-day stretch, essentially at their home, was a huge advantage for them, and the direct result of a major mis-calculation by the seeding committee.

On to next year. I expect to be back with the best team we've ever had.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Based on what I have seen in the playoffs, Alabama ended up about where they should have. IMO, Alabama has the 3rd or 4th best team in the country. That is good enough to win a championship, but it didn't work out.

Really enjoyed seeing Fouts spin the ball in the games in which she pitched. These girls should be very proud. A very young team played like veterans. They didn't crumble under the bright lights. They just lost to a deeper and more experienced team.

Congratulations on a great season!

:cheers2:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Softball apparently has the absolute laziest and most ill informed tournament seeding committee in the entire ncaa. Alabama a #8 seed, particularly in favor of Florida as a #5, was the most egregious thing I've seen in a while when it comes to the seeding of these championship tournaments.

It's as if nothing matters but the conference tournament. Alabama was probably a top 4 team all along, and got jobbed royally by having to face OU right off the bat (pun intended).

Oh well, they fought hard and finished with nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure they left everything they had out on that field. We'll get 'em next year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Softball apparently has the absolute laziest and most ill informed tournament seeding committee in the entire ncaa. Alabama a #8 seed, particularly in favor of Florida as a #5, was the most egregious thing I've seen in a while when it comes to the seeding of these championship tournaments.

It's as if nothing matters but the conference tournament. Alabama was probably a top 4 team all along, and got jobbed royally by having to face OU right off the bat (pun intended).

Oh well, they fought hard and finished with nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure they left everything they had out on that field. We'll get 'em next year.
I agree with the seeding (you deserved better, and everyone knew it), but the chance to beat the Sooners (or UCLA) in their first game was actually an opportunity to get out to a huge jump start in the tournament. Win that game and Alabama cruises to the games on Sunday and are well rested when you have to face them a second time.

Unfortunately you lost that game. That put you in the losers bracket and that put too much pressure on a team with little experienced depth. But having to play them in the first game was actually a help, not a hindrance, in terms of spreading out the games against the toughest opponents. Again, win that game and you are almost certainly still alive.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Don’t know why Coach Murphy didn’t start Fouts in game 2, she has the hot hand!
Three games in one day is just to much on a young ladies arm. She had pitched around 270 in the first two games.

Very proud of the girls on their 60-win season. Hopefully they can bring it home next year!

How many starters were Seniors?

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I agree with the seeding (you deserved better, and everyone knew it), but the chance to beat the Sooners (or UCLA) in their first game was actually an opportunity to get out to a huge jump start in the tournament. Win that game and Alabama cruises to the games on Sunday and are well rested when you have to face them a second time.

Unfortunately you lost that game. That put you in the losers bracket and that put too much pressure on a team with little experienced depth. But having to play them in the first game was actually a help, not a hindrance, in terms of spreading out the games against the toughest opponents. Again, win that game and you are almost certainly still alive.
I was thinking about this yesterday watching the games and I agree with you. It was going to be tough to beat Oklahoma twice in one day so the best chance was to beat them in the first and second game. You just knew at some point all those big bats were going to come to life and they certainly did. Our bats struggled against them every game but that's what happens when you face that type of pitching.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I forgot to give a Beth Mowins alert in the first post ;)

Man, me listening to her is akin to fingers on a chalkboard... especially in the loss.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ain't bad finishing as one of the last four teams remaining when folks were saying they'd finish 8th in the SEC before the season.

Young team too. Ought to be better next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.