Any audiophiles here? What's your favorite setup?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tell me about your gear, speakers, acoustics, musical choices, etc.

I get paid to listen during the day but still love listening after that...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m a gear head when it comes to guitars and amps but for listening to music I don’t have any high end gear except a set of Westone ear buds that I think are killer. I wear them when the top is down on my convertible or when mowing. They kill all extraneous noise and for my ear sound killer.

I listen to rock, bluegrass, and jazz. These are the same styles of music I enjoy playing.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I love music with a passion and not a high end kind of guy but BOSE speakers impress me very much for the money. I listen thru bluetooth for the sound. Ok is using bluetooth as good a sound as a plugin?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I’m not a Bose fan at all and I use to own an entire Bose 5.1 system. I fell for there sales gimmicks at a Bose store and bought it before I new much. Once I started researching home theater systems, I realized my mistake. Bose are way, way overpriced and they use cheap materials in their speakers. You can get speakers that sound twice as good for half the price, which is what I eventually did.

I don’t consider myself and audiophile but I am a Home Theater nut. I love listen to my soundtrack and scores collection but my passion is movies. While I don’t have a high end HT system, I do think I have built a quality sound system that most people would think sounds really good. I’m one of those nuts that owns an SPL meter and constantly checks the calibration of my HT system.

My front speaker are a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors v3 bookshelf speaker, center channel is a Paradigm CC-170 and rear speakers are a pair of Paradigm ADP-170. My subwoofer is a SVS PB-10. I recently bought a new receiver, a Denon AVR-S930H. Honestly, it doesn’t sound quite as good as my old Denon AVR-2808ci but, I needed more HDMI inputs and 4K HDR/Dolby Vision support. My new Denon also support Dolby Atmos but, I still haven’t purchase any height speakers.

I’m happy with my system and I think it sounds great when watching movies. It may not hold up to an audiophile’s ear but, my family enjoys it.

Just wish my wife would let me crank the volume up more often. She just doesn’t understand that movies are suppose to be loud! I’ve only take the volume up to reference once on this new Denon. My wife was gone and I decided to show the kids what reference sounded like. Played the first few minutes of Star Wars at that level. They all thought it was too loud, I thought it was great. While my speakers can technically handle reference, their life would probably be shortened if I did that on a regular basis. I actually keep my AVR volume limit set to -10db just to protect the speakers some in case the kids accidentally turned them up too much.

Sorry for the rant, I could go on for hours about home theaters.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Music addict here.

Energy RVS left, right, and center with a Carver Sunfire woofer. Infinity Reference 2000s for rear. Denon DCM 420 cd changer, and a Denon turntable with an AT8008 cartridge. Harman Kardon 5.1 recvr and cassette deck. Sony cd recorder.
Audioquest cabling.

It is good for home theater, but i reeeeally like it in two channel for music.

This lil' hifi images like a female dog :wink: . . . lots of back to front definition.

Rock, jazz, country, classical . . . . no opera.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
is using bluetooth as good a sound as a plugin?
Bluetooth is a compromise as the specs only allow for lossy formats (MP3, etc). If it sounds good to you, then roll with it - enjoying the music is the most important thing. But if you have the room, equipment, and most importantly, the ears, you'll hear an improvement by playing back CDs or vinyl records, for example.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Bluetooth is a compromise as the specs only allow for lossy formats (MP3, etc). If it sounds good to you, then roll with it - enjoying the music is the most important thing. But if you have the room, equipment, and most importantly, the ears, you'll hear an improvement by playing back CDs or vinyl records, for example.
Thanks, CA. Long story short, I have a wired setup in my home, with speakers in four different areas. The previous owner put it in about 10 years ago. But now, I get loss of signal and volume in some peripheral speakers, and one speaker is out altogether. It's clear I need to spend some money before it gets worse.

Replacing the peripherals with wireless would sure be easier. Are there any wireless technologies, suitable for home / consumer use, other than Bluetooth? I enjoy good sound, but would not put myself in the audiophile category. If I have a home genre, it would probably be Americana, but I like all kinds of music -- Nirvana to the Decemberists, to Brandi Carlile and Sturgill Simpson.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Thanks, CA. Long story short, I have a wired setup in my home, with speakers in four different areas. The previous owner put it in about 10 years ago. But now, I get loss of signal and volume in some peripheral speakers, and one speaker is out altogether. It's clear I need to spend some money before it gets worse.

Replacing the peripherals with wireless would sure be easier. Are there any wireless technologies, suitable for home / consumer use, other than Bluetooth? I enjoy good sound, but would not put myself in the audiophile category. If I have a home genre, it would probably be Americana, but I like all kinds of music -- Nirvana to the Decemberists, to Brandi Carlile and Sturgill Simpson.
It's unlikely that the speaker that is not working is broken. It's probably the connection that is failing or a potentiometer that is oxidized. I have speakers in the ceiling of my 100 year old dental office that have both issues. If there is a potentiometer (volume knob) on the speaker, spray it with contact cleaner and spin the knob to remove the oxidation. If it's a connection, you just need to see where the speaker wire is connected to the main feed and clean the connection.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My outfit is ancient. I have a Mitsubishi preamp and power amp, which drives two suspended Bose 901 speakers. A separate Yamaha power amp drives and middle channel on a third 901 on a pedestal, backed up to a room divider. I had an old Dual for years but I recently bought an Audio-Technica ATLP-120, mainly for its USB recording capability, so I can digitize a bunch of old vinyl. Replaced the stylus immediately...

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
My outfit is ancient. I have a Mitsubishi preamp and power amp, which drives two suspended Bose 901 speakers. A separate Yamaha power amp drives and middle channel on a third 901 on a pedestal, backed up to a room divider. I had an old Dual for years but I recently bought an Audio-Technica ATLP-120, mainly for its USB recording capability, so I can digitize a bunch of old vinyl. Replaced the stylus immediately...
three 901s in the same room is intriguing . .. . all run through the same active EQ?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
three 901s in the same room is intriguing . .. . all run through the same active EQ?
I had a good friend come listen once. Well, come to think of it, their power was out in the snow, down in Cove Creek, so they'd had to come move in with us. He listened and said that he preferred his big, ported JBLs. I just told him he'd gotten used to distorted sound... :D

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have a pretty amazing reproduction system in the studio, but I also have a couple of little audio systems at the house. This one is my current favorite:

64430755_10157144288467604_3065587410654986240_n.jpg

It's a Pro-Ject Carbon turntable (with Ortofon Red2 cartridge) feeding a Creek OBH-8 phono preamplifier. I also have an iPad 3 that is connected to our digital music library for streaming audio. Both sources feed a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 tube preamplifier, which in turn drives an old Dynamo ST70 tube amp. Some extra B&W Nautilus speakers I had on hand are in use with this system and it sounds fantastic. Love listening to tunes here in the kitchen while cooking, scanning the laptop, etc.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.