Question: Starting Offensive Lineup

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I hope that Tua doesn't play more conservatively, unless you mean more patiently. You need him to sling the rock into tight windows, and throw receivers open. You just need him to move on to the next progression quickly if the home run isn't there.
I think if it's a battle of wills -- Saban wins.

The goal is to win the Championship and if he feels the Defense is capable of doing it's thing -- he may get more conservative. Trust me, I'd prefer the track meet we had last year -- but I'm not 100% sold he won't revert back to his previous approach.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think if it's a battle of wills -- Saban wins.

The goal is to win the Championship and if he feels the Defense is capable of doing it's thing -- he may get more conservative. Trust me, I'd prefer the track meet we had last year -- but I'm not 100% sold he won't revert back to his previous approach.
We will run the ball more but it will be in certain situations (ex: run ball in the 3rd/4th qtr to run clock when we are up big). I think Saban is much too smart to get too conservative with a once in a generation QB and set of WR's.

We had too many 3rd/4th short yardage situations last year where we failed to make a first down on run plays and our defense was too soft and this is why Saban is saying we need to return to the Alabama Way IMO.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I hope that Tua doesn't play more conservatively, unless you mean more patiently. You need him to sling the rock into tight windows, and throw receivers open. You just need him to move on to the next progression quickly if the home run isn't there.
Agree. However, when there is no throw, hope he slings it out to fight another play. I don't want him to suffer the injuries he got last season because of hanging on to the rock too long.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Agree. However, when there is no throw, hope he slings it out to fight another play. I don't want him to suffer the injuries he got last season because of hanging on to the rock too long.
Personally I`d be happy with, " 1st read...not there...2nd read...not there...safety valve...not there. Catch, cheerleaders! " Every time. Well, unless it`s wide open green grass to the end zone, I suppose.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think he'll keep doing that. I think the biggest difference will be that Sark uses a lot of quick throws so we'll probably see more of those.
Like it, simply get the ball in the hands of our many, many playmakers (including RBs) in the open field and watch them take it to the house. Accurate, short passes and save the long ball until least expected. No need in complicated or long developing routes just get the ball out...even to the cheerleaders if the D beats the play presnap. With the weapons manning the trenches, in the backfield, out wide and Tua directing the attack....man.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Personally I`d be happy with, " 1st read...not there...2nd read...not there...safety valve...not there. Catch, cheerleaders! " Every time. Well, unless it`s wide open green grass to the end zone, I suppose.
I’d rather him AJ for about 7 yards and get out of bounds. McCarron was the master at moving the offense forward almost every play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We will run the ball more but it will be in certain situations (ex: run ball in the 3rd/4th qtr to run clock when we are up big). I think Saban is much too smart to get too conservative with a once in a generation QB and set of WR's.

We had too many 3rd/4th short yardage situations last year where we failed to make a first down on run plays and our defense was too soft and this is why Saban is saying we need to return to the Alabama Way IMO.
Amen to that, and it was with an OL that should have rivalled 2012. But performance was nowhere near what it should have been, given the combination of talent level and experience. Acknowledging that Tua sometimes held the ball too long, the OL also had some problems of its own with pass protection. Far too often, the D was on top of Tua before he even had a chance to drop back and get set up.

I'm hopeful that Kyle Flood's experience as a college head coach and more recently a professional OL coach will translate into materially improved OL production, in both the running and passing games.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
I think Waddle and Judy are a cut above and need to start, either is too dynamic to sit the first series. Then between Ruggs and Smith and then I would lean Ruggs, I just seem to recall Ruggs getting to and making some tougher catches.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ruggs is 100% our best WR at high pointing the ball which is a great asset in the red zone because we lack a 6'4'' w/ wingspan WR that is productive at the moment. Heck, we really haven't had one of those since Julio and didn't have a QB good enough to put those end zone skills to use in his three years here.

Juedy made a ton of production in the slot last year. He's really one of those rare playmaker slot receivers. Not just an option route guy. At either rate, we're probably base offense in 3-wide so I imagine there will be plenty of snaps to go around for the top 4 WRs.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Hopefully Mr. Shavers can fill that role coming in @ 6'6"...RTR!!!
Ruggs is 100% our best WR at high pointing the ball which is a great asset in the red zone because we lack a 6'4'' w/ wingspan WR that is productive at the moment. Heck, we really haven't had one of those since Julio and didn't have a QB good enough to put those end zone skills to use in his three years here.

Juedy made a ton of production in the slot last year. He's really one of those rare playmaker slot receivers. Not just an option route guy. At either rate, we're probably base offense in 3-wide so I imagine there will be plenty of snaps to go around for the top 4 WRs.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I asked because I was curious as to the overall talent on offense in comparison to Georgia’s for the upcoming seasons

[FONT=&quot]LT- Alex Leatherwood[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LG- Emil Ekiyor and or Deonte Brown[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]C- Chris Owens[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RG- Matt Womack[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RT- Jedrick Wills[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TE-Miller Forristall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WR- Jerry Jeudy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WR- Henry Ruggs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WR- DeVonta Smith[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WR- Jaylen Waddle [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RB- Najee Harris[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RB- Brian Robinson [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]QB- Tua Tagovailoa[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will add Evan Neal on the OL and Xavier Williams at WR to get as close to apples to apples as possible[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16 overall players [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 Stars: 5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 Stars: 9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Stars: 2

overall average composite = 0.955

there is some numbers for you tidefans on your offensive lineup, for those who care.

In comparison Georgia has one less 5 star, one additional 3 star and an overall average composite of 0.951

Both teams are very talented on offense with new offensive coordinators, it will be interesting to see how each team does this year. [/FONT]

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I asked because I was curious as to the overall talent on offense in comparison to Georgia’s for the upcoming seasons

[FONT="]LT- Alex Leatherwood[/FONT]
[FONT="]LG- Emil Ekiyor and or Deonte Brown[/FONT]
[FONT="]C- Chris Owens[/FONT]
[FONT="]RG- Matt Womack[/FONT]
[FONT="]RT- Jedrick Wills[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]TE-Miller Forristall[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]WR- Jerry Jeudy[/FONT]
[FONT="]WR- Henry Ruggs[/FONT]
[FONT="]WR- DeVonta Smith[/FONT]
[FONT="]WR- Jaylen Waddle [/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]RB- Najee Harris[/FONT]
[FONT="]RB- Brian Robinson [/FONT]
[FONT="]QB- Tua Tagovailoa[/FONT]
[FONT="]I will add Evan Neal on the OL and Xavier Williams at WR to get as close to apples to apples as possible[/FONT]
[FONT="]16 overall players [/FONT]
[FONT="]5 Stars: 5[/FONT]
[FONT="]4 Stars: 9[/FONT]
[FONT="]3 Stars: 2

overall average composite = 0.955

there is some numbers for you tidefans on your offensive lineup, for those who care.

In comparison Georgia has one less 5 star, one additional 3 star and an overall average composite of 0.951

Both teams are very talented on offense with new offensive coordinators, it will be interesting to see how each team does this year. [/FONT]
Stars are for the fans in recruiting. We are talking about a team here. We have a Juggernaut on the offensive side of the ball this year directed by a potential Heisman winner.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
At least UGA plays an SEC schedule. The ACC is literally laughable. Clemson's TWO toughest REGULAR SEASON games are against SEC opponents...
The problem we face is that our two biggest threats Clemson and Georgia can essentially spend the entire season practicing for us while they give minimal attention to squashing the pansies on their schedule.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.