Return of Culverhouse Donation: Proud of the University

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yesterday, the University returned a donation of $25 million from Hugh Culverhouse, Jr. I have never been prouder.

The return was the fallout of a months-long disagreement over the influence he would wield over the operations, personnel decisions, and direction of the Law School. Essentially, Culverhouse said, "I gave you $25 million. I get to call the shots." The University said, "We appreciate your generosity, but we maintain our academic integrity no matter what."

I do not know the specifics (I'm sure Earle does), but can you imagine how bad it must have been for the administration to say, in effect, "Your $25 million is too expensive. Keep it."

I also want to call hogwash on Culverhouse's recently-concocted assertion that it's about Alabama's recent abortion legislation vs. his and his parents' longstanding support of Planned Parenthood. He then doubled down, and is advising parents and prospective students in Florida to cross UA off their list due to that legislation -- as if the University itself passed the law.

First, the University of Alabama is not part of the legislature, and has no vote on any legislation.

Second, we have a hard enough time securing funding from the yahoos in Montgomery, and would in no way take any stand either way on the issue. Similar to not being an institutional supporter of either the Republicans or Democrats, why would they alienate a large portion of the state with a public stance on something as divisive as abortion? For its own self-interest, the University itself is neither Republican, Democrat, pro-choice or pro-life.

Here's my take on Culverhouse's cover story: He way overstepped, and he knows it. He doesn't want details of his actions to become public, and is trying to put out a smokescreen. Again, I don't know the specifics of the dispute, but I'd bet every dime I have that his stance on abortion has nothing to do with it.

For the record: This is not about abortion, pro or con. It's about (1) uncompromising academic integrity in the face of significant monetary incentive to do otherwise, and (2) calling out a patently transparent attempt at CYA. Please limit any responses to these points. If it starts to devolve into a debate on abortion, I will shut the thread down.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yesterday, the University returned a donation of $25 million from Hugh Culverhouse, Jr. I have never been prouder.

The return was the fallout of a months-long disagreement over the influence he would wield over the operations, personnel decisions, and direction of the Law School. Essentially, Culverhouse said, "I gave you $25 million. I get to call the shots." The University said, "We appreciate your generosity, but we maintain our academic integrity no matter what."

I do not know the specifics (I'm sure Earle does), but can you imagine how bad it must have been for the administration to say, in effect, "Your $25 million is too expensive. Keep it."

I also want to call hogwash on Culverhouse's recently-concocted assertion that it's about Alabama's recent abortion legislation vs. his and his parents' longstanding support of Planned Parenthood. He then doubled down, and is advising parents and prospective students in Florida to cross UA off their list due to that legislation -- as if the University itself passed the law.

First, the University of Alabama is not part of the legislature, and has no vote on any legislation.

Second, we have a hard enough time securing funding from the yahoos in Montgomery, and would in no way take any stand either way on the issue. Similar to not being an institutional supporter of either the Republicans or Democrats, why would they alienate a large portion of the state with a public stance on something as divisive as abortion? For its own self-interest, the University itself is neither Republican, Democrat, pro-choice or pro-life.

Here's my take on Culverhouse's cover story: He way overstepped, and he knows it. He doesn't want details of his actions to become public, and is trying to put out a smokescreen. Again, I don't know the specifics of the dispute, but I'd bet every dime I have that his stance on abortion has nothing to do with it.

For the record: This is not about abortion, pro or con. It's about (1) uncompromising academic integrity in the face of significant monetary incentive to do otherwise, and (2) calling out a patently transparent attempt at CYA. Please limit any responses to these points. If it starts to devolve into a debate on abortion, I will shut the thread down.
First, I agree on the abortion aspect. That belongs on the other board. You are correct, as St. John said, that the friction, and even the demand for a return of his original 11 million predated the legislation, despite what he's trying to say now. The one point of disagreement, although there were others, was that Culverhouse wanted the school to increase its enrollment and accept a larger percentage than the 37% or so that are presently accepted. The school was going in the opposite direction, wanting to raise standards even higher. He literally became the "donor from hell."

Although I recognize the necessity in the face of constantly declining state support, I find myself questioning the tack the University has taken in recruiting out of state. The undergrad population is roughly 50/50. I understand the law school has well over half of its students from out of state, although numbers are harder to come by. Bell said that many of those students settle in Alabama, but I wonder about that. Reliable numbers aren't available for that, anyway. Here's a NYT article (paywalled, if you're over their limit) from 2016...

NYT

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The misinformation being pushed by national media on this is infuriating. Have yet to see a local media member complain about what UA did. Instead, they’re all trying to correct the crap about it being over the boycott. National media doesn’t seem to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
So, did he want students to boycott attending the University or the University to boycott the state? Neither is good or makes sense but the latter is downright stupid and darn near impossible for a state institution.

He thought his money bought him the right to run the law school. He never expected the University to stand up to him but they took it a step further and said we don’t need you or your money. Now, he has egg on his face and is trying to deflect.

I am a proud alum.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So, did he want students to boycott attending the University or the University to boycott the state? Neither is good or makes sense but the latter is downright stupid and darn near impossible for a state institution.

He thought his money bought him the right to run the law school. He never expected the University to stand up to him but they took it a step further and said we don’t need you or your money. Now, he has egg on his face and is trying to deflect.

I am a proud alum.
As I understand it, his comments were limited to wanting prospective students and their parents to eliminate UA from their lists of potential colleges. But I'm sure that, if asked, he would say to boycott the whole state.

And I think your take on his expectations is exactly right...he never thought the administration would tell him to take his money and hike it on out of town.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I understand it, his comments were limited to wanting prospective students and their parents to eliminate UA from their lists of potential colleges. But I'm sure that, if asked, he would say to boycott the whole state.

And I think your take on his expectations is exactly right...he never thought the administration would tell him to take his money and hike it on out of town.
Oh, he said that also, just not in this OpEd...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I assume there is no impact on the name of the Culverhouse College of Business at UA. I believe that naming is associated with Hugh Culverhouse Sr (father), who passed years ago.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I assume there is no impact on the name of the Culverhouse College of Business at UA. I believe that naming is associated with Hugh Culverhouse Sr (father), who passed years ago.
True. I don't think the university would want to remove it in any event. The father and son were far different people...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.