How Long Will UGA Faithful Give Kirby...?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think as long as UGA can continue winning the East the fans will be patient. If however UF overtakes them then their fans will begin losing faith and his seat may begin to get warm.
I think this is a huge part of it. Been the catalyst of how long coaches have lasted in the west to some extent. We saw both LSU and TAMU make coaching changes due to their inability to beat Bama (lsu) OR win the West (tamu) ... eventually the team from west Georgia's will do the same again as well.

If either UF or Tenn becomes a consistent threat in the east then CKS will be looked at with more scrutiny ... especially if another team wins the east in the next 2 years

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Active coaches who have won a national championship and then how many years as a D1 head coach before they did it

1) Jimbo Fisher (4) .... and what has he done since?
2) Nick Saban (9) using Michigan State and LSU (4) if using just LSU
3) Dabo (9)

Kirby has a while as long as he does not start going backwards and having 7-5 and 8-4 seasons

I am not on here to say that Kirby is better than Saban because that would just be dumb, it does take a while for a head coach to get their feet wet though and they have to learn and develop just as players do. Kirby needs/deserves time.

Time will tell

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think a lot depends on how UGA does against an improving SEC East. Florida and UT have both upgraded in its coaches and their recruiting will eventually cut into some of Kirby's recent success. Georgia and Florida are the recruiting hotbeds in the southeast and UF, UT, Miami, UCF, FSU, Alabama, Auburn and Clemson will keep pressure on Smart and his staff. As long as he makes it to the SECC game and possibly a final 4 I think he is safe for at least the next 5 years barring a melt down season.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Oh for the love of God.....

Georgia - as glue sniffingly delusional as a lot of them can be - is NOT LSU, who emotionally fires a national championship winning coach solely because he's not Nick Saban.

I can find plenty wrong with the toleration of Richt, but Georgia at least managed to replace him with something better.

There's another problem that nobody seems to want to consider right now - we basically have free agency in college football that we didn't have even as recently as Malzahn's Season of Luck. You can have a lot of talent and then lose a lot of it very quickly because "child with NFL delusions isn't starting."

Whoa! Calm down there just a bit Selma. Just trying to start a little weekend off season conversation. No need to stroke out.:D

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The man just finished his 3rd season as a head coach. While Georgia is recruiting at a high level, Kirby and staff are just now going into the 4th year and will have majority of the players they recruited. I am not sure what more can be expected out of a head coach than what he has accomplished in 3 years.

Personally, I give Kirby another 7 years. Who out there is better that is going to come knocking? Georgia is not going to get Saban or Dabo. Lincoln Riley and Kirby are seen as similar coaches with similar accomplishments in their timelines in my opinion and regardless Georgia is not getting Lincoln Riley.

Patience could run thin among many fans if Kirby is in his 6th season and hasn’t won it, but once again... who do you replace him with?
Georgia could always replace Kirby with Gus.
Give Gus enough money and he would have that bus towed to Athens.

Don't laugh, there are dummies who would go along with that based on the fact that Gus beat Alabama and Georgia the same year....

IMO: Kirby isn't going anywhere for a long time.
Kirby has proved himself as a Defensive guru, now he wants to do the same as
The Head Coach.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Way too early for this talk in my opinion. He missed one NC on a miracle-type play and came within an eyelash of being in the playoffs last year.

I think the standard for elite coaching success has changed. Nowadays making the playoffs puts you on the level formerly reserved for being in the title game. Kirby has had his team there and doesn’t look like there’s going to be a drop-off any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm. Fan is short for fanatic so I suppose next year the fanatics could run him off. But if they will keep in mind how long they have been second fiddle in the East and how long they have been 4-6 in the SEC they will kick back and enjoy winning 10-11 games a year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
First of all: good topic of discussion. Board has been a little slow lately so we need good, off-season topics.

It could be argued that Georgia went to the top too fast. Their expectations and hopes are sky high (and for good reason). If they stumble to a couple of average seasons, the whispers will start with some. I say that fully acknowledging that if CNS had two seasons with less than 10 wins we'd have the same whispers.

But Georgia right now has only one real giant to overcome each year: the SEC west champ. They don't have any real competition in the east. They don't have a legit in state rival (which is often overlooked). Their toughest regular season game each year is against the team from west georgia who is our main rival.

People talk about Bama's weak schedule but Georgia has an easy, paved road to the SEC championship game right now. They basically have a 3 game schedule to win a NC. Win the sec championship game and then 2 playoff games.

If he can't do that in the next couple of years, the groaning in Athens will steadily increase.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think as long as UGA can continue winning the East the fans will be patient. If however UF overtakes them then their fans will begin losing faith and his seat may begin to get warm.
True!! Florida and ut will be vastly improved this year...

Florida will have to makeup their handicap at qb, but the rest of the team will be much better than the last few years.

Pruitt is building something in Knoxville.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Plenty of UGA fans seem to think that Clemson gave them a road map on how to beat us. I don't see Kirby practicing every week to play us like Dabo did. I may be wrong, but...

Just my 2 cents.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Plenty of UGA fans seem to think that Clemson gave them a road map on how to beat us. I don't see Kirby practicing every week to play us like Dabo did. I may be wrong, but...

Just my 2 cents.
And what's that map look like?

UGA put up 454 yards on Alabama while Clemson put up 482. Clemson allowed Alabama to gain 443 yards, which was more than UGA allowing 403.

UGA did go 5-16 on third down while Clemson went 10-15.

Clemson turned two TOs into 14 points. UGA turned two TOs into 0 points.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Just my 2 cents.
Seems every few years people claim a road map has been found to beat Bama but Coach Saban is constantly making adjustments so the road map will always change.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

UGA put up 454 yards on Alabama while Clemson put up 482. Clemson allowed Alabama to gain 443 yards, which was more than UGA allowing 403.

It is UGA fans. You throw out all logic and reason.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

Beats me. Just repeating what I've seen/heard. :pDT_popc1:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.