How Long Will UGA Faithful Give Kirby...?

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
That`s interesting. So, if I understand correctly, 10 years of " close, but no cigar " as far as a national championship is concerned would be okay? That`s a lot of patience with that talent base! I agree with you about patience running thin at 6 years, and I think it would get pretty sporty in Athens regardless of who is or is not available to replace him. Then again, I could be wrong if the level to which UGA fans tolerated Richt is any indication of what they`ll tolerate.
Your last sentence is the key. Richt coached there for what, about 30 years? ​As an alumnus, Kirby should get that plus a few more.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Plenty of UGA fans seem to think that Clemson gave them a road map on how to beat us. I don't see Kirby practicing every week to play us like Dabo did. I may be wrong, but...

Just my 2 cents.
I'm convinced if we would have just stuck with the running game we beat Clemson. We got into a hole trying to throw too much and then when we were moving the ball at will (like 7-10 runs everytime) we wouldn't stick to it.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I think as long as UGA can continue winning the East the fans will be patient. If however UF overtakes them then their fans will begin losing faith and his seat may begin to get warm.
I think Florida beats them this year to take the East. Georgia went 11-3 last year and Florida was 10-3. I think Mullen will have Florida's offense clicking on all cylinders this year and that's not good news for Kirby's staid offense.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I think Florida beats them this year to take the East. Georgia went 11-3 last year and Florida was 10-3. I think Mullen will have Florida's offense clicking on all cylinders this year and that's not good news for Kirby's staid offense.
Florida lost 4 out of 5 of its offensive lineman and has recruited extremely poor in that area. Florida also does not have a single 5 star player on their roster. We can say that Mullen is a good coach with a good offensive mind if we want to, but he simply does not have the players in place or the depth. If there is 1-2 injuries on the offensive line, they are toast

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Florida lost 4 out of 5 of its offensive lineman and has recruited extremely poor in that area. Florida also does not have a single 5 star player on their roster. We can say that Mullen is a good coach with a good offensive mind if we want to, but he simply does not have the players in place or the depth. If there is 1-2 injuries on the offensive line, they are toast
How many 5 star players did Mullen have at Miss St when he was giving Kirby fits while he was still at Bama?

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
How many 5 star players did Mullen have at Miss St when he was giving Kirby fits while he was still at Bama?
Kirby vs Dan Mullen in 2017 was a 31-3 matchup

Kirby vs Dan Mullen in 2018 was a 36-17 matchup

Dan Mullens MS state team vs Alabama when Kirby was the DC scored over 10 points just one time in 7 match-ups. MS state averaged 8.5 points against Alabama when Mullen was the head coach and Smart was the DC with an average margin of victory of 18.5 points. I am not sure what "fits" Mullen was giving Kirby

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I think you over estimate 5 star athletes as many people do. A 5 star ranking doesn't necessarily mean you are the most talented at a position but a big part of it is perceived readiness to play at the collegiate level which includes physical maturity. In other words you may have a talented 3 or 4 star player that needs a little time in the weight room but talent wise they're there.

Florida's expected to be a top 10 team in 2019. Frank's is an improved QB. They have good RB's, WR's and DB's with experience and their defense should be improved but looked pretty good the last few games of 2018.

Every team has weaknesses with graduation and NFL losses and Georgia's no exception. They'll need to improve at DL, WR, DB and LB. They may have talent in those areas but they don't have experience.

I'm no fan of Georgia or Florida so I really don't have a dog in that fight but while on paper it should be close I still think Florida can take Georgia.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Florida's main weakness this year will be at QB. Of course, that is a determining factor in many games. With Franks playing, all bets are off on UF.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
You think Doctor Disco will have Florida's offense clicking on all cylinders with their offensive line and Felippe Franks at the helm? Wow!

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
You think Doctor Disco will have Florida's offense clicking on all cylinders with their offensive line and Felippe Franks at the helm? Wow!
Well, you could put Franks and Fromm's last year stats side-by-side and they'd look real close and I don't know that Franks chokes in the second half quite as well as Fromm. We'll see how their OL comes together but they're more solid in more positions than Georgia.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Well, you could put Franks and Fromm's last year stats side-by-side and they'd look real close and I don't know that Franks chokes in the second half quite as well as Fromm. We'll see how their OL comes together but they're more solid in more positions than Georgia.
QB rating:
Fromm: 171.3 (3rd in the country, yes he finished behind Tua)
Franks: 143.4 (he finished behind Guarantano, shurmur, Bentley, burrow, mond....)

TD’s thrown
Fromm: 30 (1 TD per 10.25 pass attempts)
Franks: 24 (1 TD per 13.45 pass attempts)

Fromm finished 2nd in the SEC in TD passes, yes I know he finished behind Tua. Franks finished 5th in the SEC

Pass completion percentage:
Fromm: 67.4%
Franks: 58.4%

Fromm finished 10th here in the country and Franks finished 84th

Yards per pass attempt:
Fromm: 9.0
Franks: 7.6

Fromm finished 9th in the country here, franks finished 56th

I am not sure I see where Franks and Fromm’s stats are similar side by side??

Also, in regards to position groups

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-football-2019-all-conference-team

Georgia has a predicted 6 players in the all SEC 1st and 2nd team, Florida has 2 players

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
QB rating:
Franks: 143.4 (he finished behind Guarantano, shurmur, Bentley, burrow, mond....)
Fromm had Heisman type numbers last year. He really is a great QB, and he learns from his mistakes. If GA loses to FL, it won't be because Fromm is anything less than a great QB.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Fromm had Heisman type numbers last year. He really is a great QB, and he learns from his mistakes. If GA loses to FL, it won't be because Fromm is anything less than a great QB.
Don’t get me wrong. I am not on here trying to say that Fromm is superior to Tua. Simply put though Fromm was a top 5 to 10 QB in the country last year and at minimum he should be this upcoming season as well. Saying that Franks is comparable or better than Fromm is laughable though

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Don’t get me wrong. I am not on here trying to say that Fromm is superior to Tua. Simply put though Fromm was a top 5 to 10 QB in the country last year and at minimum he should be this upcoming season as well. Saying that Franks is comparable or better than Fromm is laughable though
He was the 4th best QB in the country last year behind Tua, Lawrence and Murray, all of whom will play in the NFL. Franks was improving fast, but he has a long way to go to reach that level.

That said, FL now has a pretty good head coach. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think anyone here is going to get upset that you're pointing out that Fromm would start for about 98% of CFB teams. He's legit.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
QB rating:

TD’s thrown
Fromm: 30 (1 TD per 10.25 pass attempts)
Franks: 24 (1 TD per 13.45 pass attempts)

Fromm finished 2nd in the SEC in TD passes, yes I know he finished behind Tua. Franks finished 5th in the SEC

Pass completion percentage:
Fromm: 67.4%
Franks: 58.4%

Fromm finished 10th here in the country and Franks finished 84th

Yards per pass attempt:
Fromm: 9.0
Franks: 7.6

Fromm finished 9th in the country here, franks finished 56th

I am not sure I see where Franks and Fromm’s stats are similar side by side??

Also, in regards to position groups

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-football-2019-all-conference-team

Georgia has a predicted 6 players in the all SEC 1st and 2nd team, Florida has 2 players
Fromm 2,749 yards, 30 tds, 6 ints - Franks - 2,457, 24 tds, 6 ints that's pretty close when you consider that Fromm had 1 more game than Franks.

You've cherry picked individual players "predicted" all SEC. Below is Athlon's "predicted" SEC unit ranking for 2019. Of the 6 units RB, WR, OL, DL, LB and DB Florida ranked 2nd or 3rd in 4 of the 6. Georgia's ranked 1st or 2nd in 3.

Now, we can argue over which unit may be more important than others but essentially it's going to be offensive units against defensive units so we should expect Georgia's OL and RB's to fight it out with a pretty good Florida DL and LB group but who and where are the Georgia WR's that Fromm's "Heisman" capabilities are going to throw to against a real good Florida DB crew.

On the other hand Florida's unknown OL and good RB's go up against an okay Georgia DL, good LB's and decent DB's with some really good WR's for Franks to throw to.

THAT should translate to a close game and it's my way too early prediction that Florida beats Georgia in Jacksonville November 2, 2019.
screenshot-athlonsports.com-2019.06.15-09-00-02.png

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Fromm 2,749 yards, 30 tds, 6 ints - Franks - 2,457, 24 tds, 6 ints that's pretty close when you consider that Fromm had 1 more game than Franks.

You've cherry picked individual players "predicted" all SEC. Below is Athlon's "predicted" SEC unit ranking for 2019. Of the 6 units RB, WR, OL, DL, LB and DB Florida ranked 2nd or 3rd in 4 of the 6. Georgia's ranked 1st or 2nd in 3.

Now, we can argue over which unit may be more important than others but essentially it's going to be offensive units against defensive units so we should expect Georgia's OL and RB's to fight it out with a pretty good Florida DL and LB group but who and where are the Georgia WR's that Fromm's "Heisman" capabilities are going to throw to against a real good Florida DB crew.

On the other hand Florida's unknown OL and good RB's go up against an okay Georgia DL, good LB's and decent DB's with some really good WR's for Franks to throw to.

THAT should translate to a close game and it's my way too early prediction that Florida beats Georgia in Jacksonville November 2, 2019.
Did Athlon rate the QBs ?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He was the 4th best QB in the country last year behind Tua, Lawrence and Murray, all of whom will play in the NFL. Franks was improving fast, but he has a long way to go to reach that level.

That said, FL now has a pretty good head coach. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I wouldn't be surprised if some teams have Fromm at the top of their QB position board in the 2020 draft. I think he needs to show that he can throw over the middle of the field but I'm not sure if that is schematic or a deficiency or a schematic decision due to a deficiency. He can hit all the difficult throws on the outside consistently though. He's lit us up by beating the corner's reaction to a quick hitch or out to the wide side of the field.

Tua has shown he can make all the throws but really only has to prove he's not just piling on big college yards with the RPO. I think he's the top guy especially with people wanting to copy-cat Mahomes but it isn't a slam dunk.

Last edited:

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Did Athlon rate the QBs ?
I don't know but as a Bama fan since the 60's I'm not used to having top QB's. They can win games and lose games for you. I'm glad we have Tua but normally I'm more comfortable with a good serviceable QB with a really good team around him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.