How Long Will UGA Faithful Give Kirby...?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Kirby should be used to the pressure since he led the D for many years. I don't think the pressure will bother him. I suppose the question should be will the pressure of high recruiting get to Georgia fans.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
The Florida-georgia game will be close because it is.........well, it's Florida georgia. If anyone thinks that Franks will take over and win that game for Florida will be kidding themselves. The Jones kid that got kicked off the team (not Emory) would have started by the georgia game. I've heard from friends that Emory is not getting the play book yet. Regardless, it is my hope that the Gators bite the dawgs in half.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'll believe UF has a legitimate chance against UGA when they do it on the field.
I think Mac and Mush did too much damage to the program and the recruiting base to expect Mullen to turn it around in 2 years. I would think UGA's biggest competition in the East might be Missouri or South Carolina with Tennessee and Florida still years away, and UK and Vandy just totally depleted.

So more or less, I think Florida beating UGA this year would be on par with Ole Miss beating Bama. But for an odd reason, upsets happen more often than should in that rivalry

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree that Mullen is going to need more than two years to get the Gators back to challenging for the SEC East. Franks, to be fair, has only had one year of decent coaching, and could turn out to be a top QB, but right now he is a feast or famine QB. I still believe Lawrence is better than Tua and Fromm. UF is still a couple of years away from challenging UGA, still not sure about UT's outlook they have a much steeper hill to climb than UF.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree that Mullen is going to need more than two years to get the Gators back to challenging for the SEC East. Franks, to be fair, has only had one year of decent coaching, and could turn out to be a top QB, but right now he is a feast or famine QB. I still believe Lawrence is better than Tua and Fromm. UF is still a couple of years away from challenging UGA, still not sure about UT's outlook they have a much steeper hill to climb than UF.
I heard Spurrier on the radio say that Trevor Lawrence’s height in a RPO system is a bigger advantage than the average football fan realizes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean he went 10-3 with a team that went 4-7 the year prior. Also I think people are going to see before long that what he did at Mississippi State was very aberrant despite on paper only looking like a bunch of 7-5 seasons with a couple of better ones with Dak. He's got more seasoning as a head coach than Smart too. I have a lot of confidence in the assumption that 2018 was probably damn near his low bar in Gainesville.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I heard Spurrier on the radio say that Trevor Lawrence’s height in a RPO system is a bigger advantage than the average football fan realizes.
Height is rarely a disadvantage at quarterback. The 4in listed difference between Lawrence and Tua Tagovailoa is not insignificant but at the same time Tua probably had the least batted balls of any QB we've had in recent memory.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I mean he went 10-3 with a team that went 4-7 the year prior. Also I think people are going to see before long that what he did at Mississippi State was very aberrant despite on paper only looking like a bunch of 7-5 seasons with a couple of better ones with Dak. He's got more seasoning as a head coach than Smart too. I have a lot of confidence in the assumption that 2018 was probably damn near his low bar in Gainesville.
The problem is that he just doesn't have the players yet. Ron Zook left Urban a better staff than Mac did for Mullen. I think its possible that Mullen could win the East this year because he is a far better coach than what Florida has had since 2011, and that he showed last year that he was capable of competing with Kirby on the field. But if I was to guess, the East will be decided November 9th instead of November 2nd. This is probably Kirby's best team he has had, and I have my doubts if it is one to get back to the NY6. But that doesn't mean I think Florida is the real contender for the eastern crown. I would say Missouri probably poses the biggest threat to Georgia in the preseason. But I expect UGA to win the East pretty easily.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Height is rarely a disadvantage at quarterback. The 4in listed difference between Lawrence and Tua Tagovailoa is not insignificant but at the same time Tua probably had the least batted balls of any QB we've had in recent memory.
His argument was that Trevor Lawerence is the only quarterback that can throw over the defense in a RPO system without taking an angle to do so. Which is true if you watch both throw.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I have to agree. I was always very impressed with what he did at MSU. I thought that he overachieved on a regular basis. He took three star guys, and competed against teams with much more raw talent. I think he will have UF back in the hunt quickly.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I wouldn't be surprised if some teams have Fromm at the top of their QB position board in the 2020 draft. I think he needs to show that he can throw over the middle of the field but I'm not sure if that is schematic or a deficiency or a schematic decision due to a deficiency. He can hit all the difficult throws on the outside consistently though. He's lit us up by beating the corner's reaction to a quick hitch or out to the wide side of the field.

Tua has shown he can make all the throws but really only has to prove he's not just piling on big college yards with the RPO. I think he's the top guy especially with people wanting to copy-cat Mahomes but it isn't a slam dunk.
In some instances it's not the QB's problem. It boils down to having a receiver that will consistently run the routes over the middle, that is without alligator arms, and running the route all the way out...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
....to do what? Beat Bama, win the NC? Not sure, but getting trucked in the sugar bowl by an inferior Texas team did not help him.
It doesn't hurt him any more that Saban's teams that lost to inferior opponents when Bama wasn't interested in playing a meaningless game after the NC was taken off the table...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
My daughter and I go to Edgewater Beach Resort each July 4th week. Over the years we’ve gotten to know several UGA families. Can’t wait to see them after yet another gut wrenching game lol.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It doesn't hurt him any more that Saban's teams that lost to inferior opponents when Bama wasn't interested in playing a meaningless game after the NC was taken off the table...
Well, when you are out of it...you are out of it. :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.