Games you played in elementary PE / recess that would cause lawsuits today

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Smear the word that rhymes with smear. If you don't know what this is I will explain. Basically everyone tackles the guy with the football.

The way some of kids are so sensitive red rover offends them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
here is an interesting article on playgrounds in berlin. i ran across this last year (written in 2016)

What Makes Berlin a Playground Paradise - NYT possible paywall

Accidents can happen anywhere. Staff members at my local emergency room admitted that they see injuries each summer from a slippery granite area at one nearby playground. Certainly, German parents would agree with American ones that the world can be a scary place. But the prevailing wisdom here is that overprotecting children only makes it more, not less, dangerous for them; they need to learn to protect themselves. This extends beyond the playground. Six-year-olds are regularly sent to pick up breakfast rolls at the bakery on their own. Most children walk themselves to their neighborhood school.

This relaxed attitude toward child-rearing runs counter to the stereotype of Germans as uptight, but it’s true across the board. Children learn to read in first grade in Germany, and parents are not inclined to teach them earlier. Pressure is a dirty word. Playtime is key. Fresh air is everything. Playgrounds are full of children come rain or shine, even in winter, when the snowsuits are out in full force. And you will not see Berlin parents hovering over their little ones. No, they will be drinking coffee and reading the newspaper on a bench. That said, if a child does get hurt in a local playground, any nearby parent will rush to help. There is still, at least in my view, a strong collective sense of responsibility for children in German public spaces.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we used to play broom hockey, with brooms and a chalkboard eraser, in 3rd/4th grade pe on rainy days. it's how i got my first black eye

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Murder Ball- War ball/Dodgeball with women size basketballs. You learned to keep your hear on a swivel. Our pe coach eventually changed to volleyballs which stung too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Murder Ball- War ball/Dodgeball with women size basketballs. You learned to keep your hear on a swivel. Our pe coach eventually changed to volleyballs which stung too.

We played murderball with a taped up sponge the size of a softball. I got my first black eye playing that. The guy hit me so hard it took me off my feet.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
King of the mountain
Tackle football with no pads
Blocking off the highest street in Fayetteville when it snowed for sledding

We used to box in PE. There were two sets of 14 ounce gloves so when guys got caught fighting Mr Ruby would break out the gloves. I’m here to tell you getting nailed in the face with a heavy glove hurts.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Smear the word that rhymes with smear. If you don't know what this is I will explain. Basically everyone tackles the guy with the football.

The way some of kids are so sensitive red rover offends them.
We always called that pickup and smear. In elementary school we were not heavy enough to break bones and stuff just got a few cuts and bruises. One time when we got a little older we played tackle football and found out without pads a couple of guys got broken bones. The game didn't last long.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

That might have been what we called battle. Sounds pretty much the same. You could also throw in basketball, volleyball, and soccer the way we used to play. All were pretty much full-contact sports.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I think we played that in PE using kickballs, which didn’t hurt much.

I remember the smear the rhyming word but only played that away from school.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Didn’t play it in PE, but played on my dead end street with neighborhood kids: bicycle polo, with a soccer ball and whatever we could hit it with (broom sticks, baseball bats, etc). Brutally dangerous.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Back in 2nd grade or so (circa 1989/1990) our school playground had some old truck/tractor tires piled up we could play on/in. A sizable chunk of them had exposed (rusty) metal, and they of course collected water so they were breeding grounds for all sorts of fun vermin, and disease.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The obvious is dodgeball, but did anyone else play tether ball? The ball that is attached to the pole with a rope. That thing would hurt like heck if it hit you in the head.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Late 60s: Red Rover. Lots of clotheslining in that one.

Early to mid-70s: Dodgeball, Smear. We dispensed with the rhyme to make it less objectionable to teachers and moms.

They weren’t worried about the slur. They were concerned that we knew what the slur meant.

Tackle football with no thought of a pad or supervision anywhere nearby.

No refs or umpires. We settled our own disputes with no adult intervention. One tone-deaf schmuck brought his parents into a safe / out dispute in a game of kickpin (which is what we called kickball).

Poor guy. He was never included in another game. Last I knew, 20 or so years ago, he was over 40 still living with his parents.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.