Dabo Hires Tater Tot as a Graduate Assistant

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well according to Dabo, Saban tried to hire him for his first staff here but Dabo turned him down because he was comfortable at Clemson at the time. If true it seems Mal only said no in 01 because he was trying to show the NCAA we were actively trying to fix the problem ( little good that did), but was willing to let Saban get whoever he wanted.

Of course both these stories have come public because of Dabo, but Fran has pretty much said he was wanting to keep Dabo as well.
He's obviously a good coach and recruiter. It's been proven over the last decade. I just can't get past his personality.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's obviously a good coach and recruiter. It's been proven over the last decade. I just can't get past his personality.
I wouldn’t be mad or disappointed if he came to Alabama, but I would prefer a coach that is younger but proven to come. I think that Dabo wouldn’t be near as successful at Alabama but I think we may see longer winning streaks vs Auburn.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Coach Saban wanted Dabo pretty badly. Below is a transcript of a NC Q&A (I think the most recent one) about CNS trying to hire him. It's not a Dabo concoction. They are personal friends.

(Didn't you want to hire Rick Pitino this year? :smile:)

I’ve long known that Saban likes Dabo. However i personally still would not want him here for reasons that I’ve explained on here before. And yes I thought Pitino would have been considered—he would have been a potentially transformational hire in a sport where we desperately need someone that can inject some excitement into the program, get players, and really move the needle, even though we all know he has baggage. Yes I would have taken that chance. But a different decision was made and I truly HOPE that Coach Oats is successful.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.