Question: Will Bama ever return to a physical running game? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Will Bama ever return to a physical running game?

Quote Originally Posted by jjv0004 View Post
    I know as a fan I miss the days where Bama would run all over the opponent. After you do that for a while, the defense starts to feel pretty demoralized. Just think, we had Ingram/Richardson, Yeldon/Lacey, Yeldon/Henry/Drake and most recently Harris/Jacobs/Harris. I really like this team but it might be the weakest group of running backs since 2009.
    I think you may be surprised by Harris/Robinson...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I know as a fan I miss the days where Bama would run all over the opponent. After you do that for a while, the defense starts to feel pretty demoralized. Just think, we had Ingram/Richardson, Yeldon/Lacey, Yeldon/Henry/Drake and most recently Harris/Jacobs/Harris. I really like this team but it might be the weakest group of running backs since 2009.
    Because the rest of the group had to sit behind a first round pick and a third round pick along with the expected first stringer this year they are a weak group?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Because the rest of the group had to sit behind a first round pick and a third round pick along with the expected first stringer this year they are a weak group?
    Sort of my point also...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Tide fans since 2014

During 2014: this offense is great

After tOSU: I told you we need a running game

During 2015: we need to ride the beast defense wins championships

After Clemson I: man I knew we needed Lane Kiffin to save our bacon because defense doesn’t win championships anymore

During 2016: defense wins championships

After Clemson II: defense doesn’t win championships

During 2017: defense wins championships

After UGA I: qbs like tua wins championships

During 2018: this offense will compensate for a lack of defense due to the air raid

After Clemson IV: running the ball and defense wins championships

The truth is we need 3 things not counting a kicker. 1) a quick strike ability 2) a running back that can get you the hard yardage and 3) a competent defense. We had 2 last year. For all y’all wanting that ground and pound with a game manager at qb, y’all might look at how many times UGA has gotten blown out in the last 3 years compared to how many times Bama has been blown out in the last 5 years.

BamaNation Scout Team

I meant no disrespect to Harris or Robinson. I actually love Robinson's running style. And Sanders might be better than them both. I think my point was that those other groups I listed were pretty incredible.

I meant no disrespect to Harris or Robinson. I actually love Robinson's running style. And Sanders might be better than them both. I think my point was that those other groups I listed were pretty incredible.
    That they were, but we can't say this "might be the weakest group" without seeing them in action.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That they were, but we can't say this "might be the weakest group" without seeing them in action.
    ……. along with the fact our unusually prolific passing game limits the need to rely on a power running game. Late 3rd - 4th quarter is where our RB's will shine.
    Last edited by CrimSonami; June 13th, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Looking at the schedule, I expect us to establish our running game early in the season. South Carolina will present a challenge to where we might have to rely on running game and passing game to balance each other out. TAMU is the game I have it circled to see where we are at against them. Good test for our OL men and how we execute our offense.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Tide fans since 2014

During 2014: this offense is great

After tOSU: I told you we need a running game

During 2015: we need to ride the beast defense wins championships

After Clemson I: man I knew we needed Lane Kiffin to save our bacon because defense doesn’t win championships anymore

During 2016: defense wins championships

After Clemson II: defense doesn’t win championships

During 2017: defense wins championships

After UGA I: qbs like tua wins championships

During 2018: this offense will compensate for a lack of defense due to the air raid

After Clemson IV: running the ball and defense wins championships

The truth is we need 3 things not counting a kicker. 1) a quick strike ability 2) a running back that can get you the hard yardage and 3) a competent defense. We had 2 last year. For all y’all wanting that ground and pound with a game manager at qb, y’all might look at how many times UGA has gotten blown out in the last 3 years compared to how many times Bama has been blown out in the last 5 years.
    The first part of your post reminds me of the old joke about Alabama fans: How many Alabama fans does it take to change a light bulb? Five. One to change the bulb, and four to stand around talking about how good the other one was.

Funny, but stings a bit because it’s a little too true.

Regarding needs, the only change I’d make is about the RB. We have backs that can get short yardage.

What we haven’t had for a while is an OL that could even halfway consistently get the remotest semblance of a hole / push / crease in short yardage against a good team. This despite multiple RBs ending up being early-round draft choices.

We have, and have had, the requisite RBs. To me, OL improvement is far more important than RBs stepping up their game.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    The first part of your post reminds me of the old joke about Alabama fans: How many Alabama fans does it take to change a light bulb? Five. One to change the bulb, and four to stand around talking about how good the other one was.

Funny, but stings a bit because it’s a little too true.

Regarding needs, the only change I’d make is about the RB. We have backs that can get short yardage.

What we haven’t had for a while is an OL that could even halfway consistently get the remotest semblance of a hole / push / crease in short yardage against a good team. This despite multiple RBs ending up being early-round draft choices.

We have, and have had, the requisite RBs. To me, OL improvement is far more important than RBs stepping up their game.
    I agree, I think my overall point is that Alabama fans ( all fans really) take these hard takes after every big moment and will go the opposite way after the next.

Yes we need good running back play and good OL play, but this idea that we have gone too far into the madness of Lane Kiffin offenses and we need to revert back to 2012 is preposterous. Alabama evolved to the modern age while teams like LSU and UGA are still stuck in the wilderness wondering why they are still getting blown out and no double digit lead is safe to sit on. I can agree that we probably rode Tua too far, but then again when you are carrying around the worst defense we have had since 2008 then you have to trust in something to compensate for it.

I think we will be better on both sides of the ball barring injuries. We will probably be more balanced than last year and a little less greedy. But copying UGA’s offense won’t do us any favors.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 14th, 2019 at 09:38 AM.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I love running the ball and imposing your will on the other team as much as anyone. The problem is the offenses teams are running today tend to score quickly and often. If we can play Alabama defense and get a lot of 3 and outs then we have more of a choice.
    We have possibly 3 first round receivers and a QB that can get them the ball. I'm ready to run the ball but I sure do like those long throws down the field too.
    IMO our success this year will depend on how well we play defense. I'm not worried about our offense at all. We will score often! RTR!

BamaNation All-SEC

CNS has been a coach that has strived for a balanced offense offense, one where we can both run and pass the ball to keep the chains moving. We don't have to be a run-dominant team to be a physically dominant and effective running the ball.

I'm trusting as long as the OL is healthy this year we will see a return to an effect run game that will only compliment the pass game and vice versa. The key to it all is the O line.

BamaNation All-American

doubt it this season. with our WR core and Tua at QB we will utilize our best players. at some point i expect us to have a generational type RB and then i think we will go with a physical running game.