Question: Will Bama ever return to a physical running game?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If you think Fromm isn't a legitimate passing threat with Riley ridley, Hardman, Godwin, and Nauta then you probably didn't watch them carve up defense after defense all year when Kirby was actually pretending to be a Smart coach. Their problem wasnt that they didn't have the pieces it was their strategy. They would get up 2 scores and try to run the clock out like we did from 07-13. That works against USCe, Vandy, and teams that cant fight back, but not against prolific offenses. They should've hung 40 on us in Atlanta last year, but were too concerned about milking the clock instead of going for the kill. That game was more theirs than the NCG the year before.

LSU has tried copying the early saban teams and every way. It just doesn't work with the crap quarterbacks they have had from 2014 to present.
I like what you did here.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
How has that worked out for UGA and LSU for the past 3 seasons against video game offenses? By my count they have both gotten blown out and lost double digit leads more than they have won.

I think the 2012 team is probably sitting at 0 national championships from 2014-present had they played in any of those years against those offenses
We're not them...and the games we have lost that were meaningful were because we scored quickly and gave the ball back to the other team...it's chess and the moves are critical...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We're not them...and the games we have lost that were meaningful were because we scored quickly and gave the ball back to the other team...it's chess and the moves are critical...
I would say we lost to Clemson in 2017 because we didn't convert third downs. Would say we lost to Auburn in 2017 for a variety of reasons (injuries being the biggest). The loss to Clemson in 2019 was more about failing to convert third downs and red zone opportunities than scoring too quick.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

2014- Ole Miss lost because of Christian Jones being Christian Jones at the worst possible moment in a Very close game.

- tOSU game too much is put on Kiffin and not enough is put on Kirby’s defense allowing a 3rd string qb abuse him and Zeke Elliot gallop for over 200 yards. Tom Herman has made Kirby look stupid twice now.

2015- Ole Miss lost because of 5 turnovers and a qb controversy

2016- Clemson we lost because we didn’t have a qb that could stretch the field going against arguably one of the best college QBs of all time on the other side.

2017- Auburn we lost because of injuries and because we had a qb unable to stretch the field

2018- Clemson we lost because of a lot of dumb and greedy play calling on offense and because we had an average to below average defense

Scoring too fast hasn’t been our problem in any of those games

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
2014- Ole Miss lost because of Christian Jones being Christian Jones at the worst possible moment in a Very close game.

- tOSU game too much is put on Kiffin and not enough is put on Kirby’s defense allowing a 3rd string qb abuse him and Zeke Elliot gallop for over 200 yards. Tom Herman has made Kirby look stupid twice now.

2015- Ole Miss lost because of 5 turnovers and a qb controversy

2016- Clemson we lost because we didn’t have a qb that could stretch the field going against arguably one of the best college QBs of all time on the other side.

2017- Auburn we lost because of injuries and because we had a qb unable to stretch the field

2018- Clemson we lost because of a lot of dumb and greedy play calling on offense and because we had an average to below average defense

Scoring too fast hasn’t been our problem in any of those games
While I might partially agree with you on some of these, us not having a dominant running game hurt us. That Clemson game you refer to in 2016, how many 3 and outs did we have because we couldn't lean on our running game?
Again, you have to be able to run the ball when YOU HAVE TO and when the other team KNOWS YOU HAVE TO and you can and will do it anyway. A couple more first downs in that game and we win but we couldn't get that one little yard when we needed it.
The Ole Miss games you speak of were flukes: in the first one KD went down and it just sucked all the air out of our team and we never recovered. In part dieux we just absolutely couldn't do a thing right and they couldn't do anything wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While I might partially agree with you on some of these, us not having a dominant running game hurt us. That Clemson game you refer to in 2016, how many 3 and outs did we have because we couldn't lean on our running game?
Again, you have to be able to run the ball when YOU HAVE TO and when the other team KNOWS YOU HAVE TO and you can and will do it anyway. A couple more first downs in that game and we win but we couldn't get that one little yard when we needed it.
The Ole Miss games you speak of were flukes: in the first one KD went down and it just sucked all the air out of our team and we never recovered. In part dieux we just absolutely couldn't do a thing right and they couldn't do anything wrong.
Look at the post he replied to. No recent Alabama loss was because Alabama scored too quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I Was addressing the “ scoring too fast costed us games” take with that post. Which i think unless you use the ludicrous idea that Jalen scored too fast vs Clemson in a clutch moment, then that argument holds no weight. If anything the problem is we score too little in regards to the team we are playing , and too slow when we get beat.

But for the 2016 Clemson game... its hard to run the ball when there are 11 guys up on the line on the other side for 90% of the game. Dave Aranda exposed that Jalen Hurts was not a great passer and pretty much any defense worth a damn in 2016 and 2017 sold out against the run and dared Jalen to beat them. Clemson won that game because Jalen couldn’t throw, not because we couldn’t run. You can see the difference the next year when UGA basically did the same thing to us until Tua came in.

AJ Mccarron might’ve been a game manager that lived off a dominant running game, but there is a reason no one’s whole game plan was around the idea of loading the box 90% of the game like they did with Jalen.

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I Was addressing the “ scoring too fast costed us games” take with that post. Which i think unless you use the ludicrous idea that Jalen scored too fast vs Clemson in a clutch moment, then that argument holds no weight. If anything the problem is we score too little in regards to the team we are playing , and too slow when we get beat.
At times we did score too fast. Take that Clemson game again. We run the ball more and control tempo and keep the ball out of DWs hands and we likely win. I don't think anyone here wants to slow the game down to a snail's pace but sometimes you have to be able to control clock and keep the other team's offense off the field, particularly going into the 4th qtr. You have to be able to give your defense a chance to take a breath and make adjustments and you have to be able to make the other team's defense quit.
I agree that we can't be satisfied in scoring 21 points and think we're going to win but you have to give the D a break.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
At times we did score too fast. Take that Clemson game again. We run the ball more and control tempo and keep the ball out of DWs hands and we likely win. I don't think anyone here wants to slow the game down to a snail's pace but sometimes you have to be able to control clock and keep the other team's offense off the field, particularly going into the 4th qtr. You have to be able to give your defense a chance to take a breath and make adjustments and you have to be able to make the other team's defense quit.
I agree that we can't be satisfied in scoring 21 points and think we're going to win but you have to give the D a break.[/LEFT]
Did we watch the same game?

If you want to talk about being too fast, Alabama took 23 seconds per play against Clemson while it averaged 26.6 seconds per play the rest of the year. I chalk that up to Sark calling plays in faster than Lane did.

That game was not lost because Alabama scored too fast throughout the game.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree that we can't be satisfied in scoring 21 points and think we're going to win but you have to give the D a break.
Aside from Jalen’s last TD, where did we score too fast? Most of the game we saw our running backs crashing into the whole Clemson defense for 1 or 2 yard gains. The stats are distorted by the two times Bo broke TD runs. If you take away Bo’s 37 and 25 yard gains and Hurts 30 yard gain , our biggest runs in the entire game, it brings our total rushing yards to 129. Then if you take away Stewart’s 25 yard run it’s 104 rushing yards. Basically you are going from 6.5 to 3.5. Those big runs were the rare times we weren’t taking losses and 2 yard games. Clemson wasn’t concerned about Jalen at all, and sold out to stop the run. More or less it was a miracle everytime we scored because it either meant 1) Jalen hit a receiver for a big gain or 2) Bo got behind the defense

The biggest and most important stats were a qbr of 25 and 2-15 on 3rd down. Without either we aren’t giving them 99 plays. Point is that game had nothing to do with scoring too fast, and everything to do with scoring in general. It took 45 points to beat them the year before and would’ve taken about that much to feel safe in beating them in 2016.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Did we watch the same game?

If you want to talk about being too fast, Alabama took 23 seconds per play against Clemson while it averaged 26.6 seconds per play the rest of the year. I chalk that up to Sark calling plays in faster than Lane did.

That game was not lost because Alabama scored too fast throughout the game.

You nailed the reason we lost that game right there. I remember thinking in the 1st quarter if we keep playing at that quick tempo we're playing right into Clemson's hands. Take away those 3.6 seconds per play over the course of the game and Clemson never has time for the last drive.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You nailed the reason we lost that game right there. I remember thinking in the 1st quarter if we keep playing at that quick tempo we're playing right into Clemson's hands. Take away those 3.6 seconds per play over the course of the game and Clemson never has time for the last drive.
Without knowing about the out of bounds plays. There were exactly 43 plays where the clock could’ve been running prior to the snap. If none of them were out of bounds plays then that means that compared to our average we left 2:58 on the field... the problem is that once Clemson got the ball for the game winner it was 2:07. Meaning that the outcome likely doesn’t change, just the score and the agonizing memory of Renfrow getting a td off a pick play to end it.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Without knowing about the out of bounds plays. There were exactly 43 plays where the clock could’ve been running prior to the snap. If none of them were out of bounds plays then that means that compared to our average we left 2:58 on the field... the problem is that once Clemson got the ball for the game winner it was 2:07. Meaning that the outcome likely doesn’t change, just the score and the agonizing memory of Renfrow getting a td off a pick play to end it.
I can't go back and look at every play to know, but I suspect Clemson's TD right before the half wouldn't have happened because the time wouldn't have been there. They would have just run the clock out to get to the locker room.

Then again, they were trying to do that until Alabama missed a tackle on a simple screen play...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can't go back and look at every play to know, but I suspect Clemson's TD right before the half wouldn't have happened because the time wouldn't have been there. They would have just run the clock out to get to the locker room.

Then again, they were trying to do that until Alabama missed a tackle on a simple screen play...
Yeah I think that was probably THE drive that could’ve potentially changed the game had we ran that 2:58 off, but again I really don’t want to watch that game again from whistle to whistle again just to find out if we went out of bounds.

But I think a lot went wrong in that game but not trying to pound the ball or scoring too fast weren’t among them. Clemson stopped Henry the year before, the only differences is that Jake Coker could attack them vertically and Lane Kiffin was in the zone calling the shots ( not saying Lane is far superior to sark but it’s kinda hard to expect greatness from a coordinator who has 1 week with a qb that can’t throw)

I would say probably the biggest thing is not related to Jalen would be we went in that game without Eddie Jackson. I don’t think Deshaun would’ve been as confident throwing some of those darts when Eddie was on the side he was throwing. I know for a fact that Eddie wouldn’t let them pick him on the game winner

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah I think that was probably THE drive that could’ve potentially changed the game had we ran that 2:58 off, but again I really don’t want to watch that game again from whistle to whistle again just to find out if we went out of bounds.

But I think a lot went wrong in that game but not trying to pound the ball or scoring too fast weren’t among them. Clemson stopped Henry the year before, the only differences is that Jake Coker could attack them vertically and Lane Kiffin was in the zone calling the shots ( not saying Lane is far superior to sark but it’s kinda hard to expect greatness from a coordinator who has 1 week with a qb that can’t throw)

I would say probably the biggest thing is not related to Jalen would be we went in that game without Eddie Jackson. I don’t think Deshaun would’ve been as confident throwing some of those darts when Eddie was on the side he was throwing. I know for a fact that Eddie wouldn’t let them pick him on the game winner
Only thing I would add was the loss of SDH. Other than that, you nailed it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

to me, that play is when we lost the game. iirc, we had kept them completely bottled up until that point, and once they got that play, they got the d on our heels and it seemed like they didn't recover all night. and the o didn't do them any favors. once bo went out with the leg injury, we were screwed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
to me, that play is when we lost the game. iirc, we had kept them completely bottled up until that point, and once they got that play, they got the d on our heels and it seemed like they didn't recover all night. and the o didn't do them any favors. once bo went out with the leg injury, we were screwed.
Yep. It was the first time all game Clemson was able to find its rhythm and get the offense clicking.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Has anyone looked at the stats since 2015 for Passing and Rushing per season? We've been balanced in passing/Rushing game since 2015. I don't think anything will change for 2019.. just slightly more running game than passing. I expect Tua to have several 300 yard passing games.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not following you. If we had used an extra 2:58, wouldn't the game have been over before their last drive?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.