Question: Will Bama ever return to a physical running game?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree that the coaching made a difference in this last game, but I think the first time they won had more to do with their having a hotshot QB than with coaching.

In the first two NC games they had a great QB while we had mediocre ones at best. Either team could have won both games, but the point is that we played them toe-to-toe. When we both had mediocre QBs in 2017, we handled them easily. I think it's interesting that the one time we both had great QBs they slaughtered us. A lot of it was due to bad coaching during the game, but I think it was also the overall coaching philosophy that led us away from a physical running game (with competent passing for balance) and hard-nosed defense.
Are you forgetting that you fired Kiffin a week before that game, and that your play calling and tempo both changed during the Clemson game? That is coaching (or play calling, but by the OC, so coaching).

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IDK. It could be. I expect a good offense. I think it's just a matter if the defense gels or not...
That is precisely why I made my statement, and I should have been clearer. I think the new staff should be a massive upgrade over last year's from top to bottom. There is no doubt that as long as Tua is healthy we should be able to score a lot of points, with the caveat that Tua will have to mature as a QB. Maturity meaning, play within himself, see the entire field not just throwing to the streaking WR on a go route, avoid pressure and throw the damn ball out of bounds rather than taking an unnecessary sack and hit. My concern is at LB and the secondary. I know we have talent everywhere and some returning experience, but, as Earle said, the defense needs to gel quickly. If we can avoid the injury bug of the past 2-3 years on defense then I may have to eat my words, and I will be here for hopefully, an unsavory meal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is precisely why I made my statement, and I should have been clearer. I think the new staff should be a massive upgrade over last year's from top to bottom. There is no doubt that as long as Tua is healthy we should be able to score a lot of points, with the caveat that Tua will have to mature as a QB. Maturity meaning, play within himself, see the entire field not just throwing to the streaking WR on a go route, avoid pressure and throw the damn ball out of bounds rather than taking an unnecessary sack and hit. My concern is at LB and the secondary. I know we have talent everywhere and some returning experience, but, as Earle said, the defense needs to gel quickly. If we can avoid the injury bug of the past 2-3 years on defense then I may have to eat my words, and I will be here for hopefully, an unsavory meal.
This very well sums up the way that I feel going into the season. Alabama has more developed talent than any other team in the nation, but there is work to be done. Winning championships is not easy, and it is not supposed to be.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The secondary is probably going to be the best we have had for some time, linebacker is probably going to be a question mark depending on Lewis’s health. But overall we are probably going to be better on defense than we were last year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The secondary is probably going to be the best we have had for some time, linebacker is probably going to be a question mark depending on Lewis’s health. But overall we are probably going to be better on defense than we were last year.
i certainly hope so, because last year was atrocious at times.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Once Diggs went down, our secondary became a serious problem. We have more experience and talent coming back this year.
Diggs looked so much better last year than he did the year before. I am hoping the others improve as much as he did between one year to the next.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Are you forgetting that you fired Kiffin a week before that game, and that your play calling and tempo both changed during the Clemson game? That is coaching (or play calling, but by the OC, so coaching).
I think if they had played Bryant we would have won the game, Kiffin or no Kiffin.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
It would be hard to imagine that we wouldn't be better all around this year than we were last year.

I'm far from a program insider, but I'm sure that the last game rankled Coach Saban more than anyone knows, not because of any bitterness toward Clemson but because that performance goes against the grain of everything we know about him since he's been with the program. I'll be very surprised if the mental attitude of this team and staff isn't unrecognizable compared to last year's team. All of his off-season hires seem to point to that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.