Link: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 68
  1. #40
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,884

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    There is also the fact that Alabama is vastly improved since Saban arrived. Games that were somewhat competitive before are now 40 point blowouts. Heck, fans always had at least a little bit of worry about a game, even against lesser opponents. That simply is not the case anymore for Alabama fans.

    Add the cost of attending so many destination games and Alabama fans face a situation unique to the sport.

    And I think this is part of it, too.


    If you're an Alabama fan but live a long way like I do, it's a case of, "Well, it's easy to get to Atlanta from Dallas (either by air or by car - you just get on I-20 and drive). I'd really like to see one of the championship games."

    Consider how the post-season as really done us in with Dallas.

    We lost to Ohio St the year the national title game was here or I'd have gone.
    Last year, we wound up with Oklahoma and wanted to cut their speed and cut out any home field advantage, so we chose Miami.

    I was actually going to go to the Clemson title game in Tampa (where we lost to Watson) because my sister's house was four miles from Raymond James. But two days before the game, I came down with a bad flu bug. Let's just say that's not a fun way to spend your week vacay, and it's worse when you lose the way we did.

    But given my distance, I'm now to the point of "have I seen them play that team" or "is this the biggest reg season game" or "I'd like to go to a playoff game."

    And then you have the fact that since the last couple of games in Atlanta have been against Georgia, the cost is insane.

    I DID go to Michigan here in 2012 (and took my son).

    I didn't go to the Mich St playoff, mostly because I worked that day and have a real reluctance to be out on the road on New Year's Eve. (Had the train system run close to Jerry World, I'd have gone to that game as well).

    As far as USC, my son was the new mascot at high school and we were placing him first (including saving to send him to the Citrus Bowl).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  2. #41
    BamaNation All-SEC bamatex82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Greenville, TX
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    When I was student, a long time ago in a galaxy far away, we paid an activity fee. Tickets were free my freshman year. They went up to $10 by my senior year. One year I bought a ticket to the Sugar Bowl when we played Arkansas to win the MNC. I still have the ticket. My wife created a shadow box of Bama paraphernalia to hang on my wall. I love to show people that ticket. It was $10. There are 2 other tickets in that shadow box. They are for the UT game in the early '80s. Talk about inflation! They were $15 each. Game was when Curry was coaching and we beat UT like a drum that day.

    This has no direct bearings on the topic. It's just my early days have shaped how much I think I should pay. Most I've ever paid has been last year's homecoming game against Missouri. I paid $130 for upper deck seats. Too much lol.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  3. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    5,625

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Someone joked about dorky fans but I think there's something to that, as well.

    I'm not making a judgment on how anyone enjoys the game, but I think the Big Sort has made snobby fans snobbier and has made crazy fans crazier.

  4. #43
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,704

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Normally,.my dad and I have used the opening game as a destination trip to spend some quality time together. We have much more enjoyed the opening games in Dallas than Atlanta. I kind of hate to see those go although I wont br attending the Duke game which is ridiculous as a marquee opener. I always hoped the would have moved the opening venue around like DC, NYC, Chicago, or Boston to take our brand on the road into some other markets.

    It will be neat to have some H&Hs with Texas, Okie, and ND but the ticket opportunity to make the return trip to their stadium will likely be unavailable as the ticket allotment will likely be less than a neutral site venue.

    Honestly, the schools probably dont want to do it, but you probably have to discuss whether they recover some lost revenue by adding a 9th conference game rather peddling these mini packages with the crap games. An extra conference game probably helps ticket revenue and TV revenue both. Whereas now it looks like one is suffering at the benefit of the other with the weak scheduling.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  5. #44
    BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    4,267

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    So, if I read this right, you have to pay $395 for the seat, $30 processing, and $160 donation. Then, for the cheapest plan, $145 per ticket and $15 order fee.

    So, if my math is correct, that comes to $1,035 for 3 games, or $345 per game. 2 of which are crap cupcake games. In the south upper end zone as well, good luck seeing much.

    Those prices are ridiculous, reminds me why I love my HDTV and couch so much. Itís a better view also.

  6. #45
    BamaNation All-SEC TiderMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Moody, AL.
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    So, if I read this right, you have to pay $395 for the seat, $30 processing, and $160 donation. Then, for the cheapest plan, $145 per ticket and $15 order fee.

    So, if my math is correct, that comes to $1,035 for 3 games, or $345 per game. 2 of which are crap cupcake games. In the south upper end zone as well, good luck seeing much.

    Those prices are ridiculous, reminds me why I love my HDTV and couch so much. It’s a better view also.
    Your math is not correct. For the season ticket package that they are offering: You will pay a donation fee of $160, $ 395 for a season ticket (1 ticket for each of the 7 home games) and a $ 30 processing fee for a total of $ 585 - which is a little over $ 83 per game.

    They also have 3 game, 4 game, and 5 game mini-ticket packages available that you can do without paying a donation fee.

  7. #46
    BamaNation First Team DogPatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    291

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post
    Your math is not correct.
    Whew. Glad to know that.

  8. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    11,676

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    We T
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    You need to tell me where to find these people.
    You won’t. It’s a total straw man argument.

    I’m basically joe six pack. I’m lower middle class in income. I used to go to Tuscaloosa a couple of times a year to see the games, and I am fortunate to know someone plugged into the athletic dept through a current employee whereby I could tailgate on Bryant Dr through this contact with all the free food and drink that I want. I stopped going to games two years ago cold turkey. One of the reasons? The schedule. I want to watch a game against a worthy ooc opponent, not against a directional school that will never really be competitive. I simply will not spend that kind of money in gas and other expenses to watch what we all know up front will be a blow out.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; July 24th, 2019 at 09:56 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  9. #48
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NW AL
    Posts
    6,539

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    I very rarely agree with Clay Travis on anything, but one thing heís gotten right is this- these large stadiums were built for a bygone era. With all of the TV options & other factors, I think youíll see more & more of this.

    As far as the south end zone packages are concerned, Iíll never pay more than face value for end zone seats. I donít care how the market it (I.e., the Zone).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,515

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    We T

    You won’t. It’s a total straw man argument.

    I’m basically joe six pack. I’m lower middle class in income. I used to go to Tuscaloosa a couple of times a year to see the games, and I am fortunate to know someone plugged into the athletic dept through a current employee whereby I could tailgate on Bryant Dr through this contact with all the free food and drink that I want. I stopped going to games two years ago cold turkey. One of the reasons? The schedule. I want to watch a game against a worthy ooc opponent, not against a directional school that will never really be competitive. I simply will not spend that kind of money in gas and other expenses to watch what we all know up front will be a blow out.
    Total straw man argument? I question how many games youíve been to in the last 4 years, let alone how many scalpers youíve actually talked to because itís a well known fact that youíll get tickets well under face value to 90% of games (to include ďbigĒ SEC games) 2hrs prior to game time. I go , and have gone,to EVERY Alabama home game since 2014. Iím there from 6 am til about 4 hrs after the game is over and see scalpers all day long. With the exception of a handful of games (All LSU games, 2014 IB, and 2015 Ole Miss) Iíve seen handfulls of tickets go down under $50 everytime despite it being Auburn, Tennessee, or an SEC opponent.

    Point is folks just arenít coming to games regardless of the opponent. Making a schedule more ďexcitingĒ isnít going to bring all of the fans from the 90ís to the first 5 years of the Saban era back.

  11. #50
    BamaNation First Team DogPatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    291

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Total straw man argument? I question how many games you’ve been to in the last 4 years, let alone how many scalpers you’ve actually talked to because it’s a well known fact that you’ll get tickets well under face value to 90% of games (to include “big” SEC games) 2hrs prior to game time. I go , and have gone,to EVERY Alabama home game since 2014. I’m there from 6 am til about 4 hrs after the game is over and see scalpers all day long. With the exception of a handful of games (All LSU games, 2014 IB, and 2015 Ole Miss) I’ve seen handfulls of tickets go down under $50 everytime despite it being Auburn, Tennessee, or an SEC opponent.

    Point is folks just aren’t coming to games regardless of the opponent. Making a schedule more “exciting” isn’t going to bring all of the fans from the 90’s to the first 5 years of the Saban era back.
    As a UA employee, I used to get faculty/staff season tickets every year. The least year I got them, 2016, I tried to GIVE my tickets to a scalper because I was working, and he wouldn't take them because he said he couldn't sell them. And that was the Mississippi State game.

  12. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,862

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    I very rarely agree with Clay Travis on anything, but one thing heís gotten right is this- these large stadiums were built for a bygone era. With all of the TV options & other factors, I think youíll see more & more of this.
    The NFL figured this out decades ago - you need a stadium large enough to allow for a healthy secondary ticket market, but small enough to keep demand for tickets high at all times, even when a team has a poor season. TV is the rain maker, but the fans want to be able to watch a game at home once each season. But very few football fans actually want to attend every game.

    It is possible to get fans into the stadium. Look at MLB. They still attract healthy crowds where teams have a solid fan base, and they have 10 times as many home games each season as college or NFL teams. But sellouts are just not as common anymore - in any sport.

  13. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,515

    Re: UA Offering Season and Mini-Package Tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The NFL figured this out decades ago - you need a stadium large enough to allow for a healthy secondary ticket market, but small enough to keep demand for tickets high at all times, even when a team has a poor season. TV is the rain maker, but the fans want to be able to watch a game at home once each season. But very few football fans actually want to attend every game.

    It is possible to get fans into the stadium. Look at MLB. They still attract healthy crowds where teams have a solid fan base, and they have 10 times as many home games each season as college or NFL teams. But sellouts are just not as common anymore - in any sport.
    MLB also has an entire different fan base as well, and an entire different season ticket holder situation. Most of your casual MLB fans donít go for Wins and Losses, but go for the feel of the game, the promotion that night, or just something to do. Promotion nights (especially concerts, thirsty Thursdays, and bobble head nights) drive huge crowds. You also have those 50/50 raffles every night in which a fan can walk away with anywhere from 6k to 25k depending on the pot. MLB games are also typically at decent times of the day where you can go and not worry that much about work the next morning and are not burning up unless you go on a Sunday or that rare week day game.

    Also there are far different options to be a season ticket holder, and many incentives to be one as well. For example, if you wanted to be an A-list member for the Atlanta Braves right now then you could get a partial season ticket package and choose to make it a personal package, a business package, or a premium package. With all of them you get free parking, discounted food, meet and greets with players and staff throughout the year, first options for post season and the 2021 All Star game, and discounted merchandise. If you only wanted to go to certain amount of games, weíll say 8 out of 30, then you can donate those 22 tickets back to the Braves for upgraded seats with no extra cost. Also like Iíve hinted at, there really isnít a wait list unless you get into very specific seating.

    The MLB goes out of its way to make casual fans and season ticket holders extremely happy like no other sport with perks and overall experience. But also consider the number of games, types of people going, and type of game. The Atlanta Braves can take more financial risks for fan happiness than Alabama because you are talking about 80 plus games vs 8 games.

    But I do think Alabama should do some things like the Braves do to make the fan experience better, like maybe have fan zones because your casual fan is only going to go and see the Bryant Museum only so many times. The Braves built an area behind the stadium with bars and shops called the Battery in which fans could mingle before, during, and after the game and get a 1st class experience. They have made bank because of it. I have came around to UAfan4lifeís ( sorry if misspelled) idea of a concert or something after some of the cream puff games, but the problem with that is that you have no idea if that game is a 11 am, 3pm, or a 7pm game while the Braves know 95% of the game times in January already.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 25th, 2019 at 07:51 AM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear