Dabo on Recruiting in Alabama - “I’m Kind of Like Osama Bin Dabo” - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Re: Dabo on Recruiting in Alabama - “I’m Kind of Like Osama Bin Dabo”

Finally got my zest back. Dabo, just stop.

BamaNation All-American

A little context. The "Osama Bin Dabo" quote was from an interview by Coach K on his Sirius radio program on Feb 14, 2019. The quoted section below is from a recent Bamamag post. IMO, this comment by Dabo at this time and in this context seems benign. I guess al.com just wanted a little attention and decided to provoke the thin-skinned among Bama's faithful and provide more grist for the "never Dabo" crowd. As most of you know, Coaches Saban and Swinney are genuinely good friends. Coach Saban tried VERY hard to hire Coach Swinney while at Alabama, not sure but maybe twice.

Per the article:

It just went under the radar.

That’s really the only explanation for why Dabo Swinney’s “Osama bin Dabo” comment hasn’t been a topic of conversation.

Until now.

First, the questions asked of Swinney were in jest: Is there a wall around the state of Alabama that doesn’t let you in anymore? Or around Pelham, Alabama? Can you still go home?

The answer:

“I think it was all fun and games early on. It was, 'Aww, isn’t that sweet’ and all that stuff. I don’t know about walls, but I am kinda like Osama bin Dabo,” Swinney said, laughing. “I have to navigate my way through the caves and back channels too make my way through Alabama these days. They aren’t happy to see me, but it’s all good. It’s a good problem.”

Now, for a little context.

Swinney was a guest on Sirius XM’s “Basketball & Beyond with Coach K.” Yes, that Coach K, as in Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. The interview took place Feb. 14, and the topics were geared to the CFP national championship win over Alabama just weeks before.

Krzyzewski asked Swinney whether there was a wall around his home state because of his success against Alabama in two of the past three seasons.

“It’s almost like you are playing your cousin or your brother. Even though you are brothers, and they blow the whistle, you want to compete and you want to win," Swinney continued. "But when it’s over, you hate you lost. You are like, ‘Crap, I lost. But at least it’s to my brother.’ I think they’ve made me a stepbrother now. But I am still in the family.”

So, how does a conversation between two high-profile coaches like that fly under the radar for months?

Or better yet, why is it a topic of conversation now?

Well, the first question is still an unknown, but we have some clarity on how it came to light.

BamaNation First Team bvandegraff's Avatar

I don't know, I was annoyed for about 30 seconds, but in context, it's just grist for the CFB media summer mill. Really, noone in the media ever went broke trying to get under the skin of the Alabama faithful.

BamaNation First Team

Much ado about nothing. People are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sensitive these days. I thought it was delivered in a tongue and cheek manner.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

I think he's full of crap. I have no problem with the comparison. I have no problem with the Pearl Harbor comparison Coach Saban made. They aren't comparing the severity of the events or people. In other words, Nick Saban wasn't saying losing a football game was on the same level of seriousness as Pearl Harbor being bombed. He was saying that just like those people back then had to dig deep and overcome, so too would his players. Yeah, most people aren't going to like comparing anything war related to sports. I get it.

Anyway, that's not my problem with good ole Dabo here. My problem is him saying he doesn't really feel welcome in Alabama anymore. That's a load of bull. I guarantee he's never felt anything but welcome when he comes back home. Now if he's recruiting a player here, sure. But just coming home to visit? Come on. No, this is a fake persona he's built, this aw shucks I'm a good ole boy that don't know much? Its all an act. I don't like it, but a lot of people seem to buy it, so whatever.

I really don’t give a good gosh darn about the context. I still see it as trolling. You can say he framed it in his aw shucks demeanor, but we all know it was a jab at his home state .
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

He earned his right to talk, but everyone has their right to not listen.

I think he is making up for all those years listening to Spurrier gloat and people using the term “Clemsoning”.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

The guy has beaten Saban 2 out of 3 in the big game. I doubt that he cares what anyone thinks of his comments. And if I’m a Clemson fan, I could care less.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I love me some off season.

BamaNation First Team

What really gets me is the media saying he has won 2 out of 3 national titles which would be true if we had only played 3 times but he has actually won 2 out of 4. We won 2 and Clemson won 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Bama54 View Post
    What really gets me is the media saying he has won 2 out of 3 national titles which would be true if we had only played 3 times but he has actually won 2 out of 4. We won 2 and Clemson won 2.
    Not that it radically changes things because they didn't make it in 2018, but it's 2 of 3 appearances, which is impressive. Both Bama teams Clemson beat were really, really good.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Dabo just Dabo"ed himself without even trying to..

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10Bama54 View Post
    Clemson HAS won 2 out of 3 titles, there’s nothing wrong with the media pointing that out.