Dabo on Recruiting in Alabama - “I’m Kind of Like Osama Bin Dabo”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree. The comment didn’t bother me at all. His “aww shucks” persona has to stop though. It can’t be real. If it is real, that’s even worse...
I don't have a problem with the comment or the "aww shucks" persona. It seems many of the highly successful college football coaches over the past 20 to 30 years have what I call "signature" type personalities.

Bobby Bowden- Had an over the top "Aww shucks, golly bee Jesus loves you and mama's homemade biscuits.." But on the field instructed his players to "play to the echo of the whistle" and didn't mind dog stomping you in front of God and evah-body.

Steve Spurrier- Do I even need to describe the "Ole Ball Coach"? LOL! Just a pure arrogant, smart elic, smug faced persona who's entire mission on gameday was not only to win but to embarrass you. Then everytime a microphone was put in his face he found a way to insult your program through witty, off handed, passive aggressive comments.

Nick Saban- Is perceived as a miserable, hard nosed, drill sergeant who has gotten out of bed in a bad mood most of his life.

Urban Meyer- Had a completely "I'm just better than you" arrogant persona about him. Drove opposing fanbases nuts.

That's just to name a few. But let's be honest. It wasn't the personalities that rubbed people wrong, it was the winning, and the winning against "your" team.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I don't have a problem with the comment or the "aww shucks" persona. It seems many of the highly successful college football coaches over the past 20 to 30 years have what I call "signature" type personalities.

Bobby Bowden- Had an over the top "Aww shucks, golly bee Jesus loves you and mama's homemade biscuits.." But on the field instructed his players to "play to the echo of the whistle" and didn't mind dog stomping you in front of God and evah-body.

Steve Spurrier- Do I even need to describe the "Ole Ball Coach"? LOL! Just a pure arrogant, smart elic, smug faced persona who's entire mission on gameday was not only to win but to embarrass you. Then everytime a microphone was put in his face he found a way to insult your program through witty, off handed, passive aggressive comments.

Nick Saban- Is perceived as a miserable, hard nosed, drill sergeant who has gotten out of bed in a bad mood most of his life.

Urban Meyer- Had a completely "I'm just better than you" arrogant persona about him. Drove opposing fanbases nuts.

That's just to name a few. But let's be honest. It wasn't the personalities that rubbed people wrong, it was the winning, and the winning against "your" team.
Fanbases just try to nitpik winners and like it or not, Dabo is a winner now. I seem to remember Alabama fans hating Coach Saban when he was at LSU.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
This just might be the best thing i've ever read on tidefans...if Clempson did not curb stomp us those comments by Dabo would have never been talked about...i used to love me some finebaum and still like him...but i can certainly see why others dont.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Give the ole boy his due he has turned Clemson into a powerhouse, and they like Bama aren't going away anytime soon. As far as his comments Dabo is who he is and he is going to run that mouth and it hasn't just started recently. I will say this though I would like to go him as The Rock would do and ask him what he thought about recruiting in Alabama, and then right before he speaks throw the hand up and let him know "It does not matter what you think". So as far as I'm concerned I couldn't care any less about what he says.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
IMO, I do not think his intent was to make light or hurt anyone family member associated with 9/11. I feel he was trying to be funny and 9/11 is not something to joke about. Bottom line, he made a stupid comment.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, I do not think his intent was to make light or hurt anyone family member associated with 9/11. I feel he was trying to be funny and 9/11 is not something to joke about. Bottom line, he made a stupid comment.
I just think those trying to make this an issue are just looking for an argument OR are looking for another reason to just not like Dabo.

Yeah, it might not have been the best metaphor, but the last think on his mind was trying to dis the American soldier.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
A little context. The "Osama Bin Dabo" quote was from an interview by Coach K on his Sirius radio program on Feb 14, 2019. The quoted section below is from a recent Bamamag post. IMO, this comment by Dabo at this time and in this context seems benign. I guess al.com just wanted a little attention and decided to provoke the thin-skinned among Bama's faithful and provide more grist for the "never Dabo" crowd. As most of you know, Coaches Saban and Swinney are genuinely good friends. Coach Saban tried VERY hard to hire Coach Swinney while at Alabama, not sure but maybe twice.

Per the article:

It just went under the radar.

That’s really the only explanation for why Dabo Swinney’s “Osama bin Dabo” comment hasn’t been a topic of conversation.

Until now.

First, the questions asked of Swinney were in jest: Is there a wall around the state of Alabama that doesn’t let you in anymore? Or around Pelham, Alabama? Can you still go home?

The answer:

“I think it was all fun and games early on. It was, 'Aww, isn’t that sweet’ and all that stuff. I don’t know about walls, but I am kinda like Osama bin Dabo,” Swinney said, laughing. “I have to navigate my way through the caves and back channels too make my way through Alabama these days. They aren’t happy to see me, but it’s all good. It’s a good problem.”

Now, for a little context.

Swinney was a guest on Sirius XM’s “Basketball & Beyond with Coach K.” Yes, that Coach K, as in Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. The interview took place Feb. 14, and the topics were geared to the CFP national championship win over Alabama just weeks before.

Krzyzewski asked Swinney whether there was a wall around his home state because of his success against Alabama in two of the past three seasons.

“It’s almost like you are playing your cousin or your brother. Even though you are brothers, and they blow the whistle, you want to compete and you want to win," Swinney continued. "But when it’s over, you hate you lost. You are like, ‘Crap, I lost. But at least it’s to my brother.’ I think they’ve made me a stepbrother now. But I am still in the family.”

So, how does a conversation between two high-profile coaches like that fly under the radar for months?

Or better yet, why is it a topic of conversation now?

Well, the first question is still an unknown, but we have some clarity on how it came to light.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I don't know, I was annoyed for about 30 seconds, but in context, it's just grist for the CFB media summer mill. Really, noone in the media ever went broke trying to get under the skin of the Alabama faithful.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Much ado about nothing. People are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sensitive these days. I thought it was delivered in a tongue and cheek manner.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think he's full of crap. I have no problem with the comparison. I have no problem with the Pearl Harbor comparison Coach Saban made. They aren't comparing the severity of the events or people. In other words, Nick Saban wasn't saying losing a football game was on the same level of seriousness as Pearl Harbor being bombed. He was saying that just like those people back then had to dig deep and overcome, so too would his players. Yeah, most people aren't going to like comparing anything war related to sports. I get it.

Anyway, that's not my problem with good ole Dabo here. My problem is him saying he doesn't really feel welcome in Alabama anymore. That's a load of bull. I guarantee he's never felt anything but welcome when he comes back home. Now if he's recruiting a player here, sure. But just coming home to visit? Come on. No, this is a fake persona he's built, this aw shucks I'm a good ole boy that don't know much? Its all an act. I don't like it, but a lot of people seem to buy it, so whatever.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I really don’t give a good gosh darn about the context. I still see it as trolling. You can say he framed it in his aw shucks demeanor, but we all know it was a jab at his home state .

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He earned his right to talk, but everyone has their right to not listen.

I think he is making up for all those years listening to Spurrier gloat and people using the term “Clemsoning”.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The guy has beaten Saban 2 out of 3 in the big game. I doubt that he cares what anyone thinks of his comments. And if I’m a Clemson fan, I could care less.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
What really gets me is the media saying he has won 2 out of 3 national titles which would be true if we had only played 3 times but he has actually won 2 out of 4. We won 2 and Clemson won 2.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What really gets me is the media saying he has won 2 out of 3 national titles which would be true if we had only played 3 times but he has actually won 2 out of 4. We won 2 and Clemson won 2.
Not that it radically changes things because they didn't make it in 2018, but it's 2 of 3 appearances, which is impressive. Both Bama teams Clemson beat were really, really good.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Clemson HAS won 2 out of 3 titles, there’s nothing wrong with the media pointing that out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We won 1 title vs Clemson, and Clemson has won 2 out of 3 against us. Those are the only ones he has coached in. So they are correct if they said it how you said it.

It really doesn’t matter I doubt the Patriots care that 3 out of the last 5 doesn’t have the same ring as 3 out 4. Or that the Steelers are 6-2 in SBs while they are 6-5.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.